Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

No gear number shown when initial shift to DS

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 05:59 PM
bresbones

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No gear number shown when initial shift to DS

How come when you shift from automatic to sport mode, it doesn't show what gear you're in, but rather just says DS. It'll show once you shift up or down, but shouldn't you know what you're in immediately upon shifting? Weird!
Old 04-04-2011, 06:10 PM
bitNine

Not to sound like a broken record, but if you were to read your manual, it clearly explains this.

DS is Drive Sport, not manual mode. Manual mode is NOT sport mode. Essentially, there are 3 different modes... D, DS, and M. Moving the stick over to DS does not put the car in manual mode.

Again, if you read your manual, you'll learn a lot more than what I could ever spew out in a few minutes.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:12 PM
tristan1334

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bresbones
How come when you shift from automatic to sport mode, it doesn't show what gear you're in, but rather just says DS. It'll show once you shift up or down, but shouldn't you know what you're in immediately upon shifting? Weird!
It will go to DS (sport mode) first then once you shift it'll go to manual mode. You can hit the paddles and it will be on manual for a bit of time. Then it goes back to D.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:48 PM
bresbones

so if i switch over to DS and then do nothing, will the car automatically shift gears on its own as I drive? I assume this "sport mode" is just a sort of a more aggressive ride? Obviously, when I then shift up/down, it goes to manual, right?
Old 04-04-2011, 08:58 PM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
D - transmission computer will select the gear that results in the best compromise between power and fuel economy, biased toward fuel economy.

DS - transmission computer will select the gear that results in the fastest acceleration, with a slight reduction in fuel economy. I'm not sure if it quickens the shifts or not.

M (manual) - you can select and hold any gear you like, as long as your gear selection won't lug or overrev the engine. When you come to a stop, it automatically downshifts back for you