Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Annoying 7sp transmission.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 12:15 PM
manbeing
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Annoying 7sp transmission.

I bought 2011 G37x about one month ago, and have driven it for 700+miles. The transmission is very smooth when speed up, however, it does have a hard shift(sometimes) from 2nd gear to 1st gear, especially, when bump-bump driving. Very annoyed!

I have asked dealer to install TSB ITB10-075, unfortunately, it doesn't help a lot. I have read through all posts regarding 7AT in this forum. Two people say Infiniti engineers are working on a new software update. I hope they could release it soon.

I should consider a TL or bimmer 3 before buying a G37.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:19 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
TL is ugly. 3 series is overpriced.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:56 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by sniper27
Just my humble opinion based on my history as an orginal Group Z member and BMW CCA member for more than a decade. I've watched the debate for years from both sides. I'd say BMW and Infiniti both make nice cars. Reliablity and resale are often credited to Infiniti where BMW has the numbers and a longer track record.

IMHO, BMW often spins its line as better because it costs more. But, when comparing like priced 3 series and G's, some might think it more accurate to say, at a comparable G price, the 3 series is just underpowered.

If cars of barely comparable prices are matched, I'd enter the GTR against most any mass produced streetable car.

I'd say most all manufactures have something to offer the right buyer, except maybe a few of them that have gone out of business.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:30 PM
tharbemiko

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just drive it more. I noticed my transmission started shifting much smoother after driving a few thousand miles. Previously I would have this ROUGH downshift from 4-> 3, but now it's nonexistent.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:26 PM
bingpwr
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have an 09 and have learned to live with it. I also have the newest TSB. I hate this transmission with a passion when I'm driving in city. Two major problems I've faced:
1) Braking to a stop feels jerky because transmission downshifts. Smooth braking without any jerky feel is difficult to achieve these days.
2) Coming to almost a full stop and then you gas it. Huge lag in the throttle, and the transmission sometimes jerks.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:56 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
At least we never need to worry about running out of 7AT threads.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:47 PM
trcb777

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Infiniti must have fixed the transmission in 2011. No problems yet, 2000 miles...
Old 06-07-2011, 09:49 PM
KLB

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
At least we never need to worry about running out of 7AT threads.
Amen! Everyone should have at least one.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:35 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by trcb777
Infiniti must have fixed the transmission in 2011. No problems yet, 2000 miles...
I have an 09 and it's fine.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:48 PM
zoner

Originally Posted by tharbemiko
Just drive it more. I noticed my transmission started shifting much smoother after driving a few thousand miles. Previously I would have this ROUGH downshift from 4-> 3, but now it's nonexistent.

My experience as well. Shifting and gas mileage get better with age.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:52 PM
zoner

Agree. IMO stick a Honda badge on the back of the 3 series sedan and most avg folks wouldn't know the difference. Bland, bland and more bland.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:23 AM
awais
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by bingpwr
I have an 09 and have learned to live with it. I also have the newest TSB. I hate this transmission with a passion when I'm driving in city. Two major problems I've faced:
1) Braking to a stop feels jerky because transmission downshifts. Smooth braking without any jerky feel is difficult to achieve these days.
2) Coming to almost a full stop and then you gas it. Huge lag in the throttle, and the transmission sometimes jerks.

1 improved with the latest TSB, less engine braking and smoother brake feel, compared to before.

2 is downright annoying, if you're following someone whose about to make a right turn, brake to slow down, then press gas and you almost have to wait 2 second for the transmission to do something. It's noticeable on corners too, as well as making left turns if there's a on coming car.

I find DS is better to drive in because it doesn't hesitate as much to downshift, so it hides this problem. Infiniti needs to focus on this in their next udpate.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:08 AM
bingpwr
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by awais
1 improved with the latest TSB, less engine braking and smoother brake feel, compared to before.

2 is downright annoying, if you're following someone whose about to make a right turn, brake to slow down, then press gas and you almost have to wait 2 second for the transmission to do something. It's noticeable on corners too, as well as making left turns if there's a on coming car.

I find DS is better to drive in because it doesn't hesitate as much to downshift, so it hides this problem. Infiniti needs to focus on this in their next udpate.
For #2, I definitely agree. There's been times when I've needed to gun it and had to wait for the car to respond. Very scary during emergency maneuvering situations.

I also have the latest TSB, and I do feel that it doesn't hesitate as much in D mode. In DS mode, I still feel the jerkiness but to a lesser degree than before. I also like that it doesn't downshift for you at every single stop with the udpated TSB in DS mode
Old 06-08-2011, 09:21 AM
DocJohn
G-DOG

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bingpwr
For #2, I definitely agree. There's been times when I've needed to gun it and had to wait for the car to respond. Very scary during emergency maneuvering situations.
+1 ... I agree 100%!!!
My biggest complaint is the hesitation in a quick "gas...brake...gas" situation. The car just seems to sit there for 2 seconds before it decides to get up and go. As you said, this has been very scary when I needed to get moving in emergency maneuvering situations. Infiniti needs to develop as fix for this ASAP!
Old 06-09-2011, 08:59 PM
G37CPA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree completely.

Quick Reply: Annoying 7sp transmission.