Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Different gas stations vs miles per gallon

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 09:24 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
I do that now, Twice a month I use a bottle of Turbo 108 . Been using this for like 10 years..
Blue Magic North American Na31 Turbo 108 Octane Boost - 32 fl. oz.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:56 AM
adroitcaptor
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a lot of wrong, unsupported, and plain fabricated information in this thread. (There is also some accurate information…) Please do not rage on me until you try and understand what I am saying in this post from an objective standpoint. I am NOT flaming anyone NOR is any part of this post aimed at anyone specific!

Because different stations use different services with different additives at different times, it is near impossible to delineate REAL differences of brand gasoline(s). That said there are some stations that are much more consistent than others.

Before you go buying additives look at the cost of racing fuel/aero grade fuel and do some math. If you need help or further explanation I would be happy to give it. Suffice it to say, MOST additives, unless used solely as a detergent, are a rip off.

There is no more "power" in one fuel from another, so to say. I will steer clear from giving a lecture on iso-octane and the comparative RON (rating system). HOWEVER the caveat is in the semantics. The ‘raw’ fuel itself has no more ‘power’. In fact, this myth of one fuel burning ‘faster’ or more ‘powerful’ is an absurdity. The difference that you are seeing is the fuel’s resistance to engine-knock (pre/self-ignition). In a very basic explanation, the higher the octane the higher pressure the fuel can be compressed to before it ‘self-ignites’. Anyone who understands turbo systems must have a strong grasp on this concept (or follow it unknowingly). There is one major deviation from this “fuel is fuel” explanation. That is the additives a company/refinery will/might put in the fuel. THIS INCLUDES, but is obviously not limited to, ethanol. When we consider these bastard excuses for profit and EPA mindless communism, we start seeing a difference in ‘energy’ output / (specified) volume of fuel. Methanol has less than half of gasoline’s specific energy / energy by raw volume; ethanol is generally about one third. SO the 91octane of America (with 10% ethanol) has less energy by volume then Europe’s 91octane (with 3%). Where these numbers are not PftA , they are not exact, that would require a lecture style post... lol

I would argue, and could support, that additives DO matter. (To what degree is quite another issue.) What is more concerning to me is how the gas is kept, transported, and refined. If you want to argue that a person can go to 5 different stations and all the 5 petrol samples will be the same, I will point out you do not have a grasp on the reality of this subject.

Many made the point that the same truck will go to the two different places. Where they might receive the same gasoline this assumption cannot always be concluded. The obvious point being - a single truck can provide more than 1 RON type of fuel.

Subjective evidence is just that. People, let us not go around making rash judgments, statements, or even postulations based on a one time, uncontrolled experience. Right as we may be, it is absurd to pose knowledge based on this type of lazy behavior. I always maintained [on other car forums] that if you do not KNOW give an opinion stated as an opinion; if you KNOW help others to understand from fact.

Bottom line, there are many factors that contribute to knock. Do not think that running a higher octane will get you ‘more power’. Once the limitations of timing (not considering mods or dyno tuning) have been reached, there is ‘nothing’ more to gain by higher grade fuel. The antithesis of this is also true – once your vehicle’s timing has compensated to its limit, a lower grade fuel will reduce performance.

I hope this helps people to understand some of the ‘science’ of this issue. If you would like clarification, think I am full of it, or simply want more information, let me know; I would be happy to help/respond.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:01 AM
Tek-C
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ANMVQ
I do that now, Twice a month I use a bottle of Turbo 108 . Been using this for like 10 years..
Blue Magic North American Na31 Turbo 108 Octane Boost - 32 fl. oz.
Interesting, is it worth it?
Old 09-22-2011, 11:20 AM
GotAir523

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
kinda surprised no one has said anything about going to racetrac....makes me a little nervous about going there but they have 93 octane...
Old 09-22-2011, 11:39 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by Tek-C
Interesting, is it worth it?
Is to me, I dont think I get anymore WHP or at least anything I notice, But just use it to keep everything clean. I ran a test a few years ago with this stuff(15 years ago) Where a ran 93 oct same station for 8 week. Took the carb and intake off and looked at the ports. They where a little and had some build up on them. Cleaned them off put it back on and ran 8 more weeks and used this stuff 4 times( Twice a month).. Took the intake off again I could have eating of it. Since then still using it. Only thing is only two places sell it near me. So I always get 5 bottles 2 for myself,2 for the wifes G and one for her bike( Smaller bottle 16 ounces).
Old 09-24-2011, 06:19 PM
Skates
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've worked in a previous life at a major oil company's (**) testing facility where they used wind tunnels on various cars to determine the optimal additives, etc. All the scientists that worked there always told me that Shell (a competitor) has the best gas...
Old 09-24-2011, 10:00 PM
Itchytoe

A wind tunnel would do absolutely no good in determining optimal fuel additives. The two are completely unrelated. Besides, oil refineries don't have such testing facilities. Scientists don't work in oil refineries or for oil companies. There are plenty of engineers, but no scientists.

If you'd like someone who actually does work at oil refineries and has a good idea of what the refineries actually look like, on the inside where the fuels and other "chemicals" are stored and produced, feel free to ask. I'm an API certified pressure vessel inspector. I've been inside a lot of these places that make fuels that you use. Citgo, Conoco, Shell, Chevron (briefly). Every cat cracker is the same, every alkylation unit is the same, every hydrotreater is the same... Really, there's no difference in the base fuel between refineries. It's all in the additives, who's sole purpose is to keep the really nasty stuff in the fuel from staying in the car.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:23 PM
Skates
Registered Member

First of all my friend, I never stated that I worked in a refinery and second believe what you want but the specific place I worked at did such testing. Chemists (scientists) and engineers tested the latest and greatest in wind tunnels to analyze fuel and oil in various conditions, in various types of applications (vehicles)....

This testing facility was housed at a corporate research facility and was recently decommissioned. The facility still exists and it's currently being preserved just in case the said company decides to resurrect it...
Old 09-25-2011, 12:10 AM
Soliditude

You need to use premium, man. You'll screw up your catalytic converters if you don't, and you'll just hurt your car overall. You'll also get more MPG with premium--I always get more than 20 MPG, and I switch between Chevron and Shell every other fill-up. No difference.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:06 AM
1NEETO

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^ Low octane fuel will not harm catalytic converters. Where did you get that from?
Old 09-25-2011, 02:16 AM
LarryG

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Did you know every time you open the gas cover... there is a little sticker on it... it says 'premium only' ... why would you put 89?!??!
Old 09-25-2011, 02:40 AM
SgtGoldy

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
LOL this thread has gotten out of control

Please continue
Old 09-25-2011, 11:34 AM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I take long summer trips averaging approximately 5,000 miles each. Been doing it for years with a lot of different vehicles. I keep tabs on my mileage, mostly out of boredom, while on these long trips.
Whenever I fill up, I use any name brand station that is conveniently close to the exit. I have not noticed any measurable difference in fuel mileage or performance between the different gas stations.
The 2 long trips that I've taken with the G has produced right at 28 mpg each time. That's running approximately 8 miles an hour over the posted speed limit, with the car fully loaded down, for the trip and the air always on.
I never check gas mileage in city driving, since there are too many variables.
Tom
Old 09-25-2011, 12:16 PM
cvipgo
Banned

Originally Posted by Scarz
Hi there I have been checking on my G37s mpg
mostly people are getting 18-20 mpg traveling in 50/50 freeway and city

I live in L.A and usually refuel with chevron and shell,
I always refuel in the middle quality gas, its 89 i believe?

I did some calculations and find out that my car tend to get 1-2 mpg more when I use chevron, around 18 mpg, however when i use shell, i usually get 16-17 mpg. (I drive in the same attitude, sometimes i accelerate pretty hard on freeways)

My question is, does anyone here overcame a situation like this? I am not trying to dig at shell but I really did calculate it and the result is pretty obvious (being known that my daily routes are home->school->home->dinner. I always fill the tank full when it is around 80% empty)

I have also used 76 and arco and will try to compare them later.

Tell me what you guys think? do you think it is a coincidence?

ps. I do love Shell! and sorry for my bad english!
Most gas sold across US is same except each name brand adds cleansing additives under their trade names- mileage should not be too much different. Chevron, Shell, Arco, Costco or Sams, etc. There are many factors and the best way to compare your mileage is to check out the website below and then compare if you fall in the ranges shown for Year, Make, Model :

Lot of good info at Side-by-Side Comparison
Old 09-25-2011, 05:32 PM
Soliditude

Originally Posted by 1NEETO
^^ Low octane fuel will not harm catalytic converters. Where did you get that from?

From multiple BMW drivers who used less-than-premium fuel for a while. Messes something up, gives sensors the wrong reading, and overtime, your cats go. I'm not a mechanic, so I don't know how it works, but I personally know people who did that and then said, "damn, I wish I stuck to premium." It might not be the same with our G's, but still. Factually, using less-than-premium in a car that requires premium does no good.

Quick Reply: Different gas stations vs miles per gallon