Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

6MT noise?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 08:28 PM
RedTapePatrol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6MT noise?

Hey guys,

I want to know if a few of the noises coming from my transmission are normal or not, any help would be appreciated.

- When shifting from 1-2-3 above 5k rpm, the transmission makes a noise that is not there if shifting below 5k, I wouldn't go as far as calling it a "grinding" noise but it's close.
- There's a constant high-pitched whine when accelerating coming from the transmission, at lower RPM it's drowned out by the bassy tune of the exhaust, but it's very obvious from 2.5k to 4.5k especially with the windows up and radio turned off. It's kind of annoying because the sound insulation blocks out the good noise I want to hear from the engine & exhaust but fails to block that one out.
- When in 1st gear, if I disengage the clutch but keep the shifter in 1st and coast to a stop, the transmission makes the exact same noise as a Honda Civic going in reverse gear. This noise is not there in any other gear or if I move the shifter out of 1st.

I've never owned a RWD V6 w/ a manual transmission, so I wouldn't know if these noises are simply characteristics of such a drivetrain, or if there is reason to be concerned. I would certainly like to get rid of the noise as it would make my driving experience more pleasing, but I understand the car is a machine and machines make noises.

Thanks!
Old 06-19-2011, 06:04 PM
mindlikeskyle

I'm not too sure I can relate to this. I guess I don't experience the same sound? I don't think a "grinding noise" would be what you wanted to be hearing though. Hopefully someone else has a solution though or you can get it check out. GL!
Old 06-19-2011, 06:20 PM
Skyline6mt
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
All the newer Gs do this. Don't know what it is but both autos and manuals have it under acceleration
Old 06-19-2011, 07:42 PM
BagFalls

You might take some videos and post them. It will make it a lot easier for people to reply with either "that's normal," or "that's not normal."
Old 06-19-2011, 11:18 PM
IcebergG

Originally Posted by Skyline37
All the newer Gs do this. Don't know what it is but both autos and manuals have it under acceleration
I totally agree, my 2011 6MT does it and it's ANNOYING
Old 04-11-2012, 04:42 AM
DiasG

Originally Posted by RedTapePatrol
Hey guys,

I want to know if a few of the noises coming from my transmission are normal or not, any help would be appreciated.

- When shifting from 1-2-3 above 5k rpm, the transmission makes a noise that is not there if shifting below 5k, I wouldn't go as far as calling it a "grinding" noise but it's close.
- There's a constant high-pitched whine when accelerating coming from the transmission, at lower RPM it's drowned out by the bassy tune of the exhaust, but it's very obvious from 2.5k to 4.5k especially with the windows up and radio turned off. It's kind of annoying because the sound insulation blocks out the good noise I want to hear from the engine & exhaust but fails to block that one out.
- When in 1st gear, if I disengage the clutch but keep the shifter in 1st and coast to a stop, the transmission makes the exact same noise as a Honda Civic going in reverse gear. This noise is not there in any other gear or if I move the shifter out of 1st.

I've never owned a RWD V6 w/ a manual transmission, so I wouldn't know if these noises are simply characteristics of such a drivetrain, or if there is reason to be concerned. I would certainly like to get rid of the noise as it would make my driving experience more pleasing, but I understand the car is a machine and machines make noises.

Thanks!
Having this same noise wanted to know if its normal? When im in those gears specialy in 1st it whiness sounds like im in reverse
Old 04-11-2012, 09:35 AM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Normal. Quiet is not really a characteristic of this transmission.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:03 AM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by cruzmisl
Normal. Quiet is not really a characteristic of this transmission.
Very True!

My Manual Issues are:

a) Loud Cattery Clutch - noticeable when its not pressed in.
b) Shifting sometimes from 1st to 2nd I hear like a grind noise - apparently normal according to Infiniti
c) On the Highway if Im in 4th trying to switch to 5th real fast or 6th dosnt seems to slide right in. You have to muscle it in. - Again apparently normal according to Infiniti.

Buutt it works fine, I have 42,000+ miles and not clutch replacement or anything on it. *Knocks on Wood*
Old 04-11-2012, 01:37 PM
08slate08

blast the music and you wont hear **** lol
Old 04-11-2012, 01:44 PM
eVitO

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Just curious, do you have wheels or spacers installed? Or did you recently take off your wheels?
Old 04-11-2012, 02:07 PM
Sunny's G37
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is what I hear on my car …
1. Accelerating from 1st gear all the way through 4th, regardless of the RPM, I get a whining sound which almost sounds like a supercharger. Yeah yeah, I checked under my hood and there’s no hidden SC on mine.
Don’t know if this whine (synchro whine??) is normal but I am getting it looked at anyways. Any opinions?
2. Almost like a “grinding” sound under hard acceleration above 5k rpm for the 1st and 2nd gear. This is apparently normal according to people who own this car.
3. From the dig, engage into 2nd gear from 1st is a bit hesitant and it almost feels like a rubber thingi resisting shift. No grinding AT ALL though. According to Infiniti, this is normal.
4. When idling, if the clutch is not engaged, there’s a chatter from front driver side. Again, normal according to Infiniti. They did some adjustment on the flywheel and it seems like the chatter is much lesser now. But, it’s still there.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:57 PM
eVitO

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
3 & 4 sound very normal, don't worry about that.

Never paid attention to 1, but then again, my exhaust pretty much covers everything up.

#2 doesn't sound normal either, but others are saying it is, so maybe I don't hear it, or it is in fact a normal thing that I've just accepted while daily driving.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:06 PM
Sunny's G37
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^ Thanks for the response ... maybe i'll just get it checked although getting dealerships to do warranty work is a friggin PITA. ughhh