Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Can I disable the clutch start button on my 2011 6MT

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 04:35 PM
pdxg37s

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can I disable the clutch start button on my 2011 6MT

Any issue with getting the pin that allows the car to start to stay in the depressed position. I am the only driver. i dislike having to get in the vehicle all of the time to start it or needing to really push deep to get it to depress.
Only issue i can see is turning just accesories on as it would go directly to start up..

Any ideas/thoughts.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:38 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
If you leave the car in gear and accidentally press the button without checking, your car is gone.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:39 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
If you start it while it's in gear, it will be propelled forward.

You might be able to adjust how much you need to depress the pedal, but either way, after driving the car for a few months, it should be second nature.

Everything is defeatable, but consider why it's there in the first place.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:54 PM
pdxg37s

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thanks guys. I have driven many manual vehicles over the years and I am comfortable with disabling it. Hell ,all cars used to come that way.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:01 PM
jjasonSU

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I know it can be disabled, not sure how in this car though. I assume it's more complicated that just a pin like my older cars.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:18 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
It's just one pin. Short the harness and youre good to go. Highly recommended against.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:05 PM
bocaytomas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you probably just have to ground the clutch sensor cable...
Old 12-07-2011, 10:50 PM
Bo2point0

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My old civic had remote start that would bypass the clutch.

I left it in 1st with the handbrake up one time and started the engine to warm it up... Lets just say it didn't roll into the side of the garage and stall after the accident.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:54 PM
Beer Magazine

Our dumb country is the only one that disabled the ability to start the car in gear. Technically it can move a car that can't start. I don't think it's really hard to push the clutch in though....the hassel of doing something that you have to do anyway?
Old 12-08-2011, 12:10 AM
Itchytoe

Just tape the button in, or tie the wires together. It's a simple switch.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:58 PM
davelim

Originally Posted by Beer Magazine
Our dumb country is the only one that disabled the ability to start the car in gear. Technically it can move a car that can't start. I don't think it's really hard to push the clutch in though....the hassel of doing something that you have to do anyway?
i'm not a die-hard patriot but 'dumb country' does not sit well with me
Old 12-09-2011, 12:01 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by davelim
i'm not a die-hard patriot but 'dumb country' does not sit well with me
Then don't read this:
The United States is currently 18th among the 36 industrialized nations.

<table class="answer_segment" width="100%" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td colspan="2"> The United States is no longer the world leader in secondary education, according to the rankings of an international organization.

The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development places the United States 18th among the 36 nations examined, USA Today reported Wednesday.

Headed to the top of the heap is South Korea where 93 percent of high school students graduate on time compared with the United States where 75 percent receive their diplomas.

The seemingly downward trend of U.S. education worries economists.

"The United States has rested on its laurels way too long," Jacob Funk Kirkegaard of the Peterson Institute for International Economics in Washington, told USA Today. "Other countries have increasingly caught up and surpassed the United States."

"We've been asleep for a good number of years as a country," says Richard Freeman, an economics professor at Harvard. "It's not that we're doing horrible. But the other guys are moving faster."
</td></tr><tr><td colspan="2" class="sources"> Sources: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2008/11/19/US_sli<wbr>pping_in_education_rankings/UPI-9022122710477<wbr>6/</td></tr></tbody></table>
Ouch.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:14 AM
Bo2point0

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^

It's a damn shame too, when all our kids are punk skateboarders that like smashing their nuts on rails instead of hitting the books.

I'm an engineer in the oil and gas industry and most of my coworkers are not even American citizens. It's sad when your country can't even find educated workers to fill positions and have to go to other countries to hire their people.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:17 AM
bleu ardoise
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Beer Magazine
Better tell Germany also, the Audi I rented in Stuttgart last September had the system. I think all manuals do everywhere.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:09 AM
Beer Magazine

Originally Posted by bleu ardoise
Better tell Germany also, the Audi I rented in Stuttgart last September had the system. I think all manuals do everywhere.

They must have changed the laws there too. It used to be so you could move a car with the starter, but honestly it's not a big deal to push the clutch in and then let it out.

Quick Reply: Can I disable the clutch start button on my 2011 6MT