Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Love the 7AT

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 11:56 AM
cvroom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HBSURFDAD
I am a pure newbie to this forum and to performance sedans.
To Allmati:
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Calibri]I have come across your complaining in every single thread about transmissions.
you got it. he is the 7at griping leader!

Last edited by cvroom; 07-12-2011 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:44 PM
Mudgen
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Amir
Yesterday against an AMG c63 the g37 was dead even till end of 2nd, and then the c63 started pulling away slowly once I changed into 3rd gear.
Originally Posted by jjasonSU
nice try, but not happening.

Anyway....its good to hear some compliments on the 7AT rather than whines about made up "flaring" etc
Well, if Amir says it happened, I suppose the C63 could have been broken, or the driver toying with him. But it's at least a second faster than us 0-60, and I hit 60 barely into third, so I'd expect us to be behind pretty much off the line.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:52 AM
maxfinity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love the ability of the 7sp auto to be aggresive when you get on it, but tame when your just cruising. My friends 07 w/5spd seems aggresive to me all the time, Though I love the transmission in that car as well. Driving his car is what made me fall in love with the G.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:21 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
HBSURFDAD: Per your comments to me: YOU made a choice and now someone else is supposed to fix what you judge to not be perfect?, There is no Perfection in life. Nor do I seek that, not in a car anyway. I'm voicing my displeasure with my "Choice" and also kick myself for not thoroughly test driving the car last June.

To contest your comments about not offerring any other insights, then you have failed to read the threads completely. Other than "MY" displeasure about the 7AT, and it's driveability (not that there aren't hundreds of similar comments posted in all the threads about the Tranny), & the fact that Infiniti has admitted that there are many other complaints filed as well, this is the "perfect" sports performance Sedan in ALL other aspects, without a Doubt. If Infiniti felt that the performance that I complain about, was solely car specific that would have been addressed accordingly, and it would have been rectified with a new Transmission under warranty. But that's not the case as the numerous posts of displeasure support.

I posted my comments on this "Love the 7AT" thread only to further document my frustrations and also to serve as a plea for my case. Infiniti has listened and responded, in that, a Division Manager after his/her review of the Dealer's service records of my car, may offer to allow out of the lease w/o any further cost to me. I aplogize for posting on this thread to break up the Love Affair with the 7At...
The Shift Paddles for us Lazy Guys, as other menbers have commented, when being used in D mode,[Yes I do Use the Manual Modes, when I feel like it) offer much less hesitancy / lagging in the perfromance and I would certainly welcome that. Fortunately for you, it appears that you did have the opportunity to drive the 07 G35X and therefore, cannot make the comparison that I and others are making concerning the driving characteristics of that "perfect Car"..

I invite you to read all of the numerous posts on all of the threads and you will see there are many posts by me that are both Pro and Con about this sole issue of the car. They have steadily become more and more negative b/c of the obvious: I don't love the gear hunting, hesitancy, & lagging that was not detected in my too brief of a Test drive nor existed in my 07 G35X.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:39 PM
HBSURFDAD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote=Almatti;3180332]

I posted my comments on this "Love the 7AT" thread only to further document my frustrations and also to serve as a plea for my case.

Almati,

I did read your frustrations, and I acknowledge the fact that you shared all solutions you have found for others with similar takes on the transmission. But do you see how your above quote makes you appear to someone reading your threads? Exactly how does this improve the OP's thread?

Sorry, but I like my car and it's performance so far.

HBSURFDAD
Old 07-13-2011, 04:09 PM
Almatti

[quote=HBSURFDAD;3180354]
Originally Posted by Almatti

I posted my comments on this "Love the 7AT" thread only to further document my frustrations and also to serve as a plea for my case.

Almati,

I did read your frustrations, and I acknowledge the fact that you shared all solutions you have found for others with similar takes on the transmission. But do you see how your above quote makes you appear to someone reading your threads? Exactly how does this improve the OP's thread?

Sorry, but I like my car and it's performance so far.

HBSURFDAD
You don't have to be sorry, I'm glad for you. That's how I felt with my 07, hard to say you love a car, But I did. That's why I kick my self for two reasons: 1) for NOT buying my 07 at lease termination for $20K !!! and 2) for not taking a Closer Look at the 2010 - too quick of a test drive. In the words of Hall and Oats: Had I known Better.....
Good Luck and no more post about my issues here. My apologies to the OP too.....
Old 07-13-2011, 04:21 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
[quote=Almatti;3180486]
Originally Posted by HBSURFDAD

You don't have to be sorry, I'm glad for you. That's how I felt with my 07, hard to say you love a car, But I did. That's why I kick my self for two reasons: 1) for NOT buying my 07 at lease termination for $20K !!! and 2) for not taking a Closer Look at the 2010 - too quick of a test drive. In the words of Hall and Oats: Had I known Better.....
Good Luck and no more post about my issues here. My apologies to the OP too.....
I think it's much easier to love the 7AT if you never had a pre 09 G35 (w/ the 5AT) or if this is your first "performance sedan". Unfortunately owning an 07 and now an 09 I ditto Almattis' frustrations and wish my G still had the 5AT. The mpgs are slightly improved but to compromise such a great AT for the sake of gas mileage and to keep up w/ other makes that have to stuff their ATs full of gears (Lexus 8AT for example) is just a shame IMO. Although I don't hate the 7at I surely don't love it, and if you've driven any current Audis or BMWs you'll soon find transmissions you'll love
Old 07-13-2011, 04:29 PM
kaoticdemize

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Mudgen
Well, if Amir says it happened, I suppose the C63 could have been broken, or the driver toying with him. But it's at least a second faster than us 0-60, and I hit 60 barely into third, so I'd expect us to be behind pretty much off the line.

you hit 60 into 3rd? shifting too early i have driven both the c63 amg and my 2010 g37. G37 sedan is about 5-5.3 sec 0-60 c63 at 4.1-4.3 so not over a second. I honestly prefer driving my g sedan as it just feels better and has a vastly better interior.

I chalk it up though to bad driving in the amg, nothing like side to side triptronic which doesn't feel right, could also be bad shifting, so in theory there is a chance for it to win. I have beat many vehicles that I should not have including an E63 amg, although my car is not stock.

Back on track here, I love my 7at, no issues, i do get some hard downshifts, but I also drive extremely aggressively averaging 11mpg so I come to expect it. In ds mode I have had it do 3 downshifts so after a while it does seem to connect well with driving habits.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:30 PM
kaoticdemize

^^ also want to mention i drive the 5 at's all day in the g35's and I do not see how anyone can prefer them over the 7at, especially in manual mode. But to each their own
Old 07-13-2011, 06:53 PM
Mudgen
Registered Member

Originally Posted by kaoticdemize
you hit 60 into 3rd? shifting too early i have driven both the c63 amg and my 2010 g37. G37 sedan is about 5-5.3 sec 0-60 c63 at 4.1-4.3 so not over a second. I honestly prefer driving my g sedan as it just feels better and has a vastly better interior.

I chalk it up though to bad driving in the amg, nothing like side to side triptronic which doesn't feel right, could also be bad shifting, so in theory there is a chance for it to win. I have beat many vehicles that I should not have including an E63 amg, although my car is not stock.
Full auto, it seems to shift to 3rd right about at 60 with it floored from a stop. Most car mag reviews put the G37x sedan at 5.3-5.6, the AMG C63 at 3.8 to 4.3. So I was saying a second or more. You may have better info, not arguing just stating my basis.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:52 PM
LexiG37

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I like the 7AT. It's a bit different from what I'm used to, but I still like it.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:58 PM
gugarci

Originally Posted by blnewt
I just wish they would have added a high mpg cog to the excellent 5 speed AT and ended up w/ a 6AT. An aggressive 5 speed w/ a nice overdrive no-load gear for highway cruising would have nailed it.
That what they should of done. The 6th gear would of been perfect as a HWY only overdrive gear. I like the 7AT and I drove the 5AT for about a year with my 08xS.

The only thing I hate about the 7AT is that is always cruising around town in too high of a gear. It should not be in 7th gear if doing about 40MPH's. But over-all I like, not love, the 7AT. But I never loved the 5AT either, but I like it.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:15 PM
kaoticdemize

Originally Posted by Mudgen
Full auto, it seems to shift to 3rd right about at 60 with it floored from a stop. Most car mag reviews put the G37x sedan at 5.3-5.6, the AMG C63 at 3.8 to 4.3. So I was saying a second or more. You may have better info, not arguing just stating my basis.

The x sedan will definately be slower, im going off rwd I work at an Infiniti and mercedes dealership so also going off personal experience

Full auto shifting in D only will shift sooner then DS.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:30 PM
Mudgen
Registered Member

^I've seen reviews saying that the X is ever-so-slightly faster, in spite of the weight disadvantage. But you have auto-learning involved, so if they're close it would be hard to have a definitive answer.

What is this "D only" of which you speak?

Seriously, I drive pretty much full time in DS with the VDC off. And in full auto, because the manual mode lag is too weird to try to time. Full auto shifts better than I can, personally, on this trans. Runs it right to redline and snaps 'em off.

Did I mention that I love the 7AT?
Old 07-15-2011, 05:52 PM
kaoticdemize

it takes getting used to but i can pull off perfect redline shifts in manual mode now Im thinking of disengaging permanently the VDC.

Ive driven the x and the rwd, (i own the rwd) and could tell a significant difference in the x being slower

Quick Reply: Love the 7AT