Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 gearbox issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 08:11 AM
alhayem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G37 gearbox issue

Hi
It's my first a thread her
I have a question about the G37 gearbox
I heard that's the gearbox of the g37 sedan has issues!!!
Is that true ??
Because one of my friends wants to buy g37 sedan
And he needs answer

I'm wating your answers

Old 05-31-2011, 08:19 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A few people feel that the shifting of the 7AT isn't as smooth as it could be. I've never had any issues with it.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:35 AM
alhayem

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
A few people feel that the shifting of the 7AT isn't as smooth as it could be. I've never had any issues with it.

Thanks a lot
Old 05-31-2011, 11:05 AM
alhayem

40 views and one reply ??
pleas I need more answers>>
Old 05-31-2011, 11:42 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
It's not really an issue, more of a preference and inconvenience. It's not the smoothest shifting tranny and having 7 gears means a lot of gear hunting and shifting in traffic. It feels jerky and rough sometimes, but it's how the gearbox is designed, so it's not an issue.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:43 AM
zoner

Originally Posted by alhayem
Thanks a lot
Ditto. No concerns. I would be more concerned about poor paint. It chips very easily.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:44 AM
zoner

Originally Posted by sniper27
It's not really an issue, more of a preference and inconvenience. It's not the smoothest shifting tranny and having 7 gears means a lot of gear hunting and shifting in traffic. It feels jerky and rough sometimes, but it's how the gearbox is designed, so it's not an issue.
Ditto. No concerns. I would be more concerned about poor paint. It chips very easily.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:49 AM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I've put almost 11,000 miles on mine with no complaints about the 7 speed auto or anything else.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:54 AM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I have a 6mt but ive driven a lot of 7 speed autos and I think its one of the better autos on the market.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:55 AM
jorwick

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts
Same here no problems. What are you comparing it too because that makes a big difference? After having a g for 6 months now and getting back in a 5 series I felt that auto tranny was more jerky than ours is.

My personal feeling is that with any auto the more agressive you drive the harder it is to keep up with you but you can control that somewhat with the paddle shifters.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:55 AM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by alhayem
Hi

It's my first a thread her
I have a question about the G37 gearbox
I heard that's the gearbox of the g37 sedan has issues!!!
Is that true ??
Because one of my friends wants to buy g37 sedan
And he needs answer

I'm wating your answers

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
I beg to differ with JohnEnglish comments, "a few people feel the shifting of the 7AT isn't as smooth as it could be".... if you search this Forum - there are few threads about the Tranny with thousands of posts by many many members including me. To say the least, the 7AT is quirky, acn be jerky & I feel far too much Hesitation when cruising at lower speeds, hitting the brakes, then stepping on the gas out of turns in local traffic, in stop and go traffic on the highway......Read the Posts on the Threads.

It DOES Differ almost Daily in the performance IMO.... The best advice to offer to your friend buying or looking to acquire the G37 or for that matter, the M37 (check their forum, many similar complaints there too!!), is to take the car out for a good long test drive - for the day if you can, drive in local & highway scenarios. Stop and go from stops, etc....
My test drive was too short, which didn't reveal the quirkiness of the new 7AT, but I had a 2007 G35X WHICH I SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT and the end of my lease term in June 2010.......man, what a mistake. The 07 G35X was the Best Car I Ever Had over 40 years of driving many different cars.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:03 AM
TitiLashae

Tell your friend not to get a G37. I have a 2011 G37xs and transmission issues. I can't believe people are saying it's just preference or inconvenience. This is a SAFETY ISSUE. If your car lags for a second and a half in the middle of an intersection when you are trying to turn left...it can be the difference in a simple turn or a horrific accident. I had a 2008 G35x and LOVED it...best car ever. I got a good offer from Infiniti and unfortunately for me, I took it. Traded in my G35 for this POS. I've tried to solve this problem 3 times with the dealership and now qualify for VA's lemon law...Infiniti Consumer Affairs is supposedly trying to solve it, but I'm getting a lawyer now, while they are taking their sweet time. If I die in an accident because my car decides to lag, at least my family will be able to sue Infiniti.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:09 AM
KLB

Originally Posted by TitiLashae
Tell your friend not to get a G37. I have a 2011 G37xs and transmission issues. I can't believe people are saying it's just preference or inconvenience. This is a SAFETY ISSUE. If your car lags for a second and a half in the middle of an intersection when you are trying to turn left...it can be the difference in a simple turn or a horrific accident. I had a 2008 G35x and LOVED it...best car ever. I got a good offer from Infiniti and unfortunately for me, I took it. Traded in my G35 for this POS. I've tried to solve this problem 3 times with the dealership and now qualify for VA's lemon law...Infiniti Consumer Affairs is supposedly trying to solve it, but I'm getting a lawyer now, while they are taking their sweet time. If I die in an accident because my car decides to lag, at least my family will be able to sue Infiniti.
Maybe it is because our cars don't do that.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:14 AM
equetefue

currently my G37 Sedan is at the shop to fix hail damage and have been driving a Merc c300 as replacement, and I can tell you that there is a definetely an issue with the way the tranny shifts and lags at time. The 7 speed in the merc is a buttery smooth and now makes the G feel jerky.

I also have to keep in mind that the gears in the g are that much more agressive and that might the reason.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:26 AM
gugarci

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TitiLashae
I feel your pain, but I've never experience this issue. And I have never had any of the transmission re-flashes on my car.

The biggest issue I have with this gearbox is the abrupt down-shift when coming to a stop but I've got used to it. And the fact that this gearbox is always on too high of a gear for my taste when cruising around town.

I drove an 08 G35xS for about 1 year. Yes it had a little less gear hunting, and the downshift to a stop was a little smoother, not by much though. But I would rather have this gearbox for the better gas millage.

Problem with these transmissions is the amount of gears. There's really no need for more than 6 gears on a car. 7th gear on the G should of been a HWY use only over-drive gear for even better millage.

Quick Reply: G37 gearbox issue