Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

my car drives like crap in cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 06:47 PM
trulegend
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by G37CPA
By yourself a ZR-1, and when you drive it on a cold day, it will be screaming fast compared to your G37 on its best day.
why stop at zr-1 why not bump up to a awd lambo
Old 10-29-2011, 01:27 AM
Mt.Fugi

Originally Posted by trulegend

and y would you wanna stop there? Get the Bugatti Veyron 16.4 if you haz the $$ that is!

back on topic, my G37 does sometimes feels "sluggish" at times at cooler weather guess my uprev done during tripple digits weather haz some role in that?
Old 10-29-2011, 10:17 AM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Thats weird. Generally the colder it gets the harder my car pulls. That's normally the way it works in most cars because of the more dense air unless it gets down to extremely cold conditions and the oil is cold. But 43 to 55 degrees should be about perfect (save anything below 45 degrees). As it is warm enough for your summer tires to still keep good grip and your engine should be running better.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:33 PM
Itchytoe

normally i would not even post this, but it has been bothering me since last week so i figure i get some input...

this is the first winter with my g, i notice in very cold weather like 43-55 degrees in northern California my car does not pull as hard as normal weather condition.

There is no rain or snow, anything i can do for colder weather driving conditions? basically i am not getting same performance as say 80+ degree weather...

thx
I live on the gulf coast and completely understand what you mean by 40 degrees being very cold. Right now I'm putting off washing my car till it warms up after lunch and it's only 60 right now.

I haven't noticed any adverse effects on the car in this cold weather. We still seem to have summer fuel here so I have lots of fun in the car and it seems to be a bit more powerful. I have noticed that my car doesn't pull as hard as it did when I test drove it, but I attribute that to the placebo effect. Maybe you're just getting used to the car like me. 45-55 should be perfect for some fun driving. Still warm enough for summer tires and fuel, but cold enough to have a nice dense air charge.

Have you switched to a different fuel, or oil, or something like that?
Old 10-29-2011, 01:47 PM
trulegend
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Itchytoe
I live on the gulf coast and completely understand what you mean by 40 degrees being very cold. Right now I'm putting off washing my car till it warms up after lunch and it's only 60 right now.

I haven't noticed any adverse effects on the car in this cold weather. We still seem to have summer fuel here so I have lots of fun in the car and it seems to be a bit more powerful. I have noticed that my car doesn't pull as hard as it did when I test drove it, but I attribute that to the placebo effect. Maybe you're just getting used to the car like me. 45-55 should be perfect for some fun driving. Still warm enough for summer tires and fuel, but cold enough to have a nice dense air charge.

Have you switched to a different fuel, or oil, or something like that?
good pointon the placebo...
Old 11-01-2011, 12:00 PM
G37CPA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ZR-1 at least costs an amount which we can relate to. The lambo does not. Dollor for dollar, the ZR-1 is a better value as well.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:52 PM
2008G37s

Originally Posted by G37CPA
ZR-1 at least costs an amount which we can relate to. The lambo does not. Dollor for dollar, the ZR-1 is a better value as well.
We all drive what we drive and no matter what you have or want there is always something better out there. I finally came to the point after owning over 40 vehicles over last 35 years I really dont care what I drive now. Id actually prefer to drive our 4X4 Expedition or truck everywhere as no one messes with them things. ZR-1's are cool but they aint that fast enough for me stock anyway and they get bad heatsoak the more you run em back to back runs and hp drops drastically but its a helluva street/track car from the get go.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:29 AM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by 2008G37s
We all drive what we drive and no matter what you have or want there is always something better out there. I finally came to the point after owning over 40 vehicles over last 35 years I really dont care what I drive now. Id actually prefer to drive our 4X4 Expedition or truck everywhere as no one messes with them things. ZR-1's are cool but they aint that fast enough for me stock anyway and they get bad heatsoak the more you run em back to back runs and hp drops drastically but its a helluva street/track car from the get go.
I just bought my G37S (from a Mitsu Lancer) and I love the thing! Not used to the lower gas mileage though. Going from 28 mpg combined to 17 combined is well....sad. I can see the needle drop every time I start up the car lol. You'de never find me in a Corvette
Old 11-11-2011, 12:00 PM
JackM829

Originally Posted by Gon37
I can see the needle drop every time I start up the car lol. You'de never find me in a Corvette
haha, i feel the same way. I knew it would be bad on gas, I didn't think it would be this bad. Hope it gets better as I learn to drive it better - only at about 800 miles so far.

But I went from filling up about once every 5 weeks, to filling up every 2 weeks.

Same amount of driving. In my G I get about 210 miles on a full tank.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:11 PM
2008G37s

Originally Posted by Gon37
I just bought my G37S (from a Mitsu Lancer) and I love the thing! Not used to the lower gas mileage though. Going from 28 mpg combined to 17 combined is well....sad. I can see the needle drop every time I start up the car lol. You'de never find me in a Corvette
Why the no Vette comment?

Last edited by 2008G37s; 11-11-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:47 PM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by 2008G37s
Why the no Vette comment?
The only people you see driving Corvettes are guys that are in their mid-50s, white hair, kinda fat, sometimes balding (no offense to anyone here)...you know the type. They're fast, but they're a dime a dozen. Plus, it's a Chevy...I won't say more

The old Stingrays are nice though