Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Help Planning to go GTM forced induction: Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 06:07 PM
DjFromVA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Weiboy718
LOL, you'll get even more chatter by going aftermarket flywheel.
TRUE STORY!!!!!

i have an aftermarket clutch/flywheel on my srt-4, deff more loud then stock, but ive had it for a year+ so i dont evn notice.I thought it was just my car. Glad im not alone.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:00 PM
Bong1012

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^LMAO man that would be so fail for me.
Got off the phone with Sam not too long ago. SC is definitely cheaper than TT but TT is king in making serious power in the end.
Other than that, Sam said the SC kit was tested with oem clutch. Should be good enough for sure as long as I'm not doing stuff like burn outs. But for regular driving, clutch should last as long as it should.
I forgot to ask about any heating issues. Sam recommended a addition engine oil cooler but its not required and also not included in the SC kit.

Weiboy and Shumby, have you guys encountered any abnormal temperatures or over heating?
Can these GTM SC kits handle aggressive driving?

Last edited by Bong1012; 06-20-2011 at 07:02 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 06-20-2011, 08:26 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
NOPe I have not over temped my engine oil. Coolers seems to be doing it's job
Old 06-20-2011, 08:40 PM
Bong1012

^that's good news. Have you guys been to the track and driven it hard? if so, no issues?
Old 06-20-2011, 09:00 PM
Weiboy718

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by shumby
NOPe I have not over temped my engine oil. Coolers seems to be doing it's job
well, that's cuz you live in a icyland dum dum
Originally Posted by Bong1012
^LMAO man that would be so fail for me.
Got off the phone with Sam not too long ago. SC is definitely cheaper than TT but TT is king in making serious power in the end.
Other than that, Sam said the SC kit was tested with oem clutch. Should be good enough for sure as long as I'm not doing stuff like burn outs. But for regular driving, clutch should last as long as it should.
I forgot to ask about any heating issues. Sam recommended a addition engine oil cooler but its not required and also not included in the SC kit.

Weiboy and Shumby, have you guys encountered any abnormal temperatures or over heating?
Can these GTM SC kits handle aggressive driving?
yes, your stock clutch will hold that power on a S/C application cuz we don't have that neck snapping power and torque like the turbo does till higher rpms.

you should get a oil cooler, it is highly recommended for sure. i've heard of some people over heats the oil and goes into limp mode in stock form but of course they were beating it on the track. i'm currently running about 7 1/2 qt of oil in my car. i don't have a single issue with my oil, haven't even seen it gone past 220F. however when it's cold out it over cools the oil. if you live in a cold climate like dumby AKA Shumby you should get the oil cooler supplement kit.

did Sam give you a quote for everything?
Old 06-20-2011, 10:40 PM
Bong1012

Originally Posted by Weiboy718
well, that's cuz you live in a icyland dum dum

yes, your stock clutch will hold that power on a S/C application cuz we don't have that neck snapping power and torque like the turbo does till higher rpms.

you should get a oil cooler, it is highly recommended for sure. i've heard of some people over heats the oil and goes into limp mode in stock form but of course they were beating it on the track. i'm currently running about 7 1/2 qt of oil in my car. i don't have a single issue with my oil, haven't even seen it gone past 220F. however when it's cold out it over cools the oil. if you live in a cold climate like dumby AKA Shumby you should get the oil cooler supplement kit.

did Sam give you a quote for everything?
I'll definitely be getting a engine oil cooler with the SC kit. Our stock VQ engines get oddly hot as is. You think our drivetrains will withstand track use with the SC kit?
I'm still worried. No doubt.

I gave them a email for the price quote. Shipping to Canada.
For the GTM stage 2 SC kit and engine oil cooler.
Hopefully they reply back soon so I have an idea financially what to work with.

From like approx 280-290whp stock to approx 469-530whp GTM stage 2 SC kit is nuts. I hope its reliable. Reliability is so important.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:04 AM
Weiboy718

I'll definitely be getting a engine oil cooler with the SC kit. Our stock VQ engines get oddly hot as is. You think our drivetrains will withstand track use with the SC kit?
I'm still worried. No doubt.

I gave them a email for the price quote. Shipping to Canada.
For the GTM stage 2 SC kit and engine oil cooler.
Hopefully they reply back soon so I have an idea financially what to work with.

From like approx 280-290whp stock to approx 469-530whp GTM stage 2 SC kit is nuts. I hope its reliable. Reliability is so important.
oh crap, you're from the icyland too lol.

when going F.I you can never predict how long your internals will last. it can happen anytime. like Sam said,

Originally Posted by SAM@GTM View Post
The answer is: Nobody can determine what is "safe" vs. "unsafe" horsepower or boost for the motor. The real risk factor is always there. It can be minimized, but never eliminated.

so far, there's only a few supercharged cars blew their engines in the vqhr. i wouldn't worry too much about it cuz if you do you can never have fun with it. i was just like you in the beginning always fearing this and that. it really took away the fun out of a F.I car. now i'm more open to it and not think of it.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:37 AM
Bong1012

^Yeah I live in Canada! lol
But I have my G stored during the winters. Plus they salt the roads here and I really don't want to put my car through that...

That's why I wanted to go with a FI kit that kept boost psi low. Seemed like supercharging was the "safer" way to go. Even though a few guys have their engines blown already.

Do you guys have the Setrab competition oil cooler and a performance rad to fix the heating issue for our vqhr's? Since the stock engines heat up so easily as is, I feel that overheating was one of factors that would cause a blown FI engine.
But GTM should know with their testing. Wouldn't they have made a addition performance rad for recommendation to keep the temperatures low since its SC/TT too?

Last edited by Bong1012; 06-21-2011 at 10:39 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 06-21-2011, 11:21 AM
Weiboy718

I have the 19 row cooler, don't think anything bigger than that will fit our car's. Don't worry about the water temp, it's never a problem unless you live in the middle east camel land lol.

Last edited by Weiboy718; 06-21-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:55 PM
Bong1012

^lol
Alright cool.
I'm just waiting for someone to test out the GTM SC stage 2 and hopefully post up a review/install thread. As of now, it's the kit I'm leaning towards.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:00 PM
Weiboy718

^lol
Alright cool.
I'm just waiting for someone to test out the GTM SC stage 2 and hopefully post up a review/install thread. As of now, it's the kit I'm leaning towards.
What are your power goals?
Old 06-21-2011, 04:03 PM
Fezzik

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts
I did the install myself. I've never done force induction before in my life. I did a jdm motor swap in an infiniti G20 but that's about it. This was a lot easier. I didnt need any special tools other than the 90 degree drill. The instructions are self explanatory and if you have question there are enough of us on here to help or SAM is a phone call away. The install took a weekend for me.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:37 PM
voltic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just curious... does anyone here actually have an FI'd daily driver G?
It just seems to me like I read about a lot of garage queens that only come out to play on Saturday.

(Sorry in advance if I've offended. )
Old 06-21-2011, 04:50 PM
dal1307

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by voltic
Just curious... does anyone here actually have an FI'd daily driver G?
It just seems to me like I read about a lot of garage queens that only come out to play on Saturday.

(Sorry in advance if I've offended. )
Mine comes out to play almost every sunny day, which is a lot during the Colorado summer It is outside in the parking lot as I am typing this.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:06 PM
Chi-City-G
Premier Member

Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts
Fezzik also daily drives his beautiful drop-top stage 1 GTM SC here in Chicago, EVEN IN THE WINTER!!!

Quick Reply: Help Planning to go GTM forced induction: Questions