Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Weird noise need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 02:05 AM
kelshmo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have recently noticed a very quiet knocking on mine. I only seem to hear it when I am in a drive thru or with my car in drive and stopped. If I switch it into neutral the sound goes away, also the RPM slightly increase because the gear disengages. It is very quiet and I don't really notice it all the time. Maybe also the fuel damper? I still have Drive train warranty for another 2 years so I might just go get it checked.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:55 PM
My3.7

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
PURGE VALVE!!
It was the bloody Purge Valve! Once I had that replaced + regular maintenance; it's been running as good as new.
Here's how to check.
Get you car up to normal operating temperature.
With the car on & in park, pop the hood
Begin to give it gas ever so slightly up to 2,000rpms (ticking sound should increase along with the rpms)
If you hear a clicking/ticking sound keep reading... If not idk what's wrong with your car.
Next stick your hand behind the throttle body on the passenger side, there you will find the purge valve.
While placing your hand on the solenoid feel for the vibration as it ticks.
If the sound and vibration are in unison, congratulation. It's time to replace you Purge Valve.
Technically they are suppose to make a slight ticking sound, but if yours is abnormally loud as mine was, it time to have it replaced.