Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Just jumped on the FI ship

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 10:52 PM
dal1307

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
When is the tuing and dyno date? I wanna see your results!
Old 02-05-2012, 12:02 AM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Man. Color me jealous. I'd love the hell outa that on my car.

Prolly kill myself, though.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:54 AM
NoKaOi G37X
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks ANMVQ and JWFISHER for all the info. I'm getting mine installed next week. I was really having second thoughts after reading WEIBOY's issues and almost canceled the SC. Think I'm the first for my dealer to do this install. I'm so nervous and not too excited yet.

I did dynamat my whole car to try and cut down on the road noise and hopefully the Stillen dual exhaust.

I'd like to see your dyno numbers. Thanks again for the write up it was an interesting read, like a suspense novel..LOL enjoy your beast!
Old 02-05-2012, 08:23 AM
jwfisher
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by NoKaOi G37X
Thanks ANMVQ and JWFISHER for all the info. I'm getting mine installed next week.
Congrats in advance - and get ready for a great "G" experience like you've never had before.

A better exhaust is not necessary but is a key to getting the best out of this system. The Stillen exhaust is pretty good.... the ARK exhaust I have is probably even more effective but IMHO is way too loud (so loud I'm looking to get rid of it). But I would strongly suggest you spend your first money on an oil cooler (and one for the tranny too if you have the automatic). I consider the coolers an absolute necessity, more because of inherent Nissan/Infiniti engineering than because of the SC.

As far as "issues", it is critical to establish positive and constructive communications with both your dealer and any/all aftermarket companies that you are working with. Over the years and years in this hobby, you'll have issues, questions, feedback and the only way to resolve any of them is to establish a working relationship right from the start. Constructive work together, not bemoaning your issues on the 'net, is the only way to move forward.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:58 PM
NoKaOi G37X
Registered Member

Thanks jwfisher I'll take your advice to heart as I usually try to do that. I'm getting a Stillen SC, SC warranty, Stillen dual exhaust, Stillen gold street series oil cooler, Eibach Pro lowering kit, Eibach anti roll kit. I thought about a transmission cooler as I have auto but my dealership said I really didn't need it. Maybe I'll get one after I try out the SC.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:09 PM
jwfisher
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
You absolutely need a transmission oil cooler.... you are putting far more stress and heat into that transmission than was intended. Although the same 7-speed also sits behind the 5.6 liter V-8 (which makes much more torque), the acceleration rate is far harder.

It's an easy hook-up; should not be expensive. There are two factory hard lines already plumbed from the tranny that snake around to the side of the front oil pan. The Stillen kit includes two soft lines which start there, snake around the radiator support, and then go to the cooler which is mounted on the lower right side under the bumper, opposite side from the oil cooler. Very easy hook-up.

What's a royal PITA is checking the fluid level, since there isn't a dipstick. And good luck adding any, it's even worse.

Also, per my post above, get a second belt to carry around in the trunk, in case you go thru one. It's not the factory belt. I found that AutoZone didn't stock the required belt because it's obscure... so I carry a spare in case I need it. And also note that you will need to change the supercharger oil according to a schedule (buy the 3-pack from Stillen). I just changed mine yesterday at the 5k mark, and it was a bit darker than new. That was a very simple fluid change, took about 10 minutes. Take note of where the drain tube is underneath the car if you are ever going to do it yourself.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:39 AM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
The V8 7AT is actually a different model.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:50 AM
NoKaOi G37X
Registered Member

Originally Posted by jwfisher
You absolutely need a transmission oil cooler.... you are putting far more stress and heat into that transmission than was intended. Although the same 7-speed also sits behind the 5.6 liter V-8 (which makes much more torque), the acceleration rate is far harder.

It's an easy hook-up; should not be expensive. There are two factory hard lines already plumbed from the tranny that snake around to the side of the front oil pan. The Stillen kit includes two soft lines which start there, snake around the radiator support, and then go to the cooler which is mounted on the lower right side under the bumper, opposite side from the oil cooler. Very easy hook-up.

What's a royal PITA is checking the fluid level, since there isn't a dipstick. And good luck adding any, it's even worse.

Also, per my post above, get a second belt to carry around in the trunk, in case you go thru one. It's not the factory belt. I found that AutoZone didn't stock the required belt because it's obscure... so I carry a spare in case I need it. And also note that you will need to change the supercharger oil according to a schedule (buy the 3-pack from Stillen). I just changed mine yesterday at the 5k mark, and it was a bit darker than new. That was a very simple fluid change, took about 10 minutes. Take note of where the drain tube is underneath the car if you are ever going to do it yourself.
Thanks jwfisher I'll look into getting a tranny cooler. First I have to find out about these Stillen Bucks? Maybe I can use them to get my cooler.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:55 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
jwfisher is 100% right on the tranny cooler, Get it!!! The tuning date is this Saturday . Cant wait to see numbers. Also gonna talk to them about hooking up my tranny temp sensor.. Still can not find anyone to do it.. Glad you went this route,., Kit is GREAT.. The Stillen customer service sux tho, So hope you do not need to talk to them about ANYTHING, Will yell at you and hang up on you if you call back... The worst I have ever had to deal with. Thought it would have been better since I spent almost $7000 on their products.. :/
Old 02-08-2012, 11:32 AM
NoKaOi G37X
Registered Member

"The Stillen customer service sux tho, So hope you do not need to talk to them about ANYTHING, Will yell at you and hang up on you if you call back... The worst I have ever had to deal with. Thought it would have been better since I spent almost $7000 on their products.. :/"

What! They should be bending over backwards to help you! I haven't experienced that yet and I've called a couple times now mostly getting info though. Can't wait to see your numbers! Thanks for the advice on tranny cooler looking into it.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:48 AM
D_Rek

I'll be doing this one day.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:23 AM
Steveo47

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ANMVQ
jwfisher is 100% right on the tranny cooler, Get it!!! The tuning date is this Saturday . Cant wait to see numbers. Also gonna talk to them about hooking up my tranny temp sensor.. Still can not find anyone to do it.. Glad you went this route,., Kit is GREAT.. The Stillen customer service sux tho, So hope you do not need to talk to them about ANYTHING, Will yell at you and hang up on you if you call back... The worst I have ever had to deal with. Thought it would have been better since I spent almost $7000 on their products.. :/
they already got your money so what good are you!who have you been dealing with, ive dealth with 2 people from stillen, margaret and a guy, i wanna say his name is alex but i cant remember, and both were good.

Too bad you dont live closer to edmonton, id love to check out the car!
Old 02-09-2012, 07:46 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Hey Steveo, Been talking to "Steve" the sales manager, Never called me back and some "Clown "Sean.. Who yelled at me when I called about the Stillen bucks and then the last time I called hung up on me.. The car is sick ,. I was just talking to my tuner about their new dyno and he told me it reads 40WHP lower than the heartbreaker dyno.. UG will be luck to see 390 WHP I'm guessing.. We'll see Saturday tho.. Still cant wait to know its running right,.I still get a hickup starting and every now and them I get a slight bump while crushing???
Old 02-09-2012, 07:47 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by NoKaOi G37X
"The Stillen customer service sux tho, So hope you do not need to talk to them about ANYTHING, Will yell at you and hang up on you if you call back... The worst I have ever had to deal with. Thought it would have been better since I spent almost $7000 on their products.. :/"

What! They should be bending over backwards to help you! I haven't experienced that yet and I've called a couple times now mostly getting info though. Can't wait to see your numbers! Thanks for the advice on tranny cooler looking into it.

Thats what I thought but guess not. My money is in their pockets now they want nothing to do with me.. :/
Old 02-09-2012, 04:47 PM
NoKaOi G37X
Registered Member

Sorry to read that. Do you know what the cooler on the passenger side in front of the radiator is for?

Quick Reply: Just jumped on the FI ship