Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Normal to grind into second near redline, or did the prev owner bork my tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 02:23 PM
BagFalls

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gee37S
Just left the dealership. Test drove it with the tech and he thinks it might be related to the short shifter. I'm going to remove it and see if it resolves the problem. If it doesnt, they'll then order the new parts.
Sounds pretty promising.. I'll believe it 100% when they give you a new tranny or rebuild your existing one...
Old 05-04-2011, 02:41 PM
Gee37S

lol I'll probably get it off the car this weekend. As soon as it grinds again I'll give them a call to schedule an apt! I'll let you guys know what happens.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:26 PM
1NEETO

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Synchros work the hardest at high rpm's. If it grinds ejem shifting fast at high rpm's then you can be certain that synchro is wearing out.

As for the noise. Does the noise happens when you press the clutch pedal or when the pedal is released?
Old 05-04-2011, 05:36 PM
BagFalls

Originally Posted by 1NEETO
Synchros work the hardest at high rpm's. If it grinds ejem shifting fast at high rpm's then you can be certain that synchro is wearing out.

As for the noise. Does the noise happens when you press the clutch pedal or when the pedal is released?

It happens on release during that little bit of slip while you are letting the clutch out. It happens in all gears

Last edited by BagFalls; 05-04-2011 at 05:44 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:32 AM
Gee37S

Noise for me happens when the clutch is fully pressed against the floor and I'm putting the shifter into 2nd gear. There is a resistance as I try to put the shifter into 2nd accompanied by an obvious and audible grind.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:14 AM
1NEETO

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wish could hear the noise. But rule if thumb is that if there's a noise when the clutch pedal is pressed that means the TOB is going bad. If the noise comes when you release the pedal then it's the input shaft bearing. Anywhere in between could be anything from the flywheel, pressure plate or disc.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:13 PM
BagFalls

Originally Posted by 1NEETO
Wish could hear the noise. But rule if thumb is that if there's a noise when the clutch pedal is pressed that means the TOB is going bad. If the noise comes when you release the pedal then it's the input shaft bearing. Anywhere in between could be anything from the flywheel, pressure plate or disc.
Thank you. This was informative. I knew TOB was normally noise on the press in, but I didnt know it was the input shaft for release.

Noise for me happens when the clutch is fully pressed against the floor and I'm putting the shifter into 2nd gear. There is a resistance as I try to put the shifter into 2nd accompanied by an obvious and audible grind.
Same here, man. 1NEETO was discussing my other transmission issue with me. One is the 2nd gear synchro. The other is an input shaft noise in every gear on engagement.

Fingers crossed my dealer is feeling generous on monday.

Last edited by BagFalls; 05-05-2011 at 01:31 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:53 AM
BagFalls

In case you were curious, I was at the dealer yesterday, and the service manager couldn't replicate the synchro issue. I was afraid to tell him I really have to push the car hard to get it to grind (didnt want him to cry abuse)... guess I'll live with it for now and slow down my shifts a little bit.

They found out the clutch had been swapped by the previous owner at 21000, so I'm just waiting for them to void my powertrain (or just tranny) warranty.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:22 AM
Gee37S

Oh damn that sucks. My car was acting like a freak yesterday, going into semi-limp mode but with no check engine light... don't know if it's related. Also had an issue last summer where my car would rev all alone lol. This thing is getting kind of scary now. I've got both those incidents on tape I'll post them when I get home.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:26 AM
breftayka

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BagFalls
In case you were curious, I was at the dealer yesterday, and the service manager couldn't replicate the synchro issue. I was afraid to tell him I really have to push the car hard to get it to grind (didnt want him to cry abuse)... guess I'll live with it for now and slow down my shifts a little bit.

They found out the clutch had been swapped by the previous owner at 21000, so I'm just waiting for them to void my powertrain (or just tranny) warranty.
Why would replacing the clutch void warranty? The clutch is a "wear" item. They don't void your engine warranty for replacing oil, or the brakes for replacing the pads.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:32 AM
BagFalls

Originally Posted by breftayka
Why would replacing the clutch void warranty? The clutch is a "wear" item. They don't void your engine warranty for replacing oil, or the brakes for replacing the pads.

Very valid points. I'll definitely bring those up should the situation arise. I'm expecting a call today regarding my other issues, but for now they are leaving the tranny alone because the noises it makes are "normal." I might record them and get a second opinion from the forums.