Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

VQ37VHR Harmonic Balance

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 02:02 AM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
VQ37VHR Harmonic Balance

I apologize if this topic has been covered before. Creating a thread to see if anyone can tell me how balancing works in our particular engines. I understand (vaguely) how harmonic balancing works in a general sense, but I'd love some insight into whether or not this is true for our VQHR motors.

Being internally balanced means... for pulleys, correct? I know most view pulleys as being a waste of money, but from personal experience, I feel that it really does help (revs quicker); could be in my head, but either way...me likey! Thoughts? Is there a threshold to how much the computer can tweak balancing the engine? Quite a few Z's seem to running pulleys...no issues? Thanks in advance!

Can balancing being off throw off a transmission? Coincidentally, on my previous car (2005 Acura TL, fully bolted) the transmission went out following a UR OE size, light weight pulley install. Then again, car was driven rather aggressively (motor mounts putting more stress on the transmission probably didn't help either). Ttthhhaaannnkkksss
Old 04-15-2011, 03:38 AM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
balancing is for the crankshaft.

Pullys... well, aftermarket ones tend to be weaker.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:33 AM
eksigned

oh -__- so that means...our engines don't have any sort of balancing mechanism? LOL aaahhahahahhhhhhhhhh
Old 04-15-2011, 12:38 PM
roots4x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All V6 engines have counterweights since the only commonly used engine configurations that are perfectly balanced are I6 and V12. Pulleys don't deal with engine balance and are used to increase power, right?
Old 04-15-2011, 12:59 PM
Mike

Using pulleys to "increase power put to the wheels" is like using lighter wheels to "increase power put to the wheels". The change in rotating mass is minimal.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:34 PM
roots4x

Originally Posted by Mike
Using pulleys to "increase power put to the wheels" is like using lighter wheels to "increase power put to the wheels". The change in rotating mass is minimal.
Yeah, I'd have to admit that I didn't even know about using pulleys, but from what I've been reading, it increases power by decreasing the rotational speed going to the A/C compressor and the alternator and such. This is supposed to allow the engine to spin more freely and deliver more power to the wheels. I don't think it has anything to do with the fact that it's lighter. Again, this is just from some quick research I just did.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:10 PM
Mike

The AC already disconnects automatically when you're WOT on the G....

If you wanted maximum power, you can just route around non-essential components like the AC, but thats what the disconnect does for you...
Old 04-15-2011, 02:49 PM
eksigned

so adding pulleys really has nothing to do with any sort balancing scheme in the engine? what part's the counter balance?
Old 04-15-2011, 02:57 PM
roots4x

Originally Posted by Mike
The AC already disconnects automatically when you're WOT on the G....

If you wanted maximum power, you can just route around non-essential components like the AC, but thats what the disconnect does for you...
Yeah I'm inclined to agree with you that pulleys would probably add zero real gain to power. And it probably isn't a good idea to reduce speed to your alternator.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:04 PM
Mike

Originally Posted by eksigned
so adding pulleys really has nothing to do with any sort balancing scheme in the engine? what part's the counter balance?

Obviously not a 6 cylinder, but the basic concepts are the same.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:24 PM
AZg37
Premier Member

Received 46 Likes on 6 Posts
Get the stock diameter pulley. It shaves about 7.5lbs off of the stock crank pulley, but keeps the diameter the same so your accessories are not altered or under-driven. It does not throw off the balancing of our engines. Do a search on here for either stillen pulley or unorthodox pulley, they are actually the same. This topic has been debated, explained, and dynoed before.
UR states :
"100% of the power gains from the stock diameter pulleys comes only from weight reduction versus the factory crank pulley. The reduced weight allows for more power transfer to the drive wheels. Weight reduction is how we are able to increase Horsepower. Each pound of weight removed from the crankshaft is worth approximately 2.7HP and the gains jump even more dramatically with forced induction, nitrous and variable valve timing."

So basically, it's my understanding that the pulley does nothing to add HP, but what it does do is remove weight from the crank pulley making it easier to spin. The lighter crank pulley allows for the extra HP that it usually takes to spin the heavy oem pulley to flow down the driveline to the wheels. It basically makes it more efficient.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:32 PM
AZg37
Premier Member

Originally Posted by eksigned
Don't get confused with older engines that are externally balanced, or use a harmonic balancer, our engines are internally balanced, and are not effected by new pulleys.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:36 PM
AZg37
Premier Member

Originally Posted by roots4x
Yeah I'm inclined to agree with you that pulleys would probably add zero real gain to power. And it probably isn't a good idea to reduce speed to your alternator.
with stock diameter lightweight pulleys the alternator is not effected. There are different opinions on HP gains vs. efficiency claims. I personally had the UR crank on my 2008 coupe and felt like the engine rev'd quicker with the lighter pulley. I saw a small increase in HP on my dyno after the install, like 4-5 hp, but was not certain if it was the pulley itself, or the fact my car was still breaking in and the fact my baseline dyno was performed weeks earlier than with the pulley.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:47 PM
Steveo47

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
^^ ive been interested in lightweight pullies for a while, do we have an type of DIY? I heard its not the easiest thing to do
Old 04-17-2011, 08:58 PM
AZg37
Premier Member

It's not that easy. When I had mine installed the shop said it was a PITA. I don't think anyone has done an install themselves but you can try searching on here.

Quick Reply: VQ37VHR Harmonic Balance