Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Matte Black Stillen Gen3 Intakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 02:40 PM
Z gave way to G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a little surprised that they made that lip so that u couldn't access the bolts at the bottom.....
Old 11-18-2011, 02:40 PM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
A little off topic but I have the same lip and was planning on removing my front bumper for a mod.

What do you mean by having to drill through the lip to remove the bumper?
Old 11-18-2011, 03:41 PM
DRQKNHT
SoCal Driven

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Itchytoe
You only have to take off the front grill, not the whole bumper. I installed mine without taking off the bumper. Was kinda tedious getting the driver's side in without scratching it up, but get a razor blade and slowly cut away what you need to.
I used to try to install parts on my car when i had a Honda Civic, and i about wanted to lol. I am not good at making sure fitment is all perfect from my "handywork", because truth be told, i really dont know what im doing when it comes to installs.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:48 PM
DRQKNHT
SoCal Driven

Originally Posted by myk1013
A little off topic but I have the same lip and was planning on removing my front bumper for a mod.

What do you mean by having to drill through the lip to remove the bumper?
So when Raul and i looked underneath the car, he was showing me near the edge of the outermost part of the bumper where there are 2 screws that he did not have access to, as the lip was placed over them. We could barely feel them, but they were definitely covered up.

I myself have never taken off this front bumper, so i dont know what to look for, but he told me he couldnt take it off w/o possibly messing up the front fiberglass lip.

Does your AKX lip not cover up these screws at the ends of your bumper? They are the screws that are closest to the wheels, underneath the bumper.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:08 PM
DRQKNHT
SoCal Driven

BAM! Just sold them! I sweetened the deal by giving my old H&R Springs for free pretty much.

Thanks for the input guys! I was leaning towards selling them anyways, but all the feedback helped alot!
Old 11-18-2011, 04:13 PM
1cleanG
NextLevel Performance

Received 210 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Itchytoe
You only have to take off the front grill, not the whole bumper. I installed mine without taking off the bumper. Was kinda tedious getting the driver's side in without scratching it up, but get a razor blade and slowly cut away what you need to.
a RAZOR BLADE?? that's what you used to cut the bracket rather then a dremel? You're nuts! LOL

Originally Posted by RDDLINE
No splash shields included.

Does anyone actually put those on? I never see Gs with those on, because they kind of hide the filters no?
From what I know...I would say 90% of people put on the splash sheilds to avoid water and debre getting into the filter itself, especially for those who DD their car.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:54 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
So when Raul and i looked underneath the car, he was showing me near the edge of the outermost part of the bumper where there are 2 screws that he did not have access to, as the lip was placed over them. We could barely feel them, but they were definitely covered up.

I myself have never taken off this front bumper, so i dont know what to look for, but he told me he couldnt take it off w/o possibly messing up the front fiberglass lip.

Does your AKX lip not cover up these screws at the ends of your bumper? They are the screws that are closest to the wheels, underneath the bumper.
Raul is correct, even on my Stillen splitter it would have covered those screws.
The trick is to drill before mounting then use a longer screw/bolt.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:17 PM
DRQKNHT
SoCal Driven

Originally Posted by TVPostSound
Raul is correct, even on my Stillen splitter it would have covered those screws.
The trick is to drill before mounting then use a longer screw/bolt.
There it is! The answer to this problem. Now i know what to tell the body shop to look for, for next time. Thanks!

Originally Posted by 1cleanG
a RAZOR BLADE?? that's what you used to cut the bracket rather then a dremel? You're nuts! LOL

From what I know...I would say 90% of people put on the splash sheilds to avoid water and debre getting into the filter itself, especially for those who DD their car.
Thats what i figured, but with the Grille i have, i thought it would look sweet if they were sitting there all exposed. lol.

This is my DD too.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:55 AM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I have the carbon fiber lip... havent looked under there but it's probably the same case as you. I think you should just sell it... or just drill holes so you can get access to those bolts if you really want those intakes.

I would only try to remove the front lip if its really necessary.