Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Annoying 7sp transmission.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 09:14 PM
chartster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DocJohn
+1 ... I agree 100%!!!
My biggest complaint is the hesitation in a quick "gas...brake...gas" situation. The car just seems to sit there for 2 seconds before it decides to get up and go. As you said, this has been very scary when I needed to get moving in emergency maneuvering situations. Infiniti needs to develop as fix for this ASAP!
This has now happened to me twice and it just about got me killed today merging onto the highway. This is very annoying!

Love everything else about the car, but this transmission is not solid.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:01 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
Weird no one has chimed in and said 6MT FTW yet lol

The delayed response is not just a 7sp issue though, I've encountered hesitations in the trans too
Old 06-11-2011, 02:35 PM
voltic

6MT FTW! Do you feel complete now, Sam?
Old 06-11-2011, 02:42 PM
voltic

But seriously though, we have our own problems, like 1st to 2nd being a PITA to master smoothly.
Much trial and error with bobbleheads. I mean, passengers.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:17 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
The 4&6MT's I've owned would never shift at all in Auto mode. I always had to go to manual! So, for me, going to DS or M if need be, isn't a big deal . However, I do miss driving the twisties with a MT.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:06 PM
Hellcat716

Had the same problem with my 2010 G 37. Finally got Infiniti to replace my torque converter along with the newest software update and has solved all issues. Smooth as butter.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:39 PM
bingpwr
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Did they find that the torque converter was the problem?
Old 06-12-2011, 01:00 AM
G Force

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Try this: cruise at 40 MPH and floor the throttle. On my car the lag is significant. I think the problem is two-fold.

First, the tranny is trying to rev match and wasting a bunch of time doing it. This is fine when you have time - e.g. slowing for a corner - but when you need a hard downshift right away to merge the lag creates a dangerous situation. You expect power and there's...nothing. Best workaround is to manually downshift beforehand. Nissan should make it so that when you floor it, the rev match is bypassed and it just shoves it into gear and goes - smooth shifting be damned. Even a traditional automatic is faster in this scenario.

Second, the tranny is in too high a gear for most driving situations. Situations that normally wouldn't need a downshift at all are then needing 1 or 2 gears lower. I find that I have to drive in manual mode in rush hour traffic because the car will shift into 6th at ridiculously slow speeds and is doing a constant shifting dance whereas keeping it in 2nd and 3rd works best for crawl to 40 MPH. Having to manually shift in rush hour traffic defeats the whole purpose of having an automatic in the first place - especially a 7-speed auto that is seemingly never in it's powerband.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:07 AM
Hellcat716

It is my understanding that they have redesigned the tourque converter. They only had seven in the country at the time mine was replaced.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:21 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by G Force
Try this: cruise at 40 MPH and floor the throttle. On my car the lag is significant. I think the problem is two-fold.
I tried this and the transmission dropped one or two gears right away. I wasn't in DS either; just regular D mode.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:05 AM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

First, the tranny is trying to rev match and wasting a bunch of time doing it. This is fine when you have time - e.g. slowing for a corner - but when you need a hard downshift right away to merge the lag creates a dangerous situation. You expect power and there's...nothing. Best workaround is to manually downshift beforehand. Nissan should make it so that when you floor it, the rev match is bypassed and it just shoves it into gear and goes - smooth shifting be damned. Even a traditional automatic is faster in this scenario.

Second, the tranny is in too high a gear for most driving situations. Situations that normally wouldn't need a downshift at all are then needing 1 or 2 gears lower. I find that I have to drive in manual mode in rush hour traffic because the car will shift into 6th at ridiculously slow speeds and is doing a constant shifting dance whereas keeping it in 2nd and 3rd works best for crawl to 40 MPH. Having to manually shift in rush hour traffic defeats the whole purpose of having an automatic in the first place - especially a 7-speed auto that is seemingly never in it's powerband.
Man, GFORCE you are Spot On with this freakin 7AT. Ive been posting about this for a year all over this Forum. My Dealer's Service manager - Pepe Infiniti in White Plains, NY - has given some personal attention and has also been contacted by Infiniti of NA to follow up, but with no solutions. I went in the other day to Trade in my 2010 G37X to a CPO 09 M35X - it could be done and would probably cost me $$$ b/c of an early termination of my lease. They didn't have any 09s, so I'm back to Pursuing This Issue To It's END. Reading the posts here seem to indicate that Infiniti is "quietly" talking about a fix with a new TC ???
Old 06-12-2011, 08:09 AM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
I tried this and the transmission dropped one or two gears right away. I wasn't in DS either; just regular D mode.
JohnEnglish, what year G do you have? Did you apply the January issue TSB IT10-075 for the rough downshifts on coasting which was supposedly to be the Fix for the lagging, Which It Is NOT, at least for me.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:41 AM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
I would think that cruising at 40 you're probably in 6th or 7th. When you floor it, it probably dropped to 3rd, so that's a potential 4-gear change.

I drove a rented 2011 6-cylinder Mustang last week and was surprised how responsive the tranny was to load and downshifting needs. In flat ground between 30-40 MPH, it regularly ran at 1100-1200 RPM - very low - but responded quickly to throttle and hills.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:28 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Almatti
JohnEnglish, what year G do you have? Did you apply the January issue TSB IT10-075 for the rough downshifts on coasting which was supposedly to be the Fix for the lagging, Which It Is NOT, at least for me.
I have a 2009 G37 and it was from the first batch to be delivered to North America. I've never had it reflashed and it's been super smooth and responsive from day one.

Originally Posted by TinsleyC
I would think that cruising at 40 you're probably in 6th or 7th. When you floor it, it probably dropped to 3rd, so that's a potential 4-gear change.
Yeah, that sounds about right. I wasn't checking to see what gear it downshifted into.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:50 AM
PeterUbers

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
responsiveness is one of those very very subjective interpretations by each driver..

I find my car responsive enough for my needs, however, I can totally understand that many would be disappointed with how this car drives.

Also, I drove a 2k11 loaner '37x, and found it very sluggish in throttle response compared to my '09.

Who knows.

Quick Reply: Annoying 7sp transmission.