Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

RPM drops while in neutral... 6mt problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 09:53 PM
joey_v

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RPM drops while in neutral... 6mt problem

Hey guys,

I began noticing that my RPM drops while I'm in neutral. I have a manual G37 and I noticed this the most when I just start driving the car from an overnight rest... especially when I'm at a stop light.

The RPMs go from 1000 at neutral to 500-600 then the throttle goes back up. The car doesn't stall, but I can almost feel a "stutter".

I've read this occurs in some other Gs... but has anyone found a fix or a tsb?
Old 09-05-2011, 11:39 PM
breftayka

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by joey_v
Hey guys,

I began noticing that my RPM drops while I'm in neutral. I have a manual G37 and I noticed this the most when I just start driving the car from an overnight rest... especially when I'm at a stop light.

The RPMs go from 1000 at neutral to 500-600 then the throttle goes back up. The car doesn't stall, but I can almost feel a "stutter".

I've read this occurs in some other Gs... but has anyone found a fix or a tsb?
There is a TSB that is supposed to help. They reprogram the ECU. I had the dealership complete the TSB, but it still drops the RPMs when the A/C is on.

I'm pretty sure cleaning the throttle bodies will fix this. Go get the TSB done first though.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:12 PM
htownboy
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by breftayka
There is a TSB that is supposed to help. They reprogram the ECU. I had the dealership complete the TSB, but it still drops the RPMs when the A/C is on.

I'm pretty sure cleaning the throttle bodies will fix this. Go get the TSB done first though.
Clean the TB's like you said and also the Mass Airflow Sensors... Had to do mine at 25k and just did them again at 50k which brings the idle right back to normal. Response etc. is also restored to how it was at 7 miles... Go for it, it's easy. There's a DIY here somewhere if you search.