Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Auto Tiptronic Owners - Has this happened to you?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 11:05 AM
333 4 ME

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto Tiptronic Owners - Has this happened to you?

So I just took my G out of winter hibernation the other day, and am driving around town yesterday getting reacquianted with my girl in the usual Manual Mode, and all of a sudden she goes into Auto Mode and I am no longer able to shift using the shifter.

This is the first time this has ever happened so I was very surprised. I tried moving the shifter right-left back into manual mode, but to no avail.

So I pull over, power down then up again and everything seems to be working fine again. Start driving down the road and about 2 minutes later the same thing happens. This time, after I pull over it will not go back into manual mode when the shifter is pushed left. Seems like there is some sensor that tells the car you are in manual mode and that thing has gone awry.

She will go into DS mode only when I use the paddle shifters, but I never use DS because I find the transmission will revert back to auto mode far too quickly.

Anyway just wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue. The crazy part is that my warranty expires TODAY!!!

I called Infiniti this morning and explained the issue and luckily they were able to fit me in for service today. I am sure they would have warrantied it tomorrow or for the rest of the week or possiblty longer, but not looking to chance it.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:36 PM
Only4theGnme

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 333 4 ME
So I just took my G out of winter hibernation the other day, and am driving around town yesterday getting reacquianted with my girl in the usual Manual Mode, and all of a sudden she goes into Auto Mode and I am no longer able to shift using the shifter. ..
It's throwing a tantrum...upset over her winter neglect...spend a little time and money on her, she'll come around.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:57 PM
emyrl

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dealership should take care of you. Many other people have had this problem. There's a faulty chip that deals with the shifter, it needs to be replaced.
Old 05-12-2022, 01:50 PM
Disconnected AW
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by emyrl
Dealership should take care of you. Many other people have had this problem. There's a faulty chip that deals with the shifter, it needs to be replaced.
Hey guys I been dealing with this issue for a long time. Dealer literally said needs tcm and valve body. Quoted at 4,400$ so no go. What the heck. I literally ran every gear almost a whole drive recently. Still boots me out and have to turn off then back on again. I've seen its happened to alot of ppl. As silly as it sounds I don't trust the dealer. There's gotta be an easier fix then that! Pls help! I have a build for my car and I can't start until I fix this!!
Old 05-12-2022, 03:46 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,338 Likes on 1,082 Posts
May want to check this thread. If you can shift with the paddles but not the "+/-" on the shifter, the problem is the shifter, not the transmission.
Old 05-13-2022, 08:24 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 736 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
May want to check this thread. If you can shift with the paddles but not the "+/-" on the shifter, the problem is the shifter, not the transmission.
Correct, the transmission cannot physically stop you from entering DS mode. If this happens the problem lies in the shifter.
Due to age and abuse plastics can break in that area or debris and jam the shifter. I would take off the panel and **** and inspect it.
A new shifter should be pretty affordable and simple to change.