Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

7at... Wtf?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 08:45 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by saparda
SL65 Black is 5AT compare to other Benz classes.
That's only becuase the 5AT is a stronger unit and can handle more torque than the 7AT.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:16 AM
zoner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maxfinity
Coming from a 5speed auto(06 Maxima) it took me awhile to get used to the transmission. It felt like the car was always switching gears. But after a year and 18,650+ miles of driving the G, I love this transmission. Once you get to know its quirks you learn to work around them.

+1...it really is a decent setup
Old 06-09-2011, 11:30 AM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I wish I could say the same, that after it warms up it gets back "non-quirky" Mode? I find it varies from One Day to the Next.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:41 AM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
It's also about having to keep up w/ the competition, many lux brands now have 8 speed slushies so a 5 AT would seem antiquated by comparison. If I could get my 5AT back from my 07 and mate it to my 09 3.7 liter I'm sure I'd be very happy. I don't even mind the 7AT that much (no reflash either) but I LOVED how the 5AT was always in the right power point at all times. I do like getting 29-30mpg hwy though Seems like the city mpgs is very close to the 5AT however.

^^^^^ Many times +2 - That is IT exactly!!! For those of you posting here that did drive the earlier models (mine was a 07 G35X), blnewt has said it perfectly. I don't gert 29-30 mpg on the highway, maybe 26-27 if I baby it at 60 MPH - with no headwinds....I've gripped enough about this for 1 year.... Dealer told me yesterday after I inquired about Trading in My Lease and buying a CPO 09 M35X ( they didn't have any at this time), that I was the Most Ardent Comlainer of thier customers. They admitted that there are some unhappy 7AT customers, but most really liked it for various reasons including getting better mileage for a powerful V-6 Sports Sedan... Anyway, I have no other avail but to wait for a possible "real " fix of the ECU/TCM remapping software and/or new TC..
Old 06-09-2011, 11:02 PM
G35Rhino

I have a very early '09 model and now have almost 60k mi. Love everything about the car BUT the 7AT. I loved it before the first reflash and its been crap sinc and supposedly doesn't fall in the range for the newest flash (which hasn't seemed to help). My next car was going to be an M but I just don't know anymore. The 7AT may be a deal breaker. Keep the mileage and strap the old 5AT from my old '05 G to it and I'm a buyer again. Otherwise I'll be buying something else.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:07 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 177 Likes on 116 Posts
++1

You can literally spend an entire day reading hundred of pages in multiple threads about the 7AT issues. I had the erratic behavior in mine (a 2010 Sedan) and got the re-flash and it's much more livable. Unfortunately, it's just not going to perform like a DSG transmission. Hopefully, they will move over to a DSG in the next iteration of the G.

Originally Posted by Almatti
Man.......You guys are Late to the Party. Welcome aboard the 7 AT Complaint Train..

It's so frustrating and annoying since everything else about this car is awersome.... I'm hopeful that a "real" FIX is on order, but I'm not really counting on it. It exisited in the 09s , the 10s, the 11s.....
Old 06-11-2011, 08:07 AM
Danny Boy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have no problem with my 7AT. It is smooth and responsive in the city and on the highway.

The only distinction it has against other AT is that it downshifts at low speed (e.g. when slowing down to a red right with your foot off the gas peddle). The AT is doing the downshift in anticipation of a faster acceleration when the light turns green (smile). If you don’t like the downshift just keep your foot on the gas paddle lightly.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:32 AM
Imua1

Originally Posted by gimpy
I have to agree with you John, my 09 G37sX with 7 spd. has been very enjoyable to drive and has shifted without incident. As you said, you are more likely to hear from people unhappy with the operation of the trans then those who are satisfied with it. Just the way it is.
Sorry have to disagree...if you search the threads on this site you will see enormous amounts of complaints about the 7AT. Lucky those that do not have problems, but the volume of complaints spells transmission design problem. Infiniti needs to step up to the plate with a fix. This is too nice a car to be marred with quirky auto trans.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:10 AM
LexiG37

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I can live with quirkiness, I just hope it proves durable. Anybody on here with HIGH miles on their 7AT?
Old 06-18-2011, 02:17 AM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
50000 KM and I am Super charged. 20000 km on this trans though
Old 06-18-2011, 07:21 AM
Mudgen
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Imua1
Sorry have to disagree...if you search the threads on this site you will see enormous amounts of complaints about the 7AT. Lucky those that do not have problems, but the volume of complaints spells transmission design problem. Infiniti needs to step up to the plate with a fix. This is too nice a car to be marred with quirky auto trans.
I have to agree with Gimpy. What he said (echoing John) is a universal truth of public forums: you're more likely to hear from those who don't like something than from those who do. That doesn't mean that the people who don't like whatever it is are wrong, but that one should not simply assume that they are the majority because they post more.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:36 AM
zoner

Ok, one vote for no problems.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:51 AM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
I like my 7AT too. Sure beats that crapbox I had on the 2004 Maxima!

As an aside... every now and then I drive my mom's 2010 M35x with the 5AT... that car just seems so sluggish to me. Granted, I have a few mods... but I'm just talking about the shifting, not the actual speed of the car. Shrug.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:46 PM
cvroom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by saparda
paaah screw the extra gears! Infiniti should've kept the 5AT since this is a sport car!.

SL65 Black is 5AT compare to other Benz classes.
reviews bashed the idea of having so many gears in sports cars (ex. IS-F top gear review)

i wouldn't complain if the shifting speed was fast like other cars (200ms only!>>GTR) but unfortunately, shifting speed in the G is really slow to put 7AT.
do u know the stats on how fast the 7at upshifts say from 1 to 2? Seems to me it shifts quick. Some complain its to aggresive in that respect
Old 06-18-2011, 02:06 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Mudgen
I have to agree with Gimpy. What he said (echoing John) is a universal truth of public forums: you're more likely to hear from those who don't like something than from those who do. That doesn't mean that the people who don't like whatever it is are wrong, but that one should not simply assume that they are the majority because they post more.
But ask those who can compare the 5AT from 2008 to the 7AT from 2009+. I test drove a 2008 for two days and loved it, but when I went in to buy it, and saw a 2009 sitting there that I had to have. Drove it around the block which was not enough to notice the difference... and bought it (see sig). Later I realized the difference.

My point is that there is a major difference between the two, and if I could drop a new 2008 tranny in my 2009, I would. Not that I would rather have a 2008...

Quick Reply: 7at... Wtf?!