Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Love the 7AT

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 09:31 PM
Mudgen
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Love the 7AT

There are tons of threads and posts by people who don't like how the seven speed auto works, with sprinklings of "I like it" stories. Here's a thread just for the "I like it" tales. Maybe it takes off, and maybe it doesn't.

Yesterday I was on the I95N-I64W exit-merge in Richmond, VA, a two lane exit with a downhill S, blind on the first curve, with another exit peeling off left to the 195 expressway. At the end of the S, it goes to six lanes, but the two on the left are 195 traffic merging in, some of whom are diving right to get to the first I64 exit coming up, and the two on the right are I95S mergers, some of whom are diving left to avoid the exit traffic. You want to be on your toes, but it's an interesting little 3/4 mile of challenges.

I was in the left lane at 60mph, and as I took the first part of the S and got visibility of what was ahead of me, there was a van. Stopped. Half on the shoulder, half in my lane. I stabbed the brakes thinking it was just a panic stop and I'd sort out getting over to the right once I'd gotten stopped or nearly so. But as I got on the brakes, the 7AT (in DS mode, as always for me) did that sweet aggressive rev-matching downshift, and I knew Jezebel was ready for Daddy to get back on it. Glanced in the mirror, saw a 3 car length gap to the right, stepped back into it and flicked it over, instantly back up to speed with the traffic in that lane.

It was just a little thing, but it felt sweet. In my previous two Subie turbos, I'd have been caught a gear up from where I needed to be, with the turbo unspooled, and would have had to stop and wait for an opening.

What do _you_ like about the 7AT?
Old 07-08-2011, 09:54 PM
trcb777

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
In manual mode, it really shifts with authority in the 5k rpm range, at least in 1, 2 and 3rd gear. Very cool.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:03 PM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I've put almost 15,000 miles on my 2010 and have zero complaints with the 7 speed auto.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:10 PM
BKG37X

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I actually like the 7 speed, rev match and all. I just don't like the harsh downshift around 20 mph. Can't wait to get my grounding kit installed, heard it improves the shifting in manu-matic mode.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:12 PM
jamesshifflett

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Personally, I think the 7at lags way too much. When driving agressively in manual mode it often holds gear way too long and will sometimes let the car sit on the rev limiter. IMO, it's been pretty frustrating.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:40 PM
taskmaxter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The auto isn't bad, but it's not great either (at least when I test drove a couple of 2011 7at's). It felt like the transmission was really searching on me when out cruising around - that's why I opted to go with a manual. Seems like it would have been good if Infiniti went with a 6 speed auto with a manual overdrive into a 7th gear. Maybe Infiniti has got it dialed in now?
Old 07-09-2011, 12:13 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts
I think I'd like the 7AT much better if I didn't have a previous 07 G35 w/ THE perfect transmission, the 5AT was just so much better matched for this vehicle. I'd truly love to have my 3.7VVEL mated to my old 5AT.
But the 7AT isn't really something I can't live with, just requires more seat time to discover its' quirks and develop your driving habits around them.
Luckily I haven't had any of the serious lag issues that some have described which could be dangerous at the wrong time.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:58 AM
antirice
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
I shift manually 98% of the time. So I have little idea what all the complaints are about the 7AT. Having groundwires installed also helped a bit.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:40 AM
cervelo1

What do _you_ like about the 7AT?[/quote]

I like flooring the gas pedal and the 7AT seems to get me where I want very quickly
Old 07-09-2011, 07:10 AM
Amir

The gearing is pretty aggressive with the 7AT.
I have had no issues at all, and also think its a great box. Since I started driving most of the time in manual mode, the shift speed has increased dramatically. The rev matching is awasome.

I have been very surprised with the capability of this car. Yesterday against an AMG c63 the g37 was dead even till end of 2nd, and then the c63 started pulling away slowly once I changed into 3rd gear. We repeated this 3 times and the same result. Not bad against a car which has significantly more power and torque. I put this down to the gearing in the 7AT.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:21 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Amir
Yesterday against an AMG c63 the g37 was dead even till end of 2nd, and then the c63 started pulling away slowly once I changed into 3rd gear. We repeated this 3 times and the same result. Not bad against a car which has significantly more power and torque. I put this down to the gearing in the 7AT.
I think you may have been the only one racing. Those cars get to 60 more than a second quicker than ours. That's a lifetime for 0-60.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:58 AM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Love the 7AT..... Evidently in response to my grips on the other Tranny Threads. To each his Own. Similar to driving scenarios posted here, I can counter with other scenarios where the severe lagging will engage too. Not at high speeds so much, but a slower suburban streets or road speeds. I do concur with the driving responses in DS mode (at times , but still way different from the 07 G35X) or Manual mode, but judging from the many other member posts and PMs I received - in local driving with the customary traffic jams - the 7AT is very quirky, with jerky, gear hunting shifts and at times - not all the time - exhibits some serious Lagging / hesitation on the downshift. Yes, I agree, I love the rev matching & engine braking too in DS modes too BUT it was Better with the 5AT. I have started driving more and more in DS modes and switching back to D mode after certain passing manuvers. It's better - more liveable. I am still going to pursue Infiniti to either supply Free Paddle Shifters (seems that may help make the D mode more responsive), or be one of the first Guinea Pigs to try the so called reported " Fix" they are working on. You should my last post on the other thread: the response from the Infiniti Rep, Kevin, where over the phone call admitted that "I won't lie to you, there are other complaints filed".....when I asked him if I was the only filed complaint.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:16 AM
Amir

Originally Posted by 15951
I think you may have been the only one racing. Those cars get to 60 more than a second quicker than ours. That's a lifetime for 0-60.
Your reading from a magazine. In the real world, the c63 wheel spins and produces a lot of smoke if launched agressively. The driver has to slowly apply throttle until they are moving which takes time.
The g37 handles the power it has very well and is easier to get off the line. The 7AT gearing is suited well for 0-100km/hr.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:26 PM
wzupdoc

I have an '09 with the 7AT. The downshifting isn't always the smoothest but I never even notice it anymore unless I'm consciously trying to see how it feels. But when my wife is in the car she notices and it bugs her - but it's weird because it doesn't downshift harshly every time. But when you get on the car a little bit (or a lot) holy crap that transmission is nice. Butter smooth and holds the gears just right. And every time I do get on it I'm surprised how it just keeps pulling and pulling - unlike my old Accord 4 banger that started to peter out at about 70 mph.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:28 PM
cvroom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
overall i like the 7AT. i love how the 7at upshifts aggressively in the higher rpm ranges. i like how it downshifts automatically with revmatching while breaking. i can barely feel it while its in D and when i move it to DS it does this more aggressively which i like also. The only problem i have with the 7at is that i feel it should be more responsive in downshifting when i stab the gass while in D and 7th gear. It seems like this is only a problem while i am crusing in 7th gear. i move it to DS and i have no problems with downshifting at all. so if they can come up with a software change just to fix downshifting lag while in D and in 7th gear i think it would be perfect.

Quick Reply: Love the 7AT