Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

The first GTM stage 2 supercharged sedan

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 08:40 PM
theaudir8fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by soolman32
I need to read through this thread thoroughly but first impression is thing have not been going that well. Hope you get it sorted out soon.
Well it hasn't been worry free like i had hoped, but i guess with this kind of power build, it is kind of expected that problems will arise.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:54 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
this spring you'll have to come back up to Edmonton i'd like to see your sedan in person with the SC on. Sorry uyou had some issues with it but mine is still running strong. Worrd of warning if you drive it in the winter. never just drive it from the driveway and into the garage after a cold start and then turn it off. It will flood. Took me 3 times to learn this one.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:11 PM
theaudir8fan

Originally Posted by shumby
this spring you'll have to come back up to Edmonton i'd like to see your sedan in person with the SC on. Sorry uyou had some issues with it but mine is still running strong. Worrd of warning if you drive it in the winter. never just drive it from the driveway and into the garage after a cold start and then turn it off. It will flood. Took me 3 times to learn this one.
Hey, yea we need to meet up again soon, hopefully by spring i will have all the issues addressed and put on new rims and tires. Also thanks for the notice, but mostly i have been parking the G and driving a toyota as DD (got 3 of them in my family now, being typical asians ) And happy new years to you and your wife, wish the best for both of you
Old 02-12-2012, 03:29 PM
theaudir8fan

It's been another 2 month, and the end is insight, at least i hope no other issues will arise.

After the alternator swap, the voltage has been consistent and no more flashing batt and ebrake light.

Also i would just like to say getting the replacement pulley from GTM has been a great experience, Mike was responsible for this. I emailed the issue with attached pics, and they emailed me back in the afternoon and the item was on it's way with in the same day. So credit to where credit is deserved, this replacement process has been great.

Now on to hopefully the end of issues.

The issue that i have discovered which in my opinion is the cause of all the other problems that i have been having is that my header to cat gasket is leaking on both sides. I always thought my exhaust is leaking somewhere since during cold starts standing beside the car is completely unbearable with exhaust fume smell and sometimes during regular driving with AC or heater on and fresh outside air mode, exhaust fume will get blown into the cabin. The interesting thing is that i have had this smell issue ever since i picked the car up from GTM, so i guess the exhaust gasket must have blown when the car is on the dyno. This does make me wonder how is the car tunned with 2 blown exhaust gaskets since that would effect quite a few parameters.

My next step is to actually replace my berks HFC with Motordyne ART pipe that i already got. It's the second gen with the ceramic coating, i asked my friend's shop to make a set of the header to cat gasket, and i plan on installing it with the gasket plus red RTV. I still find it interesting that both motordyne and fast intention is purely using red RTV for test pipe or HFC use, in my opinion pure red RTV is questionable. So far i haven't heard of anyone having any issues with leaks by using both. This install will happen the up coming weekend, hopefully everything goes well.

After that i have arranged a dyno tune at Lightspeed Innovations, on the 24th, to get the tune checked over and adjusted for test pipe use instead of HFC. Hopefully with the tune adjustment, it will be the end of the check engine light and unstable idle issue.

Fingers crossed i will report progress after the dyno day.

Last edited by theaudir8fan; 02-12-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:06 PM
ijahman

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Dude...

I'm glad to see you got your car sorted out, my car should be almost complete by the end of the month. A day before you get your car on the dyno...then it's going to San Jose for a audio rebuild...and hopefully I will have it back to me for import alliance in Atlanta GA on Aprill 22...
Old 02-12-2012, 07:52 PM
theaudir8fan

Originally Posted by ijahman
Dude...

I'm glad to see you got your car sorted out, my car should be almost complete by the end of the month. A day before you get your car on the dyno...then it's going to San Jose for a audio rebuild...and hopefully I will have it back to me for import alliance in Atlanta GA on Aprill 22...
Well not sorted out yet, just on the way to the target. Good to know your car is almost done, send me pics also why San Jose for audio? and what are you planning on putting in?
Old 02-12-2012, 08:37 PM
rks
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by theaudir8fan
Well not sorted out yet, just on the way to the target. Good to know your car is almost done, send me pics also why San Jose for audio? and what are you planning on putting in?
I hope if you get some time you can make a list of the problems you encountered and what the resolution. It would make troubleshooting a little easier for subsequent installers.

I hope you are trouble-free after your dyno.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:12 PM
ijahman

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

True almost sorted...I truly want to see you get it sorted out. Oh with out a doubt I will send you the pictures of the build...

For the audio one of the best SQ audio installers in the US in located in San Jose. Home he's done a lot of G's and Z's. My new install will consist of Focal Utopia No7 3ways for the front, Focal 33KX subwoofer, two Mosconi AS200.4 Amplifiers, and the Mosconi 6to8 DSP. He has ultra clean installs and thats just what I want....

My current Focal 165KRX3,Focal 165KRC, Focal 33KX, Audison LRx5.1k, Audison Bitone DSP install is no slouch but I just wanted to step it up a little.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:32 AM
theaudir8fan

rks, thanks and i will try my best to compose a list after the issues have been resolved, but for anyone interested at the mean time they can always spend sometime reading the posts.

ijahman, wow, and i thought your current setup is already pretty good, damn baller
Old 02-16-2012, 09:05 AM
Mkai0

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
rks, thanks and i will try my best to compose a list after the issues have been resolved, but for anyone interested at the mean time they can always spend sometime reading the posts.

ijahman, wow, and i thought your current setup is already pretty good, damn baller
Thanks for keeping us updated with your progress. I plan to send my car to GTM this summer for the Stage one SC upgrade and possible water/meth injection system for safety. Hopefully I can lay down 450 whp with no issues. BTW, I did have some power steering fluid leaking from lines too. I tightened them a little, and so far no leaking (crossing my fingers). I still have a few small issues that I'll have GTM take a look at. Overall, the kit is great! It pulls much harder than my friends Stillen G37. He now wants to buy the GTM SC Kit. (Not flaming Stillen, this is just from my personal observation)

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Last edited by Mkai0; 02-16-2012 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Grammar correction
Old 02-19-2012, 11:24 PM
theaudir8fan

Update,

Today i got together with my buddy at speedoptions to swap my berks HFC with ART testpipes. Over all the install was very straight forward. We used red rtv plus gaskets, and just from the drive back home, the car sounds so different and quieter. As it turns out the ART testpipes doesn't interferes with the trans cooler lines at all, but the passanger side does come very close to the trans oil pan, so much so that the wire clip that is used to hold the O2 bug wire has to be removed, see pics following

Now some pics of the failed gasket, it's much worst then i thought Just to clarify, these are the Berks graphite gaskets, i ordered them together with my HFC, they have been on the car for a total of less then 15,000kms.
Let's start with the driver side.

Now, passenger side

The lesson here is use RTV plus gasket at anytime. Fully cured RTV is like really soft rubber that is completely flexible, it is formed for a perfect fit, and will seal everything up really nicely. Put them together for that extra layer of security
Old 02-26-2012, 03:51 PM
theaudir8fan

Hey guys,

So on friday, i drove up to lightspeed and got the car retuned. Cam is without a doubt a very capable guy and did very well for the short time he got with the car and the limited information he had. The end result is 447.7whp and 315.1wtq @9psi this is done on a dynapack. Because we weren't able to obtain my original tune from Sam intime, Cam had to started everything from scratch.

As for the car, everything runs fine and well. What Cam really improved on is the idle, now the car idle much better then it did before, there are still a bit of fluctuation, but very minimal. Most of the time the car idles at around the 800-900rpm mark which is what i'm looking for. However, the thing that Cam didn't do as well on is that the hot start issue is a lot more prominent then before. So starting at anything higher then 70C engine oil temp, i have to start the car with the gas pedal.

To be perfectly honest, the car doesn't feel faster then it did before, and the driving dynamics is still about the same. I guess this does prove me wrong when i doubted Sam's original tune. But the original tune from Sam certainly could have improved on the idle rpm.

Overalll, I'm happy with lightspeed's service, they are a bunch of great guys that know what they are doing. The plan now is that i need to get Sam to send me his original tune and go back to lightspeed on another day to let Cam do some analyzing and see if there is anymore room for improvements. My final goal is to get the G with the current Cam's idle and Sam's start, and just maybe a little more power.

Last edited by theaudir8fan; 02-26-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:28 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
What is your opinion on art pipe versus hfc? Which one is quieter? How bad is the smell from art pipes?
Old 02-26-2012, 05:46 PM
theaudir8fan

IMAO, they are about the same on loudness, i can get both to make a annoying drone which will cause a huge headache on the highway. The difference is the tone, HFC has more hiss, ART has no hiss but it does have a much deeper tone. The smell is apparent during cold start in the garage, but i can live with it, on the road it's fine. Hope that helps
Old 02-26-2012, 06:18 PM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
Holy gasket leaks .. I bet your car sounded like chit with those leaks ... I had the same issue and rtv took care of it ....

Quick Reply: The first GTM stage 2 supercharged sedan