Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Gear and Rpm Problem!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 05:59 AM
samg37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gear and Rpm Problem!

this morning i start the car up and after 3 minutes i took off the car was still cold but then i went on 10 mile drive to drop some one off but i was feeling the rpm being higher and the speed low so heading back on the freeway i accelerated the car from the second gear and the rpm jump to 7000 rpm and switch the gear to 3rd and the rpm went back to 7000rmp like i never shifted the gear but the car was at 50 mph basically what im feeling is that the rpm is almost at the red line asking me to switch the gear but the car is not going fast at all like and when i parked the car i smell something burning i dont know if its the oil or the clutch!! now my car is at 43000 but i was suppose to change the oil at 42500 i mean could it be the oil??? i bought the car when it was at 28000 miles for 1 year i havent done any tune up beside oil change.. dont know if thats the case it still dark so in the morning ill check the oil level and transmission oil.. so can anyone tel me if they had that issue?
Old 11-05-2011, 06:43 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
Please post in the appropriate subforum in the future
Old 11-05-2011, 09:15 AM
Neal376

Originally Posted by samg37
this morning i start the car up and after 3 minutes i took off the car was still cold but then i went on 10 mile drive to drop some one off but i was feeling the rpm being higher and the speed low so heading back on the freeway i accelerated the car from the second gear and the rpm jump to 7000 rpm and switch the gear to 3rd and the rpm went back to 7000rmp like i never shifted the gear but the car was at 50 mph basically what im feeling is that the rpm is almost at the red line asking me to switch the gear but the car is not going fast at all like and when i parked the car i smell something burning i dont know if its the oil or the clutch!! now my car is at 43000 but i was suppose to change the oil at 42500 i mean could it be the oil??? i bought the car when it was at 28000 miles for 1 year i havent done any tune up beside oil change.. dont know if thats the case it still dark so in the morning ill check the oil level and transmission oil.. so can anyone tel me if they had that issue?
you need a new clutch

/thread
Old 11-05-2011, 02:04 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Burnt clutches are relatively simple to identify.

* If engine rpm goes up, but vehicle speed doesn't, this indicates the clutch is slipping and not coupling the engine to the trans. When this is first beginning, it's most noticeable in the lower gears - 1st especially because the greatest torque multiplication occurs there.

* Burning smell

If the car was driven responsibly, 28K is nothing for a clutch, neither is 43K. I had over 80K on my camaro with still the original clutch and no slippage in any gear. This is one of the drawbacks of buying a used manual car.

IIRC, a new clutch installed will run you somewhere in the $2K range.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:15 PM
samg37

i also hear some noise but when i press the clutch the noise goes away whats that?
Old 11-05-2011, 04:42 PM
Itchytoe

Originally Posted by samg37
Please use some punctuation. That's painfully difficult to read. I barely made it through what I think is the first sentence. You don't have to be an English professor, but since I can't even read the post, I can't help you beyond saying that I don't have a gear and rpm problem. Take it to your dealer to get new gears and rpms.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:12 PM
cy7878

The noise you hear that disappears when clutch is depressed sounds like the throw out bearing. The noise can be normal depending on the car. However, if in the past 12 months you have never heard the noise and now it's there, you may have a problem.

The high RPM and lack of forward motion most likely is a worn clutch. The good news is that if you do get a new clutch, replacing the throw out bearing doesn't add any extra labor. The bad news is replacing the clutch is gonna cost you.....
Old 11-06-2011, 04:27 AM
samg37

where can i find a cheap stock clutch kit?