Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Did Infiniti fix the transmission lag for 2012 model

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 01:51 PM
bleu ardoise
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 6mtg37s
Why do people complain about lag in an automatic car? If you don't want lag just get a manual. I honestly think this is one of the most aggressive automatic transmission on the market.
Couldn't agree more....

Plus I have no issues on my 7AT.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:27 PM
dbitf

2011 G37 trani

I owned a 2009 G37. It had the reported heavy downshift problem which the dealer quickly fixed with a software patch and then the car drove great for the rest of the lease. When lease was up I got a 2011 and wish I had never traded up. The shifting and hesitation issues reported by many do exist, though not for all from what I hear. The car is just not fun to drive any more. And no, a test drive won't necessarily reveal the problem. During a day of commuting short distances, the issue will always occur, but sometimes it behaves itself. It will idle lower than it should at lower speeds, hesitate at slow speed acceleration, especially on a small incline; and when slowing down at slow speeds the tach fluctuates a few hundred rpm up and down like it can't make up its mind. It will shift into higher gears at low speeds instead of downshifting. The biggest safety issue is when you are slowing down and then need to accelerate (because the light changed or traffic starts flowing again). If I did not own the 2009 I would have just chalked it up to a poor purchase decision, but I love the G37 when it is running correctly. Switching it to DS mode avoids these issues, but that isn't why I bought an automatic.

Infiniti says they are aware of the issue and are working on a fix. From what I have read, the 2012 has already had the fix applied and they need to work on a software patch for 2011.

Just my input for those who are wondering if they are imagining the problem, or not sure if it is normal. It isn't.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:15 PM
diverdan

No issues with mine, though I haven't been too hard on it yet: Still breaking it in.

The shifts have all been about what I would expect with a torque converter equipped AT.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:43 PM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
No problem here.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:48 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
I have a 2011 and never got the flash done. Mine does not have issues at 70, yes a little lag at 40 but thats mainly because the tranny is having to shift down so MANY gears. Remember its down shifting 3 to 4 gears.....................

Last edited by Tazicon; 12-19-2011 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Edit for being blonde.......
Old 12-19-2011, 06:51 PM
2011G37JOHNBEST

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
no lag for me on my 2011 sedan
Old 12-19-2011, 07:35 PM
nester

Thanks for the responses. I guess I'll go ahead and buy the car. It sounds like whatever the problem was, it was corrected in the 2012 model. I sure hope so and will report back after I get some miles behind me.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:43 PM
mikeb2004

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Get a long test drive and a money back guarantee in writing. The 7AT in the 2011 is dreadful, frustrating, dim-witted, and exasperating. If they did not fix it, I would recommend you avoid this car, or buy a manual trans. I have litte/no faith that they can correct the programming. The programmers of the shift logic obviously have never been behind the wheel of the car. Just get in ANY other car with a 6 or 7 or 8 speed auto and compare. The Infiniti transmission works like there's a temperamental child in the seat next to you randomly picking gears while picking his nose. If I could do it all again, I definitely would not buy this car.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:45 PM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
no issues... my girl's g37x coupe had a relearn and it worked better....
Old 12-21-2011, 08:12 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
like: power, drives like a sports sedan, hid lights are great, sound system, comfortable to be in
dislike: cup holders (what were they thinking?), occasional hiccup with the tranny, should have included some stuff like puddle lamps, retracting mirrors, blinkers in mirrors etc.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:00 PM
BLKG37X

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope they fixed the problem, or at least will fix it when the new style comes out. If not, i won't get the new one. I know fuel economy is the goal, but come on... cruising at 35mph in 5th gear
You want to make a quick pass, so you depress the gas pedal half way to the floor and nothing happens cause it's in 5th gear !!!!
DS helps but it has a mind of its own. One minute it's 20mph in 2nd gear at 3500 rpms, next minute it's 20mph in 3rd gear at 2500 rpm. The car's messing with me.
Thank god for my paddles.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:11 PM
G35Rhino

I had an '09 and the 7 AT was a huge POS. I traded up to 2011...same problems dampened by different transmission program. You won't find it during test drive. It's when the "learning" starts that the problems arise, unless you drive pedal to floor all the time. Slow driving, brake, quick gas...major lag. Does it at other times too but can replicate it 100% that way but not after the battery cable has been disconnected. It's a day or do of daily driving and learning before the problems arise. On a positive note, the flare issue is completely gone in my 2011.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:21 PM
Beer Magazine

Funny how people don't understand an AT. It is designed to be economy and will cruise in the lowest gear possible, which is sad because it doesn't get that good of MPG either. If you want to drive "sporty" put the freaking thing in S, or drive with the paddle shifters. The lag is simply an auto cannot skip gears like MT or a auto clutch system. There is also that mythical "learning" of the car that adapts to driving style, which most people drive slow so if it really does learn it will make the car even more skewed toward economy.

If you really think you're an F1 racer...get, or learn to drive MT. You will never have to complain again about a lazy automatic being lazy. I switched back to a MT from my first Auto because of it.

MT is a drivers option and if you feel like your a "driver" go learn, or make sure your next car has 3 pedals.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:56 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Beer Magazine, You are missing the point of the frustration of these posts. I'll speak for myself: I had an 07 G35X, it had none of these lagging/hesitation problems. Some hard shifts Up and down (in fact my Dealer REPACED my TRANNY after they replaced the Valve Body and that didn't correct the hard shifts !!!), But definetely none of this Jerkiness.....Hesitation - especially in stopn and go traffic 40 to 20 MPH. You're right all ATs exhibit some lag {I've driven dozens of cars over my lifetime all with ATs}, but in my case, the 07 was non- hesitant either in D or DS mode {in fact, the 07's DS mode was much more aggressive and responsive}. If you're curios read the hundreds upon hundreds of posts on the Other Network: G37 Reprogramming Thread.....on this forum. This is not a isolated problem, but seems to be quite extensive from 2009, 2010, and 2011 models.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:55 PM
Razz

I have less then 2000 miles on my car...I love the tran..

2012 Ds mode works well...holds higher revs in a turn a tad long...

Paddle shifters are great...

Better then any trans I ever owned...

Quick Reply: Did Infiniti fix the transmission lag for 2012 model