Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Valve Tick??? 0.o

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 01:03 PM
pdpMIATA

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Valve Tick??? 0.o

On my last oil change, the guys at the infiniti dealer i go to didn't properly install the oil cap on, so it began to burn. Sent it to back to them, and they "replaced" the filter. My concern was topping off the oil, but they said not to worry about it.

Driving it back home, I smelled burning again, and I noticed I was leaking oil. This time, it was because whomever replaced the filter, spilled oil and never bothered cleaning it up.

I get my car back, and everything is back to normal, but now....i hear this:

Video - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

As you can hear, the ticking goes away and comes back within a 5-10 second interval.

Sound ONLY comes from the right side.

I didn't want to spam videos, but if I rev a little bit, the ticking becomes quicker and slightly louder. Don't know if the sound goes away upon higher revving...didn't try it yet.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance everyone!
Old 02-02-2012, 01:39 PM
RX Law

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Placebo Effect

Hi, sometimes this happens. You are understandably frustrated that something went wrong in service. I would be. If they spilled oil then all that happened is it burnt off. Smells real bad, like something is wrong. I have had this happen to me in the past (not with infiniti) and thought something was awfully wrong. No harm though.

If I understand you correctly, there was no other problem (no warning lights, over heat, etc.), just that some oil spilled?

Now your confidence is shaken and your attention is drawn to the engine. Your senses are heightened, looking and listening if everything is OK. I bet when your driving your not thinking about weekend plans or an assignment at work. I bet you dont notice the chick in the white lexis at the light next to you, or hear the Honda civic with a blow off valve behind you. You are thinking about your car, your engine and then - "whats that noise"? FInd yourself lowering your radio, opening a window, reving the engine (making vidoes of your front tire)?

Thus, with all that focus, the car begins to sound different. Remember the magic eye illusion books as a kid?

My car makes the smae exact sound I hear in your video. It is the valves, and they can be adjusted with simple service to quiet them down. Sometimes they act up, other times I dont hear them at all. I confirmed this is normal with my dealer (because i too was bothered by it for awhile - and listened for it). Once i heard dealer start a brand new G37 in the service gargage for me, and compared the sound, i found it was exactly the same sound and normal. After that it didnt sound as loud to me, and i didnt notice it anymore. The mind is a powerful thing my friend.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:46 PM
RX Law

Oil

Oh one more thing, if in fact the engine noise is not the result of your attention (objectively is louder)- the type/viscosity of the oil they put in the car can cause this. Again, sound is normal.

Anyone disagree?
Old 02-02-2012, 02:01 PM
Beer Magazine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most ticking is the injector tick, which to untrained ears sounds like old school valve ticking. And there is no adjusting valves on a modern car. They are hydraulic.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:29 PM
RX Law

Originally Posted by Beer Magazine
Most ticking is the injector tick, which to untrained ears sounds like old school valve ticking. And there is no adjusting valves on a modern car. They are hydraulic.
Read your owner/service manual. It says otherwise.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:13 AM
pdpMIATA

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Thanks for the advice so far!

Only thing that really made me get so paranoid over the sound was how it gets faster upon revving.

And for every single one of ny oil changes ive used the nissan ester oil 5w-30 from the dealership...hell it costs me about $100 each time.

Any way to find out theyre not just taking my money and throwing in standard oil (apparently they dont put in ester, even tho its recommended, unless you ask)
Old 02-03-2012, 11:52 AM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by pdpMIATA
Any way to find out theyre not just taking my money and throwing in standard oil (apparently they dont put in ester, even tho its recommended, unless you ask)
The only way to know for sure is to change your own oil.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:37 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by 00Max00
The only way to know for sure is to change your own oil.

EGG ZACKLY right! Screw the dealer. DIY, use 5W-30 Mobil 1 and a Wix filter and save 60 bucks.