Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Performance after transmission software update

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 09:17 AM
LINY_Rob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got the 7AT reflash done on my 2010 G37xS in late March 2011. Have 14,000 miles on the car.

I am mixed about the reflash ... previously, the speed of upshifts was not quite as quick as I wanted in all conditions (I had a 2008 G35xS before). Now it's a mixed bag - under light to medium throttle, there is an annoying lag shifting from 2-3 and 3-4 - like it holds the gear a bit longer, but then the actual gear change can be characterized as very lazy. However ... when you're on the throttle more, I get great crisp gear changes that are a definite improvement prior to the reflash. I now drive in DS mode much, much more often now. It holds gears a touch longer lending to the torque converter locking up sooner, and helping to give me those quick and crisp gear changes I like.

Re: Feeling slower or quicker ... Prior to the flash, I always felt there was some type of "resistance" in the 7AT especially in gears 1 and 2 - even when really stepping on it. Now, that "someone poured molasses in my tranny" feeling is over. The car is much more lively off the line and freer flowing in gears 1 and 2. I remember one post on here ... a member saying "DS is power mode - try it!" Now that makes sense to me - I can really feel the difference off the line between D and DS - love it.

Re: the "stoutness" and longevity of the 7AT ... I drive this thing like a bandit, and use the paddle shifters as if they are going out of style ... in D and in DS-M mode ... upshift ... downshift ... upshift early ... upshift then downshift ... double upshift ... double downshift ... and mostly under hard acceleration or quick deceleration ... I don't think this thing is going to break any time soon. The 5AT in my 2008 G was not nearly as tough ... This 7AT is definitely very, very stout. No other tranny I've had has been able to withstand my right foot or manual shifting like this car.

Re: the 3-4 surge ... still there, but greatly reduced ... and as another member pointed out it is when the car is re-started not too long after it's been sitting ... or when the tranny is not as warmed-up as the engine.

Hope this helped somebody ....
Old 04-09-2011, 09:17 PM
Maxpilot

Do the 2011 models already have the transmission flash?
Old 04-09-2011, 09:25 PM
Mudgen
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great post, LINY_Rob. Thanks.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:55 PM
woodG37

I am not sure if my case is somewhat different but here are things that I have noticed since the tranny reflashed about three weeks ago:

1) In the lower gears (1-3), it feels heavier than before and makes alot more noise than before (the RPM goes to 4k now to upshift. Used to change the gear at below 3K);

2) It feels like the car became a 5AT now as I find the 5th gear is at over 60 miles (highway) and at around 35 miles (in the city). I wonder if it ever goes to 6th and 7th in the D mode.

3) Like others mentioned, mileage got worse in the city AND the Miles to Empty in the navigation became incorrect after the reflash (it used to be somewhat spot on based on the MPG displayed).

Is there any place to see what changes the new software was supposed to make?
Old 04-14-2011, 11:56 AM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
The flash is by far not perfect, but I feel that it is a signficant and worthwhile improvement for me.

1. The clunking down low (at low speeds) is nearly gone

2. The flare is there, but does not seem as bad

3. Less "confusion" on gear selection and less "slapping" into a gear with a big judder...

4. Easier to drive in stop and go traffic.

5. Does not feel 'heavier' or 'less spirited'... it feels just as quick as I remember it to feel.

I did not, and will not, do an ECU reset.

We'll see.
Originally Posted by KLB
They should have reset the ECU when they did the flash.
If you had the TSB applied - they definetely reset the ECU. i just had another return meeting and drive with the Service Manager at Pepe Infiniti in White Plains, NY. That was prompted by stern complaint to Infiniti of NA. The meeting produced nothing other than his reinforcement of the fact that there are numerous complaints about the jerky, hesitant shifting of the 7AT. Off the Record: he tells me that Infiniti is working on a better "fix' (its all about the electronics between the ECU and TCM), But is not certain about that... He acknowledged the jerky perfromance, the hesitancy, and some of the abrupt downshifts on a intermittent basis. He said that many variables affect the results: Outside temps, barametric pressure, etc. etc.... I posted that answer on the other Thread. i am not letting this go. I am disappointed at myself for not taking a more exhaustive test Drive before I signed on the dotted line.....
Old 04-14-2011, 03:44 PM
hadokenuh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Almatti
I am disappointed at myself for not taking a more exhaustive test Drive before I signed on the dotted line.....
I feel you. But since you were coming from a G35, how could you possibly envision anything wrong with the new G37? Am I correct?
Old 04-15-2011, 04:57 PM
Almatti

hadokenuh, absolutely.

I will say that with the Temps outside a little better (higher) in the NY area, the past 2 days, the car has perfromed better, much closer to what I expect - less hesitation, less gear hunting, seems to be in the right gear in all driving scenarios. It seems that the outside Temps do affect it, just as the Service manager said. I am speculating, but from reading on this thread and the other major Thread about the Transmission, from what I remember from various posters, many of the "satisfied" customers both before and after applying the TSB Reflash, were from Warmer Climates??? - Cali, etc...some didn't have the 07 G35X to compare to as well....
Old 05-25-2011, 05:53 PM
Almatti

Maxdog & ianddi : this is another Thread you should read through.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:56 PM
ATL-G37s

I had the transmission flash done to my 2010 G37s several months ago. This has not changed much in the way of the driving experience, there is still a flare in the way the car up-shifts. But the main problem i have is when i am driving on the highway; cruising along at 60-70 and I need to accelerate quickly, there is a big lag. The car seems to wait a few seconds, hunt for the right gear and then there is an acceleration surge. I am concerned as in certain situations, this can be dangerous.
I traded my 2003 Nissan Maxima SE for the G37 sedan and the Maxima's transmission actually seemed more responsive.

Do other people experience this lag when trying to accelerate while cruising along at 60-70 mph? I seem to experience this in both D and DS modes (less in DS thought).

I hope that Infiniti can come up with a solution to this as the G37 is the best choice in this class (minus these nuances).
Old 05-25-2011, 09:36 PM
Mudgen
Registered Member

^Almost the opposite for me. Cruising at 70 and coming up on a vehicle in the middle lane, with another car coming up at maybe 72 in the left lane, when I floor it to shoot out left and swing back into the middle, I often find myself doing 95 when I back off and slide back to the middle. No lag at all, the car explodes into acceleration.

According to my dealer, my car was delivered in Feb with the firmware rev from 10-075.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:58 PM
ATL-G37s

Originally Posted by Mudgen
^Almost the opposite for me. Cruising at 70 and coming up on a vehicle in the middle lane, with another car coming up at maybe 72 in the left lane, when I floor it to shoot out left and swing back into the middle, I often find myself doing 95 when I back off and slide back to the middle. No lag at all, the car explodes into acceleration.

According to my dealer, my car was delivered in Feb with the firmware rev from 10-075.
I probably need to look back at my paper work and see which revision i received. I will look into 10-075 as well if this is not what was applied to my car.
Thanks for the reply Mudgen
Old 05-26-2011, 12:29 AM
hadokenuh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ATL-G37s
I had the transmission flash done to my 2010 G37s several months ago. This has not changed much in the way of the driving experience, there is still a flare in the way the car up-shifts. But the main problem i have is when i am driving on the highway; cruising along at 60-70 and I need to accelerate quickly, there is a big lag. The car seems to wait a few seconds, hunt for the right gear and then there is an acceleration surge. I am concerned as in certain situations, this can be dangerous.
I traded my 2003 Nissan Maxima SE for the G37 sedan and the Maxima's transmission actually seemed more responsive.

Do other people experience this lag when trying to accelerate while cruising along at 60-70 mph? I seem to experience this in both D and DS modes (less in DS thought).

I hope that Infiniti can come up with a solution to this as the G37 is the best choice in this class (minus these nuances).
You probably don't drive the car aggressive enough so it's adapted to your smooth driving style. You can try to pop it into M mode and drive it a bit more aggressive, then put it back to D. I think the hesitation will improve.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:56 AM
Mudgen
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ATL-G37s
I probably need to look back at my paper work and see which revision i received. I will look into 10-075 as well if this is not what was applied to my car.
Thanks for the reply Mudgen
Thinking further about what you described, it's very similar to what it feels like when the VDC kicks in when you're trying to accelerate out of a corner at the limits of adhesion. In a quick acceleration/lane-change scenario, you probably have your eyes on the road, not the dash, so you may not know if the VDC is lighting up. You might try switching it off some and seeing if you can rule it out as a cause. VDC _shouldn't_ be activating in those situations, but if it's somehow fooled into thinking there's slip, it could.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:54 PM
SurreyG

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by Maxpilot
Do the 2011 models already have the transmission flash?

Sorry not to keep beating on this thread but nobody answered this question?

Thanks.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:17 PM
Mudgen
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SurreyG

Sorry not to keep beating on this thread but nobody answered this question?

Thanks.
Perhaps it was a bit oblique, but someone did.

"According to my dealer, my car was delivered in Feb with the firmware rev from 10-075."

But there have been two additional reflashes since that one, IIRC.

Quick Reply: Performance after transmission software update