Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Need help with boost gauge install

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 08:37 PM
mikelr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mkai0
Its running normal with a lot more torque, 321 lbs to be exact. My boost is tapering off in the upper RPMS which is evident by my power curve dropping. This leads me to believe there may be a boost leak. I'll try reaching the bypass from the bottom tomorrow.
Mark my words, you do not have a boost leak....
You would not be able to make boost and such a good torque number in the mid range if you had a leak. Let me guess... your boost is tapering off after 5600-5700rpms?? You have a restriction of some type on your intake. My car made EXACTLY the same numbers with the old intake.
Your tuner may have not been able to recognize this since it is not your a-typical issue with a FI application. Lets us know how you make out.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:31 AM
Mkai0

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You're right mikelr, my boost is tapering off in 5k range. I thought it was weird that I was making good torque, but losing boost up top. My thinking was the torque curve came in early and stayed flat, while the boost would climb until a loose coupler or something made the boost taper off when the psi would get high enough. I tightened the Turbosmart bypass valve today, and it was already real tight. I also hooked up my boost gauge and fixed some things that were not to my liking because I paid a shop for the install. It was hard to see if I was hitting the correct boost after tightening some things down because my boost gauge isn't actually mounted yet. One hand on steering wheel the other holding boost gauge, kinda dangerous looking down and trying to hit full boost. The highest I was able to get on the gauge was 7 psi. I'm getting a leak test and getting on the Dynojet tomorrow to help narrow some things down. Oh yeah, I'm throwing that damn P0300 code too, That's another story!. I'm confident that I'll find out what's going on, and I'll take into consideration what you are saying.

Last edited by Mkai0; 09-14-2011 at 03:34 AM. Reason: Add something
Old 09-15-2011, 11:28 AM
Mkai0

So, I finally went to get a leak test done, and man I had multiple leaks! There was so much S**t the installer didn't tighten down. Im hitting 9-10 lbs now at 7000 rpms and the car pulls much harder and smoother. There are still some tuning issues to work out, but I'm still running safe at a 11.0-11.2 AFR at WOT. I'll be adding some youtube videos of my dyno session soon.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:00 AM
Mkai0

Here is a quick video of my car on the Dynojet after the boost leaks were fixed. Excuse the poor video quality of my phone. Final numbers were 353 whp and 308 lbs in my 5AT. 9-10 lbs was achieved when going to 7K. Car drives and feels 5x better without those leaks, However, I'm still not at the numbers I was hoping for (400 whp), but I confident I can get there with a better tune from a better tuner. Mikelr, did you hone and polish your intakes out yourself?
Old 09-16-2011, 12:00 AM
Mkai0

Here it is,
Supercharged HR G35 - YouTube
Old 09-16-2011, 12:08 AM
Weiboy718

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Here is a quick video of my car on the Dynojet after the boost leaks were fixed. Excuse the poor video quality of my phone. Final numbers were 353 whp and 308 lbs in my 5AT. 9-10 lbs was achieved when going to 7K. Car drives and feels 5x better without those leaks, However, I'm still not at the numbers I was hoping for (400 whp), but I confident I can get there with a better tune from a better tuner. Mikelr, did you hone and polish your intakes out yourself?
that's a lot of boost. i'm glad you found the source of the problem and hopefully whoever tunes your car next get it right.

good luck and keep updating.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:15 AM
Mkai0

Yeah, my car runs a lot better than before. I'm waiting on tuner a from AMS to fly out here to Oahu in November to retune my car. If I still lived out in Cali, Vallejo to be exact, I would take the time to go visit GTM and have them work out my tuning issues. For now I'll just take it easy and be patient. I'll keep you posted.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:25 AM
Weiboy718

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah, my car runs a lot better than before. I'm waiting on tuner a from AMS to fly out here to Oahu in November to retune my car. If I still lived out in Cali, Vallejo to be exact, I would take the time to go visit GTM and have them work out my tuning issues. For now I'll just take it easy and be patient. I'll keep you posted.
At The mean time can't you work out something with Sam@GTM? Like, do some dataloggings and send him the files so he can adjust a tune for you? I remember that's how the guys were getting their tunes adjusted for The early stage 1 adopters.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:17 PM
Mkai0

I'll ask him about it, and see if there is something he can do. I can also just wait for the AMS tuner to get here in two months and retune my car. AMS tunes a lot of EVO's, GTR's, Porsches, some Nissan/Infinitis, but they are an Uprev Protuner with some solid experience behind them. Thanks for your help, and I'll let you know how it goes.