Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Best mods when staying NA?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 04:10 PM
DjFromVA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best mods when staying NA?

Whats good everyone?

Im looking to get a g37s 6mt coupe and i WAS thinking of going FI, either S/C or TC, but i decided to just keep it NA because i wanted to keep this car for a long time and wanted some reliability out of the engine. Tried looking up this subject on the forum with no luck.

Now I was already looking into...
headers
HFC
CB exhaust
takata ca intake
uprev tune

But i was wondering is there any other good/worthy upgrades that i can make to the engine to get more hp?

I dont want to upgrade anything that will hurt it overtime also, any and all help/advice you can give would b cool thx again. And mind you im not looking for 600+ but just looking to make some more power over stock.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:28 PM
Skyline6mt
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Headers make very slight impact on our cars man....definately yes on tp or hfc and catback but for the intakes go with stillen gen 3s or injen cai....only two that are really cold air....top it off with the tune and your good to go!.....

another option is an engine build and stroke you may want to consider later...gtm has up to 4.5L stroker kits available
Old 07-25-2011, 06:05 PM
Abdiel

lightened flywheel
underdrive pulleys
4.08 gears
lightweight wheels/tires
Old 07-25-2011, 06:32 PM
DjFromVA

Originally Posted by Abdiel
lightened flywheel
underdrive pulleys
4.08 gears
lightweight wheels/tires
ive heard that underdrive pulleys are bad for our engines in the long run.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:39 PM
Steveo47

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
theres never been a case (that ive been able to find) of an engine failing due to a lightweight pulley. I have a underdriven still crank pulley for sale!
Old 07-25-2011, 06:42 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
Headers are not worth the money spent on them + install IMO
Old 07-25-2011, 06:51 PM
Soliditude

Seems like you're looking for exactly the kind of thing I was looking for with my G. Nothing crazy, reliable, and a bit more power over stock.

My suggestion: The UpRev tune is fabulous, but it won't do you much good if you have nothing from aftermarket mods on your car prior. The tune is meant for putting all your mods in "harmony" with the car itself and other mods altogether. So you should only consider a tune if you have at least 1 or 2 bolt-ons before that. Nonetheless, the UpRev tune is the best tune available for our cars, so keep that in mind for the future.

My next suggestion is getting a full, cat-back exhaust. With a CBE, you will actually get some feel-able gains. Intakes won't do you much good unless you plan to rev your car high all the time, because they only add power in the mid-to-high range. Plus, they really need a tune to be any good, really.

I have a CBE with the UpRev tune and I love it. I feel like I can easily take an IPL. It's definitely more feel-able power since day one. In my opinion, a CBE is your place to start! HFC's will work great, too, but only if you have them with an exhaust and a tune. I used to have HFC's with my exhaust, and all I had was a TON of drone, but not any noticeable power, additionally, to the exhaust.

Good luck with your choice! I definitely recommend an exhaust first, though, and I'm sure many will agree here.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:10 PM
DjFromVA

Originally Posted by Steveo47
theres never been a case (that ive been able to find) of an engine failing due to a lightweight pulley. I have a underdriven still crank pulley for sale!
lol in that case i should look into one, they expensive?

Originally Posted by G37Sam
Headers are not worth the money spent on them + install IMO
why do u say that good sir?

Originally Posted by Soliditude
Seems like you're looking for exactly the kind of thing I was looking for with my G. Nothing crazy, reliable, and a bit more power over stock.

My suggestion: The UpRev tune is fabulous, but it won't do you much good if you have nothing from aftermarket mods on your car prior. The tune is meant for putting all your mods in "harmony" with the car itself and other mods altogether. So you should only consider a tune if you have at least 1 or 2 bolt-ons before that. Nonetheless, the UpRev tune is the best tune available for our cars, so keep that in mind for the future.

My next suggestion is getting a full, cat-back exhaust. With a CBE, you will actually get some feel-able gains. Intakes won't do you much good unless you plan to rev your car high all the time, because they only add power in the mid-to-high range. Plus, they really need a tune to be any good, really.

I have a CBE with the UpRev tune and I love it. I feel like I can easily take an IPL. It's definitely more feel-able power since day one. In my opinion, a CBE is your place to start! HFC's will work great, too, but only if you have them with an exhaust and a tune. I used to have HFC's with my exhaust, and all I had was a TON of drone, but not any noticeable power, additionally, to the exhaust.

Good luck with your choice! I definitely recommend an exhaust first, though, and I'm sure many will agree here.
trust me i plan on putting atleast cbe and cold air intake in even b4 i think of a tune, and yea u got the nail on the head i feel the same way.
how much did it cost all together for you uprev tune?
Old 07-25-2011, 08:17 PM
QuickSilver08

Hfc, cbe, cia, gears, and a tune. I'm doing gears in a couple of weeks.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:56 PM
droogie
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't recommend headers, expensive install and they will make your car super loud. If you look at our stock manifolds, they don't look that bad really.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:57 PM
DjFromVA

Originally Posted by QuickSilver08
Hfc, cbe, cia, gears, and a tune. I'm doing gears in a couple of weeks.
i got everything but the cia whats that?
Old 07-25-2011, 11:23 PM
QuickSilver08

Damn auto correct. CAI. Cold air intake.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:04 AM
DjFromVA

lol thought so
Old 07-26-2011, 08:53 AM
QuickSilver08

You could call the CIA and see if they can help you but I'm not quite sure you want their "help" HAHA
Old 07-26-2011, 04:26 PM
harbin9er
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Abdiel
lightened flywheel
underdrive pulleys
4.08 gears
lightweight wheels/tires
hmm i did some calculations - lightened pulleys don't do very much to help acceleration.
lighter flywheel/clutch and wheels/tires do make some improvements (3-5%), though

Quick Reply: Best mods when staying NA?