Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

7at... Wtf?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 06:15 PM
areyoojordan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7at... Wtf?!

Since ive bought this car, ive never been happy with how this transmission ran. And now, at cruising speeds my rpms go so low that i can feel my engine shivering/shaking when i accelerate from cruising and theres no torque! It really sounds horrible. It takes forever for it to get in the damn gear i want it to.. And when it engages into gear i feel like the gear slips and rpms rise, but when it actually gets into gear the rpms drop to the "correct" gear. that is the best way to describe the behaviors of my transmission, infiniti did the ecu reprogram for the 7at, and now its running more poorly than it ever has.

I love this car, the looks, the speed, the beast of a VQ thats under the hood, but theres certain things like this that make me want a different car.

Does anyone know what the problem seems to be and a solution? Thanks
Old 06-06-2011, 06:20 PM
Doggy

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
drive in tiptronic lol thats what I do.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:09 PM
areyoojordan

Originally Posted by Doggy
drive in tiptronic lol thats what I do.
yeah thats what i do most of the time, but sometimes i just want the car to shift for me.. haha

its getting to the point where i actually feel like something has gone bad in the tranny and i dont like it
Old 06-06-2011, 07:14 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
look a couple threads below you
Old 06-07-2011, 02:33 AM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
get the 6MT, problem solved
Old 06-07-2011, 02:53 AM
Imua1

7at

Originally Posted by areyoojordan
Since ive bought this car, ive never been happy with how this transmission ran. And now, at cruising speeds my rpms go so low that i can feel my engine shivering/shaking when i accelerate from cruising and theres no torque! It really sounds horrible. It takes forever for it to get in the damn gear i want it to.. And when it engages into gear i feel like the gear slips and rpms rise, but when it actually gets into gear the rpms drop to the "correct" gear. that is the best way to describe the behaviors of my transmission, infiniti did the ecu reprogram for the 7at, and now its running more poorly than it ever has.

I love this car, the looks, the speed, the beast of a VQ thats under the hood, but theres certain things like this that make me want a different car.

Look at the older strings on this web or search 7AT problems...you will see pages of disatisfied owners because of the poor design of this transmission.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:52 AM
gugarci

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The biggest issues I have with this gearbox is that it like to cruise at top gear every time it get's a chance. I'm sure this is done on purpose by Infiniti and other car manufacturers to improve the MPG's.

If you look at the MPG's listed for most cars that are available with an auto and stick with the same engine you will find higher EPA rated MPG's for cars equip with auto gearbox compared to same car with the same engine with a stick.

As far as the other threads are concerned about this auto gearbox I don't have their issues. I have an 09 that has never had it gearbox re-flash.

Also i drove an 08xS for about a year, that car had the 5 speed auto. Thaty car also like to cruise in top gear every chance it got. The biggest difference between the 2 gearboxes is the 5 speed due to having less gear has less gear hunting at slower speed, but the 7 speed gearbox get's better gas millage.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:46 AM
IcebergG

Yeah, definitely search the threads concerning the 7AT. It's these problems that swayed me to the 6MT this time around. It's weird, because the 8AT in my IS-F is smooth as butter with ZERO problems at all and the shifts are lightning quick.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:49 AM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have no complaints at all with the auto.
I have put almost 11,000 miles, almost all highway, on my 2010 with the 7 speed auto. Not once have I had it lag when I punch the throttle, which I have to do quite frequently on the 2 lanes I travel on.
The only time I noticed anything different was the first time I started to do a full throttle pass, on a 2 lane and had to abort because of traffic. The engine rpms stayed elevated for a few seconds after I let off the throttle.
That doesn't bother me, but the first time it lags when I'm trying to pass, it sure as hell will bother me.
The reason I frequent the forums, of the vehicles I own, is to read about problems so I will have a heads up when and if they do occur.
I'm not saying there isn't a problem with the auto, with all the posts complaining about it,, just saying so far I don't have the problem.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:58 AM
droogie
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have to be realistic with your expectations from an automatic transmission. Of course you have no torque in 7th gear, no car does. And of course it cruises in its highest gear. DS mode exists for a reason, if you use it then the transmission is much more lively and has none of these problems. Or you can use your paddles, even from regular mode, for some quick downshifts to pass.

This is the price you pay for the convenience of not having to ride your clutch through rush hour traffic. Just remember that next time you're in a traffic jam
Old 06-07-2011, 11:08 AM
Conn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've rather enjoyed my 7 AT so far. Only put about 1k miles on it so far, though. At times it does feel somewhat "jerky", but to me it adds a sort of sporty feel to it.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:15 AM
gugarci

Something else you can try is using DS mode in city driving. Depending on how your ECU has adjusted to your driving style it should not automatically be in top gear all the time.

I don't like DS because of the engine braking in the HWY. Sometime I just want to slow down without an abrupt downshift. I use D in the city, and use my paddle to downshift if it in top gear when it shouldn't, or use M. I drive in M about 90% of the time in the HWY.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:15 PM
Almatti

Man.......You guys are Late to the Party. Welcome aboard the 7 AT Complaint Train..

It's so frustrating and annoying since everything else about this car is awersome.... I'm hopeful that a "real" FIX is on order, but I'm not really counting on it. It exisited in the 09s , the 10s, the 11s.....
Old 06-07-2011, 01:21 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Eh, I have one of the first 09s off the production line and I've never had any issues with my transmission.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:21 PM
matchan

Originally Posted by areyoojordan

There is a TSB . I think its 10066 or something like that. Search for it here. Have the TSB done and have the dealer reset the 7AT memory (fuzzy logic). That should fix your problem

Quick Reply: 7at... Wtf?!