Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Help Test Pipe / HFC Install!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 12:06 PM
OMG35S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Test Pipe / HFC Install!

It was finally nice out to install my RTP's. I soaked the bolts in PB Blaster.

Everything is on tight and I had to use a breaker bar for almost every bolt. Had to go to sears and buy a few extensions and adapters.

I removed everything besides the top 3 bolts on each cat next to the manifold.

I started with the passenger side and one bolt was particularly easy to get off with about 10" extensions and a breaker bar. Then I decided it was time for then infamous top bolt. It wouldn't budge but that's because I couldn't hold the extensions in place while I tried to turn the breaker bar. I might have slightly stripped the bolt. I didn't want to strip the bolt so I went back under the car and tried getting the third bolt. It was nearly impossible to find a way to unbolt it with my 1/2 drive! I used two extensions plus a swivel joint but the angle was not good.

How did you guys manage to take this 3rd bolt off on the passenger side?

I didn't get a chance to attempt the Drivers side because it was getting dark. Some have said the steering column gets in the way of removing a bolt!

I've searched myg37, my350z, the370z, g35driver, and g35nyc and I haven't found a DIY or any detailed information on how to remove the bolt. I've watched the video but they did not get into details.

Any help or feedback would be appreciated. It should be a much faster process now that I already removed everything besides the top three bolts!

Thanks!
Old 04-04-2011, 12:08 PM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
thats why i had a shop do mine he did it in about an hour....
Old 04-04-2011, 12:11 PM
Steveo47

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The steering column gets in the way if you use a deep socket. Soak it with pd blaster again. Leave it for a bit. Hit the bolt with a hammer or something a few times. Spray is again and then try again. I got it with 2 10" extensions and a 2 foot torque wrench. I pushed forward on the wrench to keep on the bolt. And my friend pushed it to the side. Came out no problem. It took me two tries. The first time I gave up and the secod time I got it. Pm if you got any more questions
Old 04-04-2011, 12:15 PM
breftayka

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
I also tried this on the weekend. I got all the bolts apart from the drivers side top bolt. Broke two swivel sockets trying to get it. The steering certainly gets in the way. You need two people for each of the top bolts. One under the vehicle lining the socket with the bolt and one going through the hood. The passenger side I didn't need a swivel. Just used several extensions, 14mm socket, 1/2" breaker bar + cheater bar. It came loose with a bit of force, but the driver side was too much. Taking it to a shop today and seeing if they can get it.

Originally Posted by Steveo47
The steering column gets in the way if you use a deep socket. Soak it with pd blaster again. Leave it for a bit. Hit the bolt with a hammer or something a few times. Spray is again and then try again. I got it with 2 10" extensions and a 2 foot torque wrench. I pushed forward on the wrench to keep on the bolt. And my friend pushed it to the side. Came out no problem. It took me two tries. The first time I gave up and the secod time I got it. Pm if you got any more questions

I tried a shallow socket and it wouldn't go on without a universal. How did you get a hammer in there? I managed to get a wrench on, going underneath, and added leverage with another wrench but it still didn't budge. My arm is tore up though from attempting this.

Last edited by breftayka; 04-04-2011 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:18 PM
OMG35S

Next time I'm going to have a friend with me so we can take on the top bolt. I might even just try to loosen them up before I do anything else. Removing the intakes takes 5 minutes and then I can take on the top two bolts and lightly tighten them back up.

What's the trick with the steering column? Any extensions needed? 1/2" ratchet with a regular sized 14mm socket?

How did you manage to get that third bolt off on the passenger side. #1 bolt is simple just using about 10" extensions straight down. #2 bolt is the famous top bolt which can be taken off with extensions and two friends. #3 bolt is a PITA. I tried numerous extensions and joint swivel and I couldn't get a good angle on this. How did you manage on this bolt?

Thanks for the quick responses! Keep them coming!
Old 04-04-2011, 12:28 PM
OMG35S

Originally Posted by breftayka
I also tried this on the weekend. I got all the bolts apart from the drivers side top bolt. Broke two swivel sockets trying to get it. The steering certainly gets in the way. You need two people for each of the top bolts. One under the vehicle lining the socket with the bolt and one going through the hood. The passenger side I didn't need a swivel. Just used several extensions, 14mm socket, 1/2" breaker bar + cheater bar. It came loose with a bit of force, but the driver side was too much. Taking it to a shop today and seeing if they can get it.

I tried a shallow socket and it wouldn't go on without a universal. How did you get a hammer in there? I managed to get a wrench on and added leverage with another wrench but it still didn't budge. My arm is tore up though from attempting this.
I didn't even get to the drivers side but I glanced at the top bolt and it looked like there was a plastic tube in the way so you would have to use a swivel joint. I'm going to try breaking the top two bolts with a friend before touching anything underneath the car.

Let's try to break this down so everyone can provide their input and we can help future DIY'ers.

Everything is pretty simple until you get to these 6 bolts holding the cats to the manifold.

Passenger Side:
Bolts
#1 - "EASY" Bolt facing the ground. Few straight extensions and you can remove this bolt with no issues.
#2 - "PITA" Bolt that faces toward the engine bay. Couldn't manage to find an appropriate set up to remove this bolt!
#3 - "Famous Top Bolt" - Should be done with two people with about 24"+ of straight extensions and a breaker bar.

Drivers Side:
Bolts
#1 -

#2 - "Steering Wheel Column" -

#3 - "Famous Top Bolt" - Should be done with two people with about 24"+ of extensions and a swivel joint? I'm assuming you put on the extensions then swivel joint then the deep socket?

Someone help out and fill in the #2 bolt on the passenger side and Drivers side bolts.

Also the Clips that hold the Oxygen sensor were a PITA to remove!
Old 04-04-2011, 12:36 PM
breftayka

Originally Posted by OMG35S
Passenger Side:
Bolts
#1 - "EASY" Bolt facing the ground. Few straight extensions and you can remove this bolt with no issues.
#2 - "PITA" Bolt that faces toward the engine bay. Couldn't manage to find an appropriate set up to remove this bolt!
#3 - "Famous Top Bolt" - Should be done with two people with about 24"+ of straight extensions and a breaker bar.
There should only be one bolt on each side that you have to get from the top. The others we got from underneath. Also, I have Gen 3 intakes, and got away with not having to remove them. First thing you should do is remove those top bolts. If you can't theres no point in wasting time on the others.
There are only two dificult bolts, the others just require strength because they are rusted on. I had to use my legs to push the wrench on a couple because they were so tight.
Passenger Side:
Bolts
#1 - "PITA" Required a half inch breaker bar + cheater bar and enough extensions to reach going through the hood.
#2 - "EASY" Can be done from underneath.
#3 - "EASY" Can be done from underneath.
Drivers Side:
Bolts
#1 - "Steering Wheel Column" - This is the demon top bolt. (As ipity correctly stated.) Need swivel socket and extensions.
#2 - "EASY" -Can be done from underneath.
#3 - "EASY" - Can be done from underneath.

Last edited by breftayka; 04-04-2011 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:30 PM
OMG35S

Originally Posted by breftayka
There should only be one bolt on each side that you have to get from the top. The others we got from underneath. Also, I have Gen 3 intakes, and got away with not having to remove them. First thing you should do is remove those top bolts. If you can't theres no point in wasting time on the others.
There are only two dificult bolts, the others just require strength because they are rusted on. I had to use my legs to push the wrench on a couple because they were so tight.
Passenger Side:
Bolts
#1 - "PITA" Required a half inch breaker bar + cheater bar and enough extensions to reach going through the hood.
#2 - "EASY" Can be done from underneath.
#3 - "EASY" Can be done from underneath.
Drivers Side:
Bolts
#1 - "Steering Wheel Column" - This is the demon top bolt. (As ipity correctly stated.) Need swivel socket and extensions.
#2 - "EASY" -Can be done from underneath.
#3 - "EASY" - Can be done from underneath.
Thanks for the clarification. I know that there are only two bolts that you have to get loose from the top (One on each cat).
I had trouble with one of the bolts on the passenger side that I couldn't get a good angle on.

As mentioned earlier one of them was very easy but this one bolt I couldn't maneuver to remove it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bH9irOK9sdo

I believe it's actually this bolt @ 5:15! It looks like they used a flex head 1/2" ratchet. It looks longer than my standard craftsman 1/2" ratchet. I have a nice set of craftsman tools with a bunch of extensions and sockets but I couldn't get this bolt. What did you guys use to get this bolt out? I'm thinking about a swivel on a shallow 14mm socket but I'm pretty sure I tried that and my 1/2" ratchet from craftsman is too short! I may have to purchase another tool..

BTW quick question : Which bolts/nuts are re-used from OEM? My RTP's came with new bolts for every hole. Are the top "evil" bolts re-used? If so I may want to purchase a replacement.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:12 PM
breftayka

This video is BS. I tried using it. They are a little different between the 350z and the G37.
Use any new bolt you get with your kit. Only reuse as needed. It's up to you how you go about it. Some people are a little paranoid, but I'm gonna tighten the top one a lot less than the factory did. For the passenger side bolt, it was easy enough without a swivel.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:38 PM
Steveo47

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The video makes it looks very very easy. You CAN fit a shallow socket in there without it hitting the steering column, you may have yo get a bit creative but i never had to use any universal joints
Old 04-04-2011, 03:57 PM
OMG35S

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I need a longer 1/2 ratchet in order to get to that bolt.

I'll be purchasing the 1/2" flex head ratchet from craftsman.

The only times you guys used a swivel joint was for the top drivers side bolt right?
Old 04-05-2011, 06:00 AM
mikelr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The video makes it looks very very easy. You CAN fit a shallow socket in there without it hitting the steering column, you may have yo get a bit creative but i never had to use any universal joints
The only time I ever had to mess with the steering joint is when I removed my factory exhaust manifolds, you should be able to do the cats without disturbing the steering.
I don't remember the exact assembly of sockets and extensions I had to use on which bolts but make sure you use a 6 point socket and bring friends cause that top bolt is basically siezed, both mine broke off once enough force was applied.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:02 PM
breftayka

Originally Posted by OMG35S
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I need a longer 1/2 ratchet in order to get to that bolt.

I'll be purchasing the 1/2" flex head ratchet from craftsman.

The only times you guys used a swivel joint was for the top drivers side bolt right?
I would use a breaker bar over a ratchet for that bolt.

I took mine to the shop yesterday and he knew exactly the bolt I was talking about. Said he had to loosen the steering column last time he did it and said it'd be $75 to install the one test pip or $120 to do both. After reading other posts though I'm just gonna try again with a different socket.

Steveo were you using 1/2" drive or 3/8? And you do have a coupe right?
Old 04-08-2011, 06:01 PM
OMG35S

Got my friend to help me out with the top bolt on the passenger side...

We ended up stripping the bolt... I went to Sears and bought a bolt-out extraction tool and will try again sometime soon...

Quick question..

If I break the top of the head of the bolt will I be able to still remove the cats? Is this the one bolt that gets re-used? If so, I'm going to the dealership and buying a new one...

If this bolt-out extraction tool doesn't work out anyone else have any ideas on tackling a stripped bolt that's that far down? I hope it works.. I don't feel like bringing it to a shop after all this work I did.. haha