Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Weird noise need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 04:53 PM
G Nepal

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
"MOST" INFINITI dealerships are POC! All they wanna do is not help you. Specially if they know you have warranty. Stay away from Crest Infiniti in Plano.
The following users liked this post:
Jordan Ramon (04-14-2020)
Old 03-04-2013, 04:54 PM
G Nepal

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
I have been there like 5 times for the same problem and they haven't been able to fix the noise that's coming from under the hood. They simply say they can't hear it, when it's friggin LOUD!
Old 03-05-2013, 11:19 AM
jktinen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My car sounded like a diesel after it was warmed up. I brought it to autoplace in buffalo ny 5 times and they were unable to "hear" it. I finally took it to Dorschel in Rochester NY who immediatley heard the noise. They traced it to a fuel line dampener, replaced it and the noise is gone.
The following users liked this post:
MStrike (11-12-2021)
Old 03-06-2013, 08:03 PM
GPR-37s
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey guys, I should've done this a long time ago but here we go... I have been getting several PM's in the last few days with questions about the outcome of my problem. In my case the culprit of the noise was the FUEL DAMPER.... I believe there is more than one but this is the one with the little hose...Once this part was replaced the noise was gone and it has been a good 20K miles since it was replaced and the noise is still gone... Hope this helps... I believe one of the members that PM'd me had the same issue and when I was researching I found that it was a common problem in older nissans and infiniti vehicles....
Old 03-15-2013, 09:16 PM
deep007

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by GPR-37s
Hey guys, I should've done this a long time ago but here we go... I have been getting several PM's in the last few days with questions about the outcome of my problem. In my case the culprit of the noise was the FUEL DAMPER.... I believe there is more than one but this is the one with the little hose...Once this part was replaced the noise was gone and it has been a good 20K miles since it was replaced and the noise is still gone... Hope this helps... I believe one of the members that PM'd me had the same issue and when I was researching I found that it was a common problem in older nissans and infiniti vehicles....

Now question remains the same. I think I have the same problem but mine is tapping around 1200 rpm. Did your ever tap on low RPM's or was it only at idle. Went to infinit they said my its my piston slapping but I doubt it. If it was a piston slap it would go away after it warms up. But mine is there all the time. Car idles fine I thinking about buying a fuel damper but that thing cost 120 for one and have three
Old 03-15-2013, 09:46 PM
GPR-37s
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by deep007
Now question remains the same. I think I have the same problem but mine is tapping around 1200 rpm. Did your ever tap on low RPM's or was it only at idle. Went to infinit they said my its my piston slapping but I doubt it. If it was a piston slap it would go away after it warms up. But mine is there all the time. Car idles fine I thinking about buying a fuel damper but that thing cost 120 for one and have three
The one causing the noise in my case was the damper with the little hose which is just one the other two where not the problem. I honestly can't remember but it was mainly at idle that I could hear it since I had exhaust and intakes anything past idle I couldn't notice.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:36 PM
nassiris90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That sounds like something really annoying, hope the issue is solved soon. Good luck.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:37 AM
BLamb
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Do you know exactly where the fuel dampener with the hose is located? Or have a part number? I'm hearing a similar noise after pulling into the garage, might be paranoid but would like to check this out myself then take it in to the dealer to avoid the I can't hear it defense.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:07 PM
FelixC21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the exact same noise , it started once I hit 52,000 on my 08 coupe..It even does it when the car is getting warmed up or if I'm talking to someone outside while having the car on drive and applying the brakes , If you can let us know the replacement part or how it looks like I would really appreciate it.; Thanks!
Old 03-16-2013, 07:02 PM
socialconflicts

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I get this noise not too often but it comes and goes. Everytime i hear it, it reminds me of a similar noise i hear come from volkswagon. Ima have to get this checked out.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:52 PM
My3.7

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hey guys does this sound as if its the Fuel Damper ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cBH...ature=youtu.be

It continues to happen even when the engine is at proper operating temperature. Even more so after a bit of heavy driving.

Thanks
Old 03-31-2014, 05:47 PM
InitialDeezNutz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Flywheel noises perhaps ?
Old 03-31-2014, 11:22 PM
SIK37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's hard to tell with those D*MM birds in the background!! Lol. I have a similar sound but you can only hear it inside the cabin coming from the passenger side it's hard to describe.. But from a couple threads with audio clips I've read/heard it appears to be the Fuel Dampners on mine. Gona get it checked soon. Infinity quoted me to replace would be around $350, but from what I gather we have 2 or 3 so I'm not sure if the quoted price was for all or 1 which seems to be the problematic one..
Old 04-01-2014, 01:10 AM
monytx
Registered Member

Received 116 Likes on 109 Posts
Sounds more like a belt to me.. I can't really tell with the video.. My headphones suck I guess.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:45 PM
My3.7

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thank You!
Very much appreciated! I've been going back and forth to the dealership for the past month and half for rough idle issues which they finally addressed. BUT now I have this random ticking/knocking noise. I'll be sure to post another video soon.
Thanks again guys.

Quick Reply: Weird noise need help!!!