Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Looking for the best/popular intake and exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 11:22 PM
Fresh Mobile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dednock
Stillen Gen III and ARK GRIP Exhaust.
+1 ^^^
Old 05-31-2011, 11:38 PM
RYs06MT

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
Stillen Gen3 and ARK, best pairing for the G there is.

Also, (and let me be clear that I am not trying to start another stupid "top secret is the best" argument) but just b/c it's absurdly expensive and from JDM/TS doesn't make it absolutely superior to everything else.

Don't drink the kool aid, it may be well made but absolutely in no way worth the money...it's not that much better (if it's even better at all, which it's not IMO) than the others that have been mentioned here
I don't have it, nor would I pay that amount, but go research the technology, materials, craftsmanship and weight of their exhaust before you go comparing it to ARK, that's just silly.... No more needs to be said on that.

Specs on Top Secret's titanium remote exhaust.

Top Secret has designed an exhaust that acts as two different exhausts in one. There is a 80mm main pipe which splits into twin 70mm pipes. One route is a full straight exhaust with no muffler whatsoever. Another route is through a conventional full titanium muffler for moderate noise suppression. The beauty of this system is that it comes with a remote control so that while inside the car you can decide each day if you want a racing exhaust or a street exhaust on your commute to work.

Last edited by RYs06MT; 05-31-2011 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:06 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Stillen Gen3 and ARK, best pairing for the G there is.

Also, (and let me be clear that I am not trying to start another stupid "top secret is the best" argument) but just b/c it's absurdly expensive and from JDM/TS doesn't make it absolutely superior to everything else.

Don't drink the kool aid, it may be well made but absolutely in no way worth the money...it's not that much better (if it's even better at all, which it's not IMO) than the others that have been mentioned here
Originally Posted by RYs06MT
I don't have it, nor would I pay that amount, but go research the technology, materials, craftsmanship and weight of their exhaust before you go comparing it to ARK, that's just silly.... No more needs to be said on that.

Specs on Top Secret's titanium remote exhaust.

Top Secret has designed an exhaust that acts as two different exhausts in one. There is a 80mm main pipe which splits into twin 70mm pipes. One route is a full straight exhaust with no muffler whatsoever. Another route is through a conventional full titanium muffler for moderate noise suppression. The beauty of this system is that it comes with a remote control so that while inside the car you can decide each day if you want a racing exhaust or a street exhaust on your commute to work.

I noted the possibility that it may in fact have superior "technology, materials, blah blah blah". I also said it's not worth the extra $. The only point I was trying to make was that the difference in price is no where near made up by difference in everything you talked about. Wasn't talking specifically about ARK, in fact I never even mentioned it in respect to the TS exhaust. I just said the "others that have been mentioned."

Paying 10x's the price for 1-2% better in the absolute very best most optimistic situation...that is so so silly. Especially when many of the others are already high quality/craftsmanship/materials/etc.

my last comment on the matter...OP hopefully you at least get some good ideas of what you are looking for from everyone's input. GL finding what will suit your needs best!
Old 06-01-2011, 12:20 AM
WPPJR30

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
My $.02

No offense, OP... But this thread is, for lack of a better term, pointless. You are going to get a bunch of different opinions, many of them people just relaying the exact parts they happen to have on their car. As I have said before, NO ONE on this forum can say one part is better than another until they have experienced ALL of them, and every single combination of them, as all parts interact differently.

First of all, you need to define "best." What is appealing to one person may not appeal to another. Additionally, worth is only determined by you, the owner, not someone on a forum who has different perspective and circumstance. Everyone has an opinion. Consider from where these opinions come before accepting them.

Additionally, if I said Part ABC is the worst, the people who have that part would be all over me and want to know from where my opinion comes. However, no one seems to have an issue when a part is labeled 'the best' and no one asks what the basis is for that opinion. I take issue with that...

I can tell you there are a lot of ARK fans on this forum... ARK happens to be a forum sponsor. It is what it is. I am in no position to say that ARK is the worst exhaust for the G, just as I cannot say it is the best. Take everything you read here with a grain of salt...

If performance is the basis that you measure what is the best, well, you may be in for a disappointment because neither an exhaust or an intake will yield substantial horsepower gains.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:22 AM
RYs06MT

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
^ your right boss, I don't agree with the price but I just stated it's the best due to all of the features it has. I wouldn't buy it personally. I do not think everything is better because it's JDM, my mustangs all had US parts. And I own two non JDM cars. I was just trying to help the OP with what is best in my opinion in certain price ranges, I advised Tanabe and HKS as well
Old 06-01-2011, 05:04 AM
masterdukill
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anybody have any opinion on the Still Gen3 Intake + Stillen cat back exhaust system?
Old 06-01-2011, 07:33 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Originally Posted by WPPJR30
If performance is the basis that you measure what is the best, well, you may be in for a disappointment because neither an exhaust or an intake will yield substantial horsepower gains.
this. The intake and exhaust is 90% for looks/sound. Don't get hung up on HP claims.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:37 AM
Gee37S

Originally Posted by Dj farhan
r2c and invidia!
Old 06-01-2011, 08:39 AM
Gee37S

this. The intake and exhaust is 90% for looks/sound. Don't get hung up on HP claims.
Every time I race other G37s that are stock I'd always pull away with my mods. This is from a stop, a roll or highway speeds... And I'm not talking inches, the spread is over a cars length once we reach highway speeds+.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:56 AM
4drScreamer

Originally Posted by masterdukill
Anybody have any opinion on the Still Gen3 Intake + Stillen cat back exhaust system?
It's what I have at the moment and I am very pleased with the setup. The Stillen Gen 3 are fantastic. No issues with them in dry or rain. No shields, no cutting, just a little foam tape underneath one of them and cha-ching great results. Stillen cat backs team up with their CAI beautifully. Some here would rather go with Fast Intentions or Ark or Invidia, but I stuck with a setup that was designed to be run together. I suppose if I had a second shot at a setup it would be with custom GTM for both. Just saying that if they are both designed together to work at peak performance then they would be an awesome package.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:42 AM
blueninjabron

I am also looking for a CAI but don't want to do any cutting so I think the Stillen is out of the questions. I really like that new one that only has one filter that joins behind the grill but I will wait for the reveiws to come out. I did however just put on the Stillen Cat Back and I love it. It is quiet when I want it to be and also screams when I push the car. One question, if I put a CAI on the car, will it change the tone or volume of my Stillen?

Thanks.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:44 AM
DjFromVA

ARK seems like a good bet to me IMO
Old 06-01-2011, 02:38 PM
ipitythefoo
Banned

IMO if you want the hks look, get the real deal: hks.

Readytobeflamedbyarkfanboys
Old 06-01-2011, 02:43 PM
ipitythefoo
Banned

And plus I vote invidia. Some people don't like it because it's quiet, but I have test pipes and it's plenty loud.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:58 PM
purplelittlegg

I understand there is no "the best", the reason i open this post is want to know everyone's idea on any combination on intakes and exhausts. Of coz price is a main factor on after market parts, but i think there should have some exception. like r2c and ark grip are not the most expensive intake and exhaust on the market, but they do work well on Gs!! just my .02

Quick Reply: Looking for the best/popular intake and exhaust