Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Performance after transmission software update

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 06:02 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
In feel the Reflash was "positive" only slightly though....IMO, needs a lot more to make me happy. I continue to compare to the 07 G35X with a 5 AT, much better driveability in all scenarios than this car, but had less MPGs.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:03 PM
bluedevils95

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Can't you just reset your ECU? Would that work for you? Did you do that already?
Old 03-30-2011, 10:13 PM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The car is much smoother after the reflash. The lag is still there...but a lot less. However, once in a blue moon, it choose to lag for a long time.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:45 PM
Cheburashka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is the procedure for the ECU reset? Wouldn't the ECU be reset after the transmission software update?
Old 03-30-2011, 10:49 PM
bluedevils95

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Well, not sure about the G37 and don't want to give you the wrong thing. But for the G35 all you do is disconnect the negative terminal on the battery for maybe a minute and put it back on. I do this all the time to my car. Well, i do it resets everything. Windows, radio, seats (well, not sure on that one). The ECU learns your driving habits and works for how you drive.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:01 AM
NCNC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my case the car "feels" heavier after the update and gas consumption goes up by about 5-10% on average (50/50 city/hwy driving). Probably because it holds lower gears longer now I feel that engine noise is also louder. In addition, I don't know why I have a bigger lag now compared to before. I thought it should be the other way around. And flare is still there.

The slight improvements I have are:
- downshifts at low speed seem to be a bit more gentle now (rough shifts still present but less noticeable now)
- less likely to have 2 (or 3 ??) gears downshift at once when doing highway merging/passing so no more scary sky-rocket style accelerating
- so far no more clunk into gear under stop-and-go traffic

I have already reset the ECU but don't see any change. I don't know if I should like or dislike the update.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:21 PM
PeterUbers

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The flash is by far not perfect, but I feel that it is a signficant and worthwhile improvement for me.

1. The clunking down low (at low speeds) is nearly gone

2. The flare is there, but does not seem as bad

3. Less "confusion" on gear selection and less "slapping" into a gear with a big judder...

4. Easier to drive in stop and go traffic.

5. Does not feel 'heavier' or 'less spirited'... it feels just as quick as I remember it to feel.

I did not, and will not, do an ECU reset.

We'll see.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:24 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
The flash is by far not perfect, but I feel that it is a signficant and worthwhile improvement for me.

1. The clunking down low (at low speeds) is nearly gone

2. The flare is there, but does not seem as bad

3. Less "confusion" on gear selection and less "slapping" into a gear with a big judder...

4. Easier to drive in stop and go traffic.

5. Does not feel 'heavier' or 'less spirited'... it feels just as quick as I remember it to feel.

I did not, and will not, do an ECU reset.

We'll see.
why not? i did the ecu reset after 3 days from getting the reflash and it was much better.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:06 AM
KLB

They should have reset the ECU when they did the flash.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:35 PM
My2011G37XSport

Just leased a 2011 G37X Sport AWD Sedan late last week, and then I signed up here yesterday...not feeling too confident in what I'm seeing posted about the 7 AT...can someone give me the run-down on what the deal is? I only have 40 miles on it, and I'm not sure if I'm feeling what everyone is writting about - then again, I just got the car and it's my first Inifiniti, so I don't know what I don't know! Should I be concerned???
Old 04-04-2011, 03:23 PM
MaluG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by My2011G37XSport
Just leased a 2011 G37X Sport AWD Sedan late last week, and then I signed up here yesterday...not feeling too confident in what I'm seeing posted about the 7 AT...can someone give me the run-down on what the deal is? I only have 40 miles on it, and I'm not sure if I'm feeling what everyone is writting about - then again, I just got the car and it's my first Inifiniti, so I don't know what I don't know! Should I be concerned???
Put it this way, in suburban and highway driving you probably won't notice much. In traffic and on hilly roads below 35mph thats when you notice the hesitation and jerky shifts. In NJ it's hard to avoid these conditions so there will be times when you'd wish for a smoother shifting car. But when you get the chance to let her loose then you'll be happy with the trans. It's a compromise.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:05 PM
bitNine

Originally Posted by My2011G37XSport
I've got about 1300 miles on my G now, and honestly I think people here are making a much bigger deal about it than it actually is. I didn't notice it until I had a couple hundred miles on the car, then I noticed a jerky shift here and there. I'm not actually sure if I have the update or not.

Being that automatic transmissions are, in general, pretty stupid when it comes time to to decide how to shift, I'm not surprised that this car hesitates, especially with 7 gears to choose from. The car has done a pretty good job of figuring out my standard driving style. But it gets a bit lost when I start to push it. The down shift from 2-1 is only sometimes an issue. When I'm driving it sporty, I drive in manual mode.

Point being, stop listening to what everyone else says, and decide for yourself whether or not it's a problem. Complain to Infiniti if it is.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:29 PM
My2011G37XSport

Thanks for the information. As it relates to the "learning" aspect, I've read a few posts about how to break the trans in, is there any truth to that? I read the owners manual and it says not to jump on it, run the RPM's up, or exceed 60MPH. Even though it's a lease, I don't want to blow it for the next guy 2 years from now. Any suggestions?
Old 04-04-2011, 04:53 PM
bitNine

The manual is over-protective, just like any parent. Just ramp up slowly... be nice the first few drives, and if you do run it hard, make sure it's hot first.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:16 AM
ditzola

The G35 used transmissions will give better price, warranty, resale, power, tighter space, <20MPG average. but it's one hell of a fast fun car that the germans can't give you at that price point. To me the G looks nicer from the outside and inside. If you can get a new Audi A6 3.2 Quattro for under $40K with those two packages... I'd be all over that instead of the G.

Last edited by ditzola; 04-14-2011 at 02:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Performance after transmission software update