Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

my car drives like crap in cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 01:25 PM
trulegend
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation my car drives like crap in cold weather

normally i would not even post this, but it has been bothering me since last week so i figure i get some input...

this is the first winter with my g, i notice in very cold weather like 43-55 degrees in northern California my car does not pull as hard as normal weather condition.

There is no rain or snow, anything i can do for colder weather driving conditions? basically i am not getting same performance as say 80+ degree weather...

thx
Old 10-27-2011, 02:37 PM
Dimitry6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well usually the car drives better in cold conditions then hot weather because of the cold air, so thats kinda weird that you say that but i had to comment what MADE me laugh is that you say very cold conditions 43-55 we dream for that weather in new york we have more like 13-22
Old 10-27-2011, 02:38 PM
Swacer

Is it signficant?

if its minor, every car starts becoming sluggish as the temperature goes down. (40 is warm, talk to someone from PA when its -25F windchill lol) The ideal temperature is never achived, the density of the air increases, gas mileage goes down, and around zero, your car moves like a pig. I dont' see this being your case, but its possible.

If its significantly different, I'd have your MAF sensor checked.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:48 PM
trulegend
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Swacer
Is it signficant?

if its minor, every car starts becoming sluggish as the temperature goes down. (40 is warm, talk to someone from PA when its -25F windchill lol) The ideal temperature is never achived, the density of the air increases, gas mileage goes down, and around zero, your car moves like a pig. I dont' see this being your case, but its possible.

If its significantly different, I'd have your MAF sensor checked.
yeh its significantly different feeling, it feels like a pig. the twitchy thorttle response i use to get is gone...

could it be Bad Gas? i use Costco 91
Old 10-27-2011, 03:12 PM
Swacer

Could be bad gas. Go get an octane booster or something to try to clean up the gas. When was the last time you replaced your air filter? Could also be your fuel filter (I don't know your mileage).

If you expire those ideas, and it continues, you have a warranty, might need to take a trip into the dealership and present the issue before it gets worse.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:28 PM
trulegend
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Swacer
Could be bad gas. Go get an octane booster or something to try to clean up the gas. When was the last time you replaced your air filter? Could also be your fuel filter (I don't know your mileage).

If you expire those ideas, and it continues, you have a warranty, might need to take a trip into the dealership and present the issue before it gets worse.
new oil filter and air filter less then 1k miles... currently at 60k miles

i have a full tank of gas, car was sitting for about a week because i have been riding my new bike..

octane booster is ok on a full tank of gas?
Old 10-27-2011, 03:33 PM
2008G37s

Every year around Oct 1st California refineries screw with their blend for metropolitan areas and call it winter blend and in cold weather you will notice it. Pretty much everyone's mileage and performance drops because of it.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:40 PM
trulegend
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 2008G37s
Every year around Oct 1st California refineries screw with their blend for metropolitan areas and call it winter blend and in cold weather you will notice it. Pretty much everyone's mileage and performance drops because of it.
r u serious????

i goggled this and did not find anything
Old 10-27-2011, 04:29 PM
Abdiel

Winter Oxygenated Programs | Fuels & Fuel Additives | Transportation & Air Quality | US EPA

http://www.arb.ca.gov/fuels/gasoline...CaRFG_regs.pdf
Old 10-27-2011, 06:17 PM
G37xNYC

You got it lucky in Cali... I can't wait to see how bad my gas mileage is once the winter blend comes here to NY, and they'll charge $4.25 for 93 octane here... This is my first winter with mine, but I imagine it'll be fine... Like Dimitry said, I would think the car drives better in the cold... It also sounds beastier lol... And I also agree with MAF sensor
Old 10-27-2011, 07:13 PM
trcb777

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
All things being equal, an internal combustion engine or jet engine will perform better with colder temps.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:19 PM
DaCePtak0n

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My car was an effin dream no lie. 42 degrees out and it was gliding...
Old 10-28-2011, 11:46 AM
G37CPA

Originally Posted by trulegend
normally i would not even post this, but it has been bothering me since last week so i figure i get some input...

this is the first winter with my g, i notice in very cold weather like 43-55 degrees in northern California my car does not pull as hard as normal weather condition.

There is no rain or snow, anything i can do for colder weather driving conditions? basically i am not getting same performance as say 80+ degree weather...

thx
By yourself a ZR-1, and when you drive it on a cold day, it will be screaming fast compared to your G37 on its best day.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:28 PM
Coprolite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My summer tires feel like bricks in "cold" weather, also. Stiff tires may be the source of the symptoms?
Old 10-28-2011, 06:44 PM
trulegend
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Coprolite
My summer tires feel like bricks in "cold" weather, also. Stiff tires may be the source of the symptoms?
thats a very good point.. i have potenza and they are already really loud in the summer and maybe the culprit..

Quick Reply: my car drives like crap in cold weather