Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Annoying 7sp transmission.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 12:25 PM
jdg37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by g37guy01
^^^^ Out of curiousity do the dealers do this automatically when the car is in for service, or do you have to ask it for it?
I definitely had to ask. The service manager came out and talked to me. I told him hard shifting and lots of lag. He even did a test drive before they did the reflash.

Originally Posted by Almatti
Are you talking about the IT-075 Reflash of the ECU / TCM? Or is there something New ?
I have no idea... It's the one from the big thread that applies to some 2011 vehicles.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:46 PM
MikeKORE

Originally Posted by bingpwr
I have an 09 and have learned to live with it. I also have the newest TSB. I hate this transmission with a passion when I'm driving in city. Two major problems I've faced:
1) Braking to a stop feels jerky because transmission downshifts. Smooth braking without any jerky feel is difficult to achieve these days.
2) Coming to almost a full stop and then you gas it. Huge lag in the throttle, and the transmission sometimes jerks.
I have 350kms on my 2011 G37xS (literally brand new) and I have noticed this lag in throttle and jerky transmission too as you come to a stop. Just this afternoon I was coming to a stop to make a right turn, kept rolling at bit and as I gently hit the gas it was an abrupt downshift, a hesitation and then it returned to normal driving. I was considering going back to the dealing to see if there was a remedy, but from reading this forum it seems like a normal complaint. So far, it's the only thing I don't like about it...

As for the comments about the BMW vs the G37.... I am coming from a 530i and I have to say that I think the G is a much more fun car to drive overall. BMW's are bland to say the least, but their one great feature is their famous "driving on rails" feeling. You wont get that from ANY other German car that I've driven. Is it a reason to take a BMW over a G?? Who knows. At this point, I would only do an M3, M5 or X5-M if I were to ever go back.

The G is a great car nonetheless, and I am hoping to get many great years out of it.

Mike
Old 08-22-2011, 09:24 AM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jdg37
I definitely had to ask. The service manager came out and talked to me. I told him hard shifting and lots of lag. He even did a test drive before they did the reflash.

I have no idea... It's the one from the big thread that applies to some 2011 vehicles.

jdg37, can you determine from your Service Ticket what TSB they applied? If it's other than IT-075 ( a reflash of the ECU/TCM to help to correct the coasting harsh downshifts) I'd love to know.... If yoy read my entries on the OTHER TRANSMISSION THREAD.. the one with 75 or more pages, I have been a ardent protester of the 7AT. I've filed a Consumer Affairs Complaint with Infiniti about the Jerkiness and Quirky lagging response of the Tranny. Infiniti's District Manager has driven the car with the Service Manager of the Dealership and me, all agree to the jerkiness / lagging. I'm Told: "It is operating as designed.....there's nothing wrong with the car or it's transmission"...I am still going back and forth with them - even trying to turn the car in on a early lease termination w/o any Further Costs or obligation to me b/c of my dissatisfaction. I'm getting stiff resistance to this request and have been offered a Elite Maintenace Package up to 45k miles....Ha, ha....that's funny. I was "asked" not to Blog that offer. Well I did anyway. Infiniti has admitted to this problem - in their Rep's words: they were trying to make the perfect combination of programming between the ECU and TCM for every driving scenario with the 7AT - the perfection of highest response & highest Mileage per Gallon...It's the mpgs that they MUST MEET accross the entire Infiniti Fleet.

Anyway, after receiving some other member scoldings b/c of my chronic conmplaints where many say "they love the 7at".... I've begged off from further posts until I saw this Thread resurrected with recent new posts. Still to date with nearly 19k miles on the clock, the stragest thing about this car is that it can vary in response almost day to day. One day great , another jerky performance.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:09 AM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Still to date with nearly 19k miles on the clock, the stragest thing about this car is that it can vary in response almost day to day. One day great , another jerky performance.
Yes, this car is very moody. I can't predict if it response on time or not. The other day I drove 300 mile round trip to CT and it was a blast to drive...with no traffic that is. As soon as I come back to NYC, in traffic, it started to lag again as I change lanes.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:25 PM
Almatti

HappyG, suddenly (don't want to JIX myself), for the past few days, the car is performing like it is Designed To Do. Very responsive, little lagging, if any, seems smoother at highway speeds. All Things Are Equal, same weather, same gas (Premium Only always- Hess or Shell [prefer Shell as the best]), same general driving pattern....I have driven 'er with a bit more varying on the throttle, not too much of a steady foot, more variable. I have 19K miles on it, and if this is the way the car drives without going into those Lags/hesitation modes & quirky downshifts, then WOW: I too Would Love the 7AT....If I figure it out, I'll Post it.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:56 PM
Mudgen
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You know, the other day I noticed some odd AT behavior, lags and such, that weren't my normal experience. After wondering and driving for a while, I noticed that the Snow setting had inadvertently been bumped on. Turned it back off and things were normal again.

Al, I don't imagine that your problems are from accidentally driving in the Snow setting, but I now wonder if there may be some cars where this activates intermittently somehow without hitting the switch. You might experiment with toggling it on/off when you have the lag to see if anything changes. Just a thought.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:48 PM
Almatti

Mud, thx for the thought on the Snow Mode. But I've checked that. If you put it on it does affect everything. But alas, that's not the problem. Anyway, she's been driving very well of late....Go Figure.

PS: Infiniti has issued their Final Ruling: There's Nothing Wrong with the Car, it is Operating as designed, therefore No trade in at $0 cost to me, and no offer of adding Paddle Shifters which seem according to some member posts add some controlability to make quicker downshifts causing less hesitation. They will offer an Elite Maintenance Program at no cost - so that I can take care of THEIR car...
Old 08-25-2011, 04:52 PM
YewWanSum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is funny. Mine was lagging bad, took it to dealer they did what they had to do and it didnt fix anything. I bought a BB Grounding kit and there's no more lag whatsoever, best 90$ I ever spent and my sound system is clearer too!
Old 08-25-2011, 05:03 PM
Mudgen
Registered Member

Mud, thx for the thought on the Snow Mode. But I've checked that. If you put it on it does affect everything. But alas, that's not the problem. Anyway, she's been driving very well of late....Go Figure.

PS: Infiniti has issued their Final Ruling: There's Nothing Wrong with the Car, it is Operating as designed, therefore No trade in at $0 cost to me, and no offer of adding Paddle Shifters which seem according to some member posts add some controlability to make quicker downshifts causing less hesitation. They will offer an Elite Maintenance Program at no cost - so that I can take care of THEIR car...
Good that it's behaving better, and that you're getting a pretty high dollar freebie. But what I was saying was that I wondered if somehow the Snow circuit could be engaging intermittently in some fashion independent of the switch. I was thinking that if that were the case, toggling the switch on and back off might tickle it back off. That's not a fix, but if you determined that it made the symptoms go away at least temporarily when you did it, it might give you something else to put in front of Infiniti.

I honestly think that most of your complaints are about not liking how the transmission works by design, but the lag thing is an anomaly and may be due to something wrong with your car that has nothing to do with your not liking the transmission design. And I'd be glad for you if it got resolved.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:16 PM
Foon

So I guess the golden question is, is the 5AT better than the 7AT or vice versa?
Old 08-25-2011, 05:37 PM
Mudgen
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Foon
So I guess the golden question is, is the 5AT better than the 7AT or vice versa?
Oh, no, you di'n't!
Here we go.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:43 PM
Almatti

Originally Posted by Mudgen
Good that it's behaving better, and that you're getting a pretty high dollar freebie. But what I was saying was that I wondered if somehow the Snow circuit could be engaging intermittently in some fashion independent of the switch. I was thinking that if that were the case, toggling the switch on and back off might tickle it back off. That's not a fix, but if you determined that it made the symptoms go away at least temporarily when you did it, it might give you something else to put in front of Infiniti.

I honestly think that most of your complaints are about not liking how the transmission works by design, but the lag thing is an anomaly and may be due to something wrong with your car that has nothing to do with your not liking the transmission design. And I'd be glad for you if it got resolved.
Mudgen, Thanks for the words of encouragment. If I engage the Snow Mode there is an entirely different feel to start up, less responsive throttle, etc. The Dealer did check that, they checked all of the electronics.

For the record, when the car is driving "properly" as it is designed to do (and as it suddenly has been for me over the past week, go Figure ??) I too like the 7 AT.....Better MPGs, and good solid shifts that seem to be in the "right" gear for the driving condition.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:11 PM
spect2k

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm going to chime in to the conversation a bit late. I've been complaining to the dealer about the transmission issues for over a year now. I had the original flash to the transmission and then more recently the newest tsb to come out in December. I can definitely understand many of the complaints that people are talking about here. The truth is, I can live with most of them and they don't really bother me. The newest tsb has done a nice job in my opinion of working out the situation.

I find the problem to be the gas - brake - gas issue. The first time it happened to me, I thought there was something wrong with the car and I pulled over. I couldn't replicate it at the time, so I continued on my way. It then happened again when I braked to get onto the highway entrance ramp. It's a short ramp, so after you make the turn, you accelerate pretty hard. It happened again here and scared me half to death. I then realized that it's the gas - brake - gas issue. I'm going to complain about it again to the dealer, I've never seen anything like it. I can live with the other issues, but this is amazing...
Old 08-30-2011, 06:33 PM
awais
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I have started driving the car regularly in the DS mode. IMO, this is how the D mode should have been. The pre IT-075 flash DS mode was more aggressive.

So in DS mode the gas brake gas condition doesn't happen. The transmission automatically downshifts enough gears that when you press the gas the car goes without any hesitation/lag.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:38 PM
hadokenuh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by awais
I have started driving the car regularly in the DS mode. IMO, this is how the D mode should have been. The pre IT-075 flash DS mode was more aggressive.

So in DS mode the gas brake gas condition doesn't happen. The transmission automatically downshifts enough gears that when you press the gas the car goes without any hesitation/lag.
Agree. But DS uses more gas because it downshifts more. I think Infiniti would be smart enough to make D as economic as possible while still keeping *some* sport characteristics.

Quick Reply: Annoying 7sp transmission.