Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

tune and dyno from church automotive

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 02:56 AM
jungwoo0622

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tune and dyno from church automotive

my mod was injen intake, hfc, hks exaust.
this dynapack make lots of HP almost unreal.
they couldnt give me the promised hp(350) right after they did the stock run(329hp and 272.3lbft).
But atleast my torque band is much better than stock run.
Also my intake filter has hydro cover on it.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:06 AM
jungwoo0622

YouTube - Dynapack and DynoJet head to head comparison
Is this true?
If it is true wow what am i getting?

btw, i dont care about the HP number so...
Please dont bla-bla me
thanks...

Last edited by jungwoo0622; 03-29-2011 at 03:17 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:53 PM
s2ktoEvo

Not to burst your bubble, but take whatever Church said you made, subtract 30, and you're probably pretty close. Church's dyno is NOTORIOUS for reading super high.

Go get a dyno somewhere else and you'll get your heart broken.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:15 PM
jungwoo0622

Originally Posted by s2ktoEvo
Not to burst your bubble, but take whatever Church said you made, subtract 30, and you're probably pretty close. Church's dyno is NOTORIOUS for reading super high.

Go get a dyno somewhere else and you'll get your heart broken.
OK i will
Old 03-29-2011, 03:04 PM
kosstick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
??????????? So what is your Before After Dyno with the Tune?
Old 03-29-2011, 03:05 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Church's dyno reads slightly lower than flywheel horsepower (typically about 8% under; remember that your baseline was with bolt-ons)

Before the dyno arguments start, lets just make it clear that it is not the number that matters, but the % gain.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:52 PM
Viper62382

I just had my cobb dyno tuned and put down 342whp and 292wtq
Old 03-29-2011, 04:42 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
It's not the actual numbers that are important, but the difference of before/after.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:05 PM
jungwoo0622

I will post the dyno soon maybe tommorrow
It wasnt that much
somehow i had good hp and tq already compare to other g37.
owner has g37s 4dr with tuned and it was almost same as my baseline.
it wasnt even 5% with one hour of effort but my tq band is consistent now.
at least...
Old 03-29-2011, 07:07 PM
Mike

But, Shawn's G37 is stock except for the tune
Old 03-29-2011, 07:15 PM
jungwoo0622

Originally Posted by Mike
But, Shawn's G37 is stock except for the tune
lol now he has test pipe
Old 03-30-2011, 12:30 AM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
this is where you need to dyno if you want real numbers..

GoodSpeed Performance Lab

First thing we learned about using the MaHa lps 3000
Is… forgetting everything you learned about all other wheel power calculating dynos. This is what we had to do, Joe and I have been using other dynos for years to tune and test cars and we put up some resistance at first until we unlearned what we had gotten so used to.

Other dynos can only give you wheel power #s. and this is ok if all your going to do Is look for the gain from a modification compared to stock, and you don’t need or care to know what the real power is. The wheel numbers are completely arbitrary.

One of the most common miscalculations in determining horse power was guessing the drive train loss.
Most people think that there car has a certain percentage of drive train loss, in fact drive train loss is not one set percentage its multiplication, the most common example is a person that has had there car dynoed at a shop with a DynoDynamics or a Dynojet or other simalar, will say something like… my car dynoed at 280 whp and the dyno operator told me my car is approximately 25% drive train loss, so my car must have 350hp at the crank.
First question we usually ask is At what RPM. if your peak HP is at 5000 RPM then you drive train loss is much less than it is at 7000RPM so for example lets say your drive train loss is 65 hp at 5000 rpm and it is 80 at 7000RPM then you have to know what the loss is at the exact RPM that you are making your max HP, or your #s are again completely arbitrary. And with all the different wheels brakes, light weight drive lines, even tires,,.. with out the ability to dyno you driveling you have no way of knowing what your real Hp # is.
This is why we have no question about high or low reading dyno we can always throw a stock car on and compare it to the factory SAE #s
A stock e46 M3 will put between 332 and 334 crank horse power on the MaHa dyno all day, factory #s 333.0 Hp, YES its that accurate.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:18 AM
Mike

That dyno does nothing any other load bearing dyno does.

It does not measure engine horsepower. It measures torque put down to the wheels, then just runs a set of calculations to give you horsepower.

It's just another dyno.

The reason virtually every (highly) reputable so-cal tuner uses a dynapack is because it eliminates wheel slip and variable rolling resistance. You know that % variance that you get on other dynos? Well... its not there on a dynapack. Of course driveline loss is higher at 7k rpm than at 5k rpm; its a linear gain.

The only way you can calculate drive line loss is to measure engine output on an engine dyno, then plant that engine into the car, and then measure again at the wheels. Your dyno doesn't do that.

Every dyno operator is going to explain why their dyno is superior. My chosen platform is the dynapack because it eliminates the most variables possible. If your local dyno is "always reading spot on", then your operator is tweaking the numbers. Variance is higher than that between engines from the factory. Oil used will give you a bigger variance than +- 1 hp
Old 03-30-2011, 09:49 AM
s2ktoEvo

It does not measure engine horsepower. It measures torque put down to the wheels, then just runs a set of calculations to give you horsepower.

It's just another dyno.

The reason virtually every (highly) reputable so-cal tuner uses a dynapack is because it eliminates wheel slip and variable rolling resistance. You know that % variance that you get on other dynos? Well... its not there on a dynapack. Of course driveline loss is higher at 7k rpm than at 5k rpm; its a linear gain.

The only way you can calculate drive line loss is to measure engine output on an engine dyno, then plant that engine into the car, and then measure again at the wheels. Your dyno doesn't do that.

Every dyno operator is going to explain why their dyno is superior. My chosen platform is the dynapack because it eliminates the most variables possible. If your local dyno is "always reading spot on", then your operator is tweaking the numbers. Variance is higher than that between engines from the factory. Oil used will give you a bigger variance than +- 1 hp
Bingo.

Besides who really cares what your crank hp is, what makes it to the ground is the interesting part.

There's a reason a lot of people who tune cars call it 'Church's magic dyno". It isn't a problem with his tuning, he's good. It' just the way his dyno is setup it reads a LOT higher. realistically you're probably getting 285, maybe 290 whp.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:54 PM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
maybe im missing something here???
this is the most accurate dyno there is..

Measuring actual crankshaft horsepower and torque, No more random power train loss guessing. This dyno measures drivetrain loss during each run cycle

"No other dyno (Dynojet, mustang, dynodynamics) can be compared to the MAHA; it is in a class of its own. all others are not accurate enough to compare, only the MAHA is true engine power, on the MAHA it doesn’t mater what gear what load or any other operator factor the crank power is always the same, on other dynos the dyno operator can run a different gear or change the correction factor or a dozen other things to make the wheel # what ever they need it to be. With the MaHa it is always the same, REAL!"

It's just another dyno.

Last edited by chuckie311; 03-30-2011 at 02:01 PM.

Quick Reply: tune and dyno from church automotive