Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Help Planning to go GTM forced induction: Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 12:38 PM
Bong1012

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Planning to go GTM forced induction: Questions

Still saving up but there's no harm in researching early.

I've been reading about going forced induction. Superchargers or turbochargers.

Things I'm looking for in a kit:
-stealthy oem end result look
-bolt-on as much as possible without cutting/drilling (would be nice to be able to convert back to oem if need be)
-reliability (a setup that would last and not blow up my car or cause it to fail)
-quality (can withstand aggressive driving)
-easy install with everything included (install, turn key, and go)

I've read past reviews and threads about the Stillen supercharger. Didn't seem like things turned out well for them so I've decided to go GTM.

I've read about the installs for the GTM twin turbo kit and it really seems like it requires a lot of work and cutting/drilling, and at times, a PITA.
I didn't find anything on the GTM supercharger install so I got no idea how the install is for that but I've seen the thread for the Stillen supercharger install and it seems pretty straight forward and didn't seem to have cutting/drillling or PITA moments. I'm assuming the GTM supercharger kit will be similar?

Also, these threads I've recently read dated back 2009/2010!!
I'm curious to know how the forced induction kits for the guys who have them installed is going especially with reliability and if they ran into any issues?
How's gas consumption with these kits?
I also read that GTM came out with a Stage 2 supercharger kit? Seems like it improved in performance by a lot too. Up to 550hp! Sounds amazing for running at a safe low 8psi?

Feel free to post your suggestions, experience, opinions, etc. Anything helps!

Thanks,
Geoff
Old 06-20-2011, 12:48 PM
VossenG37S

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm also planning on this^ I'm actually going w GTM SC when I'm in socal next year ! They actually posted a thread w Weiboys swap from Stillen SC to the GTM kit. It seems GTM is the way to go for all the reasons u mentioned ! Reliable DD I say go w GTM SC . I watch their videos and it's amazing how their Kit performs .

Great thread>>>

https://www.myg37.com/forums/picture...-are-on-2.html

Last edited by VossenG37S; 06-20-2011 at 12:59 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:38 PM
Ibanez540r

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Bong1012
-bolt-on as much as possible without cutting/drilling (would be nice to be able to convert back to oem if need be)

-easy install with everything included (install, turn key, and go)
I'm not sure what kind of background or knowledge you have, but to me you seem a little off touch. Going FI is not a "bolt on" type of modification. It is very technical and a lot of work and time goes in to installing and getting the vehicle tuned correctly. It is NOT something you do and consider removing to go back to OEM, especially $7,000 - $10,000 later.

It also sounds to me, IMHO, that you are planning/thinking about doing the install yourself? Unless you have a mechanic background, don't even try.

Not trying to sound like a d***, just making sure you understand all that is involved.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:14 PM
Bong1012

Originally Posted by VossenG37S
I'm also planning on this^ I'm actually going w GTM SC when I'm in socal next year ! They actually posted a thread w Weiboys swap from Stillen SC to the GTM kit. It seems GTM is the way to go for all the reasons u mentioned ! Reliable DD I say go w GTM SC . I watch their videos and it's amazing how their Kit performs .

Great thread>>>

https://www.myg37.com/forums/picture...-are-on-2.html
Thanks! Right now I'm leaning more towards the GTM SC stage2. Agree with you how it seems more practical for a reliable DD.

Originally Posted by Ibanez540r
I'm not sure what kind of background or knowledge you have, but to me you seem a little off touch. Going FI is not a "bolt on" type of modification. It is very technical and a lot of work and time goes in to installing and getting the vehicle tuned correctly. It is NOT something you do and consider removing to go back to OEM, especially $7,000 - $10,000 later.

It also sounds to me, IMHO, that you are planning/thinking about doing the install yourself? Unless you have a mechanic background, don't even try.

Not trying to sound like a d***, just making sure you understand all that is involved.
I know what you mean. I do have a mechanical background but I still don't know everything. Just the basics and not in depth with what's required and/or supporting mods required in turbochargers and superchargers.
I'm not planning to going back to OEM after installing a FI kit. Especially if I'm spending such a large amount of money. I'm just saying if need be.

I would love to install the kit myself but only with a help of a knowledgeable shop with reputable tuners and, of course, GTM because I know for sure I won't be able to do the tuning myself. I've already located a shop I plan to go to for the install.

What I'm just trying to say is that the SC seems a lot more straight forward to install compared to the TT. And when I say SC, I've only seen the Stillen SC kit install. Both required custom modification such as the fuel pump and cutting of the rad support? But the TT seemed to have more cutting/drilling involved such as the oil pan area and the intake manifolds?
I just don't feel comfortable having to hack up too much of the car. Making things irreversible. I would like to keep that at a minimum.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Just trying my best to get all this started, know whats involved, and what to expect.

Appreciate your opinion!
Old 06-20-2011, 02:24 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
The best possible thing you can do is to call Sam at GTM. You'll learn more about what you need in talking to him for 15 minutes than you will reading mostly uninformed forum replies for a year.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:28 PM
OMG37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stop calling Sam, he needs to finish my car.

Seriously though, Sam (when available) can answer all your questions in very little time. The supercharger system is not entirely "bolt-on" fyi, so you'll have to get used to the idea of something being removed/cut/trimmed, etc.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:29 PM
Bong1012

^^sounds good guys. Definitely will give Sam a shout.
Other than that, are there anyone who's got a FI kit installed and ran into any issues down the road in the long run?
Old 06-20-2011, 03:38 PM
DjFromVA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmmm i like the thought of a supercharger myself, if you got it ud deff b bad *** lol
Old 06-20-2011, 04:07 PM
Weiboy718

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have it and I'm still no bad *** cuz there's always somebody else who's faster.

Op, I can tell you by my personal experience that The gtm sc kit is the only way to go if that's what you're planning on doing. It idles like stock drives like stock except with lot's more power. You would wanna invest on supporting mods too. Coolers and gauges are a must imo.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:16 PM
Bong1012

^^thanks guys for the info and suggestions.
I don't want go too crazy to the point where I'm damaging the engine. I also don't want to do any internal work. Twin turbo sounds unbelievable but I just feel as if it pushes way too much power the stock drivetrain and me can handle. Also it requires a lot more work, money, supporting mods, custom mods... Etc.

Weiboy, I'm planning to get the same gauges setup as you through displaying it on the nav screen. That would be sick. And as for coolers, don't they come with GTM SC kit?
Old 06-20-2011, 04:26 PM
Weiboy718

I'm sure Sam can put in a package deal for you. You can consider the blitz monitoring system also, but you may need to install a analog boost gauge
Old 06-20-2011, 04:46 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have the stage 1 SC from GTM. had it for over 35K KM so far and the only issue i had was a blowen 7AT trans. This was not due to the SC but my driving style and the initial lack of being able to program the ECU for the trans. I am on a second trans with the updates trans ECU from uprev and it is working fine. My old blowen trans was sent to Sam to see if it could be beefed up just to make me feel better. If you ahve the 7AT def get the trans cooler . I would do oil cooler too as it is nice to have. If you live in a place that gets winter like me be sure to tell sam so you get the temp bypass vale for the oil cooler. ( no need to run the oil threw the cooler when it is minus stupid out. Lowest intake temp for me so far has been -9F with out side air -38C)

If you go blitz you will want an anolog boost guage. If you go camp 2 you might want to shell out the money for the knock amp as well to get the AFR
Old 06-20-2011, 04:53 PM
Weiboy718

Don't listen to dumby. He gives people false info
Old 06-20-2011, 05:36 PM
Bong1012

^^Haha Alright.
I have a 08 G37S 6mt.
ARK catback, Takeda cai, Berk HFC, BC coilovers, Hotchkis swaybars, GTspec stb, Vossen 086's.. Planning to get SPC front and rears. Killing my tires being so cambered.

Really just want to save up to step it up a whole new level with a GTM stage2 SC.
For auto, supporting mods are required?
What about manual? Maybe a super grippy aftermarket clutch? My oem clutch has that infamous chatter and annoys the hell out of me. I would really want to upgrade my clutch if its required to support the SC and hopefully get rid of the awful clutch chatter.

Weiboy, you ended up getting a GTM SC? Are you 6mt? How are you liking it?

Last edited by Bong1012; 06-20-2011 at 05:54 PM. Reason: forgot to mention something
Old 06-20-2011, 05:46 PM
Weiboy718

LOL, you'll get even more chatter by going aftermarket flywheel.

Quick Reply: Help Planning to go GTM forced induction: Questions