Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

6mt low end torque

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 06:23 PM
darkmatter7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6mt low end torque

I've been driving my 2008 6mt coupe for 2 weeks now and I can't help but feel like the low rpm torque is lacking. Under 3k in 1st and 2nd the car feels like an economy car given the weight. When I had my AT sedan I did a throttle response / ecu reset. Is there such a thing for the mt and would this help? Would anything else short of mods help? Is it possible that there's something wrong with my car?
Old 10-30-2011, 06:57 PM
Itchytoe

1) You can reset the ecu in your car pretty easily. I don't think it will do anything for you though.

2) Help what? You've got the same engine that the automatics have. You can't change the engine unless you change the engine...

3) Oh yea, it's entirely possible that there's something wrong with your car. What you're describing here isn't a problem though.

What you're describing here is just one of the many differences between how an automatic and a manual transmission work. Torque converters do have benefits, even though I will never own a slushbox again. An automatic transmission will allow the engine to run at a higher RPM than it would if it were mechanically linked to your wheels (as is the case in a manual transmission). That higher RPM comes with the benefit of more power output. It makes the car feel more powerful at low RPMs.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:08 PM
davv1215

Coming from an auto to a manual, I get what he's saying. But I'm glad that I have a manual. You can access the torque easier with an auto (if feel, unless you know how to shift/downshift well during acceleration/deceleration. If you wanted low end torque, this is not the car for it.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:23 PM
G37SBS
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
i know what you are saying.. i feel the same OP but you gotta live with it... what you can do is hold the RPM until 4k-5k for 1st and 2nd. it might help a little but it will kill your gas mileage in a long run.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:57 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Itchytoe is correct, the stator in a torque converter causes torque multiplication.
A crash box needs to stay at high RPMs, so when up shifting your RPMs dont drop too low.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:21 PM
darkmatter7

Thanks. I figured as much.

I'm very happy with the mt overall though. So much more fun.

What I meant by "help" was, do any simple mods help low end torque (Intake, exhaust parts, UpRev)? I don't know too much about them but I recall from looking at graphs that most of the power gains on these are 4k+. Does anything (aside from lowering weight) help the low end?

Also, for when I do want to start fast... does anyone know what a safe launch rpm is, as well as some good launch technique?
Old 10-30-2011, 09:30 PM
Itchytoe

Nothing short of FI will give you significant low end gains. A tune may help, but I don't think you'll a major difference.

My fastest starts happen at about 3,000 RPM or a little higher. I don't have stock tires though so your results may vary. Launch technique? Hmm, I just let off the clutch a little more aggressively than usual and it does fine. I get a little wheel spin sometimes, but not every time and it's easily managed.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:51 PM
WARAT
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
You can get a plenum spacer for it.. check out the motordyne intake manifold for the 3.7 motor

http://www.motordyneengineering.com/...eda8805a88b865
Old 10-30-2011, 10:00 PM
darkmatter7

Originally Posted by Itchytoe
Nothing short of FI will give you significant low end gains. A tune may help, but I don't think you'll a major difference.

My fastest starts happen at about 3,000 RPM or a little higher. I don't have stock tires though so your results may vary. Launch technique? Hmm, I just let off the clutch a little more aggressively than usual and it does fine. I get a little wheel spin sometimes, but not every time and it's easily managed.
How quickly will 3k launches kill my clutch? Do I absolutely have to turn off vdc?
Old 10-30-2011, 10:40 PM
Itchytoe

VDC will definitely kick in on a launch like that so turning it off is a must.

How fast your clutch wears depends on how long you let it slip. Longer slip means more wear, dumping it nearly instantly means some serious wheel spin, but less clutch wear.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:45 PM
ricbel
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My MT feels fine for regular driving power down low, and I usually shift at 3k rpm. Our engines rev to 7.5K RPM, it makes its power in the high range.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:03 PM
darkmatter7

Problem solved.

I just tried launching at 2k, flooring it, and focusing on shifting quickly. The car was a completely different animal. I just needed to stop driving like a *****.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:34 PM
WARAT
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Let us know how you like your mpg
Old 10-30-2011, 11:37 PM
darkmatter7

Originally Posted by WARAT
Let us know how you like your mpg
LOL. Thanks for ruining my fun. I'm learning mt... so I don't think that's helping but it's been 17 the last two tanks, probably more like 18.5 on this one.

For a comparison, my 2010 7at sedan was giving me 20.5 on each tank, and I drove it a lot more calmly.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:38 PM
Itchytoe

lol, glad you found a solution. Don't be scared to give it a little fuel. I typically don't shift until 3,000 RPM when normally driving. FSM says I should shift at like 1500 or something stupid like that, but I can't do it. It's just not right for the engine.

As far as MPG goes, I typically get 19 mostly in the city (85% or more) and I drive it pretty hard.

Quick Reply: 6mt low end torque