Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Got my NST pulley's today

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 07:47 PM
Steveo47

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Got my NST pulley's today

I ordered red, but i got grey. Whatever noone sees them anyways. They feel super light, gonna have to feel it right beside the oem crank pulley. Going to attempt instal this sunday. Any last minute tips?

Oh and they gave me a small bag of M&M's lol
Old 05-26-2011, 07:50 PM
_ant_

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
very cool man. sorry for the newb question but what do these do, give faster revs?
Old 05-26-2011, 07:52 PM
Steveo47

They reduce unsprung weight, basically freeing up power your car already has, it doesnt give more like a intake would. People on the 370z forums say they get a bit better gas milage, quick revs, and dyno about 10hp. So not bad for ~250 bucks
Old 05-26-2011, 10:54 PM
Fezzik

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts
you need to put that on a scale and take a pic
then put the OEM on a scale and take a pic for comparison. not too many people have done this mod and that would be a good comparison. Be sure to use the same scale.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:27 PM
Steveo47

^^ sure ill give it a shot. Likley installing sunday, ill keep everyone posted.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:39 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
You're installing these yourself? Good luck.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:18 AM
tWistedMissiOn
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Will this benefit the G? Because i thought i read somewhere on the forum before about pulleys, and some thread said that this is not very compatible with the G and that it will not benefit the G or something like that. Anyone who remember that thread, can someone confirm this? you remember BB?
Old 05-27-2011, 10:35 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Lots of folks have stated their OPONION that this mod won't really help. Unless they've tried it, all it is is an opinion. I personally don't know how much benefit it will give. Probably only a little like most bolt on mods for this car, but it would be great to hear from someone who actually has them. I've had a set sitting in my garage for some time now. I got them as a prize and never got around to installing them.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:06 AM
CaptainObvious
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steveo47
They reduce unsprung weight, basically freeing up power your car already has, it doesnt give more like a intake would. People on the 370z forums say they get a bit better gas milage, quick revs, and dyno about 10hp. So not bad for ~250 bucks
Not true:
"unsprung" weight are things not adding weight to the suspension springs on your car like brakes, wheels, calipers, tires, axles etc... rather than supported by the suspension which includes everything else.
Hopefully this makes sense to you.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:48 PM
Steveo47

^^ my bad, i think i ment rotational, it has a similar effect to getting light weight rims correct?
Old 05-28-2011, 05:27 AM
tWistedMissiOn
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Lots of folks have stated their OPONION that this mod won't really help. Unless they've tried it, all it is is an opinion. I personally don't know how much benefit it will give. Probably only a little like most bolt on mods for this car, but it would be great to hear from someone who actually has them. I've had a set sitting in my garage for some time now. I got them as a prize and never got around to installing them.

Thanks for chiming in man. And lol, you have so many awesome stuff sitting in your garage man! you should install all of those and your rides gonna be sick! And yea, i guess its best to hear from someone who has installed them. So do it OP! and let us know how great this mod really is, i'm real curious about this too.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:28 PM
Steveo47

OKAY UPDATE. I went for the install today. Just so everyone knows i didnt finish the install.

Now, you think the hardest part would be taking off the stock crank bolt? nope that was the easiest. I did the method everyone used with the G35, put a torque wrench on the ground, and crank the engine a few times, came loose on my second try. I had my friend start the car and i would pull the battery before the engine turned over.

Now i got the pulley off, took all of 15 minutes (including splash shield removal). the problem was the NST pulley didnt even fit! WTF? i read about some of the 370 guys doing a bit of sanding to make it fit, well **** i sanded it for 3 hours, and i could get it in 3/4 of the way, and that was it. Here is what i think the problem is:

The oem has that dip in the silver part, where is slopes in towards the crank, where the nst doesnt. I could only get the NST silver collar in 3/4 of the way, i tried sanding the collar a bit, i almost sanded all the anonizing on the inside of the pulley away, it just wouldnt sit all the way down. Any advice?
Old 05-31-2011, 04:53 AM
tWistedMissiOn
Registered Member

Wow, didn't think it would be that hard to install... no wonder nobody did that. Maybe you can take the pully to somewhere you can get the silver part to be sanded to slope like the OEM. Is that the only thing though? Good luck with the install man.

edit: After looking at it for a second time, it seems like the neck (black part below the silver part) seems to be higher than OEM too man. You might have to custom it to fit, and not just sand the silver part i think.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:29 AM
Legz
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Have the stillen under drive pulley, fits perfectly, something for you to consider.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:18 PM
dfw0837

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, wheels would be unsprung weight, I don't think a lighter wheel would show any increase in power, but possibly could effect acceleration?

A lighter pulley or flywheel would be less rotational mass. The idea is your engine doesn't work as hard to spin it's rotating assembly. You can also use lightened rods, pistons etc. Typically you'd want this in an engine that makes it's power at high rpms - so you can get into that rpm range more quickly. A side effect can also be a few extra ponies.

Originally Posted by Steveo47
^^ my bad, i think i ment rotational, it has a similar effect to getting light weight rims correct?