Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

transmission failure?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 04:52 PM
luckyz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transmission failure?

I just had a scary experience this morning.
I was driving my 2010 G37 7-speed auto on a freeway, and my transmission was in M mode. As I shifted up, I noticed the rpm blipped to 5000, and i shifted again, rpm went up again but not gaining speed, it feels like I was accelerating on neutral.
I immediately changed to full-auto mode, and accelerate again, same thing, engine roared and rpm went up, I lost speed.
I had to coast to a piece of the road where it has wider should area and stop the car and the engine, restarted again, it moved ok.
Has anyone had such incident before?
Old 01-30-2012, 06:07 PM
hadokenuh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Do you have an X? I think I've read somewhere that G37X owners have experienced the power loss. Can't remember the details though.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:40 PM
juicybusa

My 09 did this one time recently. Shut it off and it reset. Had the most recent ecu Tcm update and hasn't repeated.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:13 PM
luckyz

no, it is a rear wheel drive
Old 01-30-2012, 07:14 PM
luckyz

i hope it is just firmware issue.
worst nightmare would be it developed as mechanic problem after warranty expires.

Originally Posted by juicybusa
My 09 did this one time recently. Shut it off and it reset. Had the most recent ecu Tcm update and hasn't repeated.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:38 AM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by luckyz
i hope it is just firmware issue.
worst nightmare would be it developed as mechanic problem after warranty expires.
drivetrain warranty - 120,000 isn't it?
Old 01-31-2012, 10:33 AM
mikelebron

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes... I have had this issue though never as severe as you though... I also have noticed its more pronounced when its cold and shifting in manual at lower speeds... Mine jumps about 500 rpm before it shifts like you said, it feels like it in neutral... I have even SLAMMED it in gear due to this.. almost as if I neutral dropped it.

If you drive real slow and perform the shifts in manual you can produce it almost all the time from 2nd to 3rd and some times 4th to 5th... I might also bring it in.. My experience from way back in the days of a Turbo 450 - that was typically the tranny slipping or torque converter not properly engaging...

Thank god mine is leased.. the more I drive it the more I love the car but also the more I hate the tranny - I think its only a matter of time this sloppy tranny blows... I have scrapped all my mods I had planned due to the shotty tranny...Im so pissed as I love the car otherwise..
Old 01-31-2012, 10:40 AM
INFINITI G37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi
my friend's g37 2010 had the same issue, the exact same one,, he took it to the dealership and had some sort of transmission re-programming..
But there is no damage or malfunctioning of the gear.. It's just a programming issue, that's all..

Best wishes
Old 01-31-2012, 02:32 PM
luckyz

I share lots of sympathy on the tranny. I am just learning to ignore it these days.

Originally Posted by mikelebron
Yes... I have had this issue though never as severe as you though... I also have noticed its more pronounced when its cold and shifting in manual at lower speeds... Mine jumps about 500 rpm before it shifts like you said, it feels like it in neutral... I have even SLAMMED it in gear due to this.. almost as if I neutral dropped it.

If you drive real slow and perform the shifts in manual you can produce it almost all the time from 2nd to 3rd and some times 4th to 5th... I might also bring it in.. My experience from way back in the days of a Turbo 450 - that was typically the tranny slipping or torque converter not properly engaging...

Thank god mine is leased.. the more I drive it the more I love the car but also the more I hate the tranny - I think its only a matter of time this sloppy tranny blows... I have scrapped all my mods I had planned due to the shotty tranny...Im so pissed as I love the car otherwise..
Old 01-31-2012, 02:44 PM
luckyz

thanks, at least that gives me expectations of what will happen.
Originally Posted by INFINITI G37
Hi
my friend's g37 2010 had the same issue, the exact same one,, he took it to the dealership and had some sort of transmission re-programming..
But there is no damage or malfunctioning of the gear.. It's just a programming issue, that's all..

Best wishes
Old 01-31-2012, 04:10 PM
TheAmazingNik

It happened to mine too. It downshifted and wouldn't change gears and after pulling over and turning it off it wouldn't stop. Then tried it again (off/on) and it got back to normal. I have an 09 37 auto sedan. I'm getting all the updates for the ECU done today, so hopefully that never happens again...