Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!
View Poll Results: 7 speed automatic
No problem with the 7 speed automatic, I like it
63.44%
problems with normal city driving
29.03%
problems when taking off from a stop
13.98%
problems when passing another vehicle
11.83%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Am I the only automatic owner with no complaints?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 10:49 AM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile Am I the only automatic owner with no complaints?

The reason I'm posting this is because of the numerous complaints on this forum about the 7 speed automatic.

I've put 16,000 miles on my 2010 G37, sedan,rwd,7spd auto and have zero complaints about the 7 speed automatic.
Over the years I've owned a considerable number of vehicles, the majority being automatics.
I don't street race but I'm an aggressive fast driver on the highway, where I've put most of the mileage on this car. To date I've taken 2 approximately 5,000 mile trips and several 200 and 750 mile trips. Not once has the transmission bogged down when I do a high speed pass, on the 2 lane highways.
Am I one of the lucky few that has no problems with the auto or are there a lot of other owners without complaints.
It might be helpful if owner's that answer this post, include their build date.
My build date is 12/09 per the sticker at the bottom of the driver's door jamb.
Tom

Last edited by movinon; 11-15-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:58 AM
awais
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
The only complaint I have is when there is a Gas, Brake, Gas situation in city driving. For example, you're behind a car, it brakes to turn, you brake, then give some gas to speed up, there's a 1-2 second hesitation before the power makes it to the wheels.

This doesn't happen on highway, the rpms are pretty high at highway speeds. And if you brake hard on highways it will downshift and put it in the right gear.

Other problems have been resolved. There's no rpm flare after a warm start, the rough/abrupt downshifting when braking is much improved with the latest update.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:21 AM
movinon

Originally Posted by awais
The only complaint I have is when there is a Gas, Brake, Gas situation in city driving. For example, you're behind a car, it brakes to turn, you brake, then give some gas to speed up, there's a 1-2 second hesitation before the power makes it to the wheels.

This doesn't happen on highway, the rpms are pretty high at highway speeds. And if you brake hard on highways it will downshift and put it in the right gear.

Other problems have been resolved. There's no rpm flare after a warm start, the rough/abrupt downshifting when braking is much improved with the latest update.
Next time I'm driving on a deserted city road I,ll do some quick stops and see if it bogs when I gas it.
Tom
Old 11-15-2011, 11:59 AM
bkbigf0ot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

same thing here, no complains on the highway at all. its the city driving that's not too much fun. this is a fantastic highway car.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:17 PM
movinon

Originally Posted by bkbigf0ot
same thing here, no complains on the highway at all. its the city driving that's not too much fun. this is a fantastic highway car.
Fortunately the main reason I went with the G was highway trips.
Tom
Old 11-15-2011, 12:39 PM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OP, come drive in NYC for a week, then update us how you like the 7AT.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:05 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by HappyG
Why would ANYONE want to drive in NY?

Old 11-15-2011, 02:41 PM
MaluG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You might not replicate the problem with aggressive stop and go techniques. The best is to drive in a NYC like environment and you'll get the idea quick. I haven't had any problems with highway driving accept when passing cars (starting from a rolling start ~25mph and aggresively accelerating to 60+mph). It's scary when you press the pedal (expecting power), change lanes (before hitting the car infront) and then there is a 1-2 sec delay before the car reacts while a car is about the hit you from behind. With plenty of space between you and the car infront, you can hit the gas early, experience the delay, speed up and then change lanes (hoping that the car in front doesn't slow down), but that's not that easy in a high traffic area like the Northeast.

But I must say the transmission does react better when driven aggressive.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:22 PM
2011G37JOHNBEST

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
only complaint would be the gas mileage. haha
Old 11-15-2011, 03:23 PM
2011G37JOHNBEST

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MACS
Why would ANYONE want to drive in NY?

then come to California!
Old 11-15-2011, 03:38 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011G37JOHNBEST
then come to California!
Uh... John? I'm originally from the Northeast (RI), and I LIVE in CA. I know what it's like in both locations.

Expensive, congested, and jam-packed with liberals. At least in CA the weather is nice.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:02 PM
zoner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HappyG
In NYC you should be driving a different vehicle. Or even better taking the subway. I have no problem with the 7AT in my car.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:16 PM
Mike S.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I could live with the 1-2 second hesitation as its a lot to ask of the car to be responsive in this situation.

What bugs me is that I've had both flashes (first one to ease the agrreesive downshifting and the 2nd that was supposed to fix bunch of drivablility issues). I STILL get the flare. Maybe my dealer didn't flash it right? I belive it was a TCU and ECU reflash.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:17 PM
mikeb2004

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have owned (and still do) many cars with automatics, including a G35. Also Audi, Jaguar, Ford, Chrysler, Mazda, Hyundai, Volvo, BMW - all automatics.

This is the worst automatic transmission of any vehicle I have ever driven (list above). I am not kidding.

The 7AT is almost always in the wrong gear.

Sure, you can say "drive a manual" or "use the paddles". No, that is not necessary with ANY other car I own.

ALL of the other vehicles are able to "read my mind" just fine, through my right foot.

This 7AT transmission is dim-witted, and a constant source of irritation. It is not smooth when I am driving smoothly, and it doesn't respond intelligently when I drive aggressively. Never had this problem of annoyance before with any other automatic. As if its stupidity isn't enough, sometimes it 'slips' into 4th gear, sometimes it clunks into 1st gear when coming to a stop (both in D), dealer says this is normal and that many people complain about it.

-----------------------
2011 g37 coupe auto

Last edited by mikeb2004; 11-15-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:20 PM
trcb777

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I just wish that if in ds mode, the 7at would not go into 7th gear at like 40 mph. Maybe wait until 60+mph to go into 7th gear but keep it aggressive in ds mode.

Quick Reply: Am I the only automatic owner with no complaints?