Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Supercharged VQ37 goes BOOM!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 04:05 PM
Weiboy718

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jnguyen
Turbo and supercharger are for ricers plain and simple. Keep it stock for warranty or don't buy a car at all is what I always say and I will tell my children to tell their children and so on
Listen to grandpa.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:08 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Uh oh...

Want a faster car? Buy a faster car! ™
Old 03-24-2011, 04:16 PM
jnguyen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Haha I just wanted to add in something useLess like the other 10-15 noobs who are bashing just to get their post count up
Old 03-24-2011, 05:36 PM
audtatious

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by efuseakay
Probably. I hear a bunch of different opinions... and you know what they say about those!

I still think this thread is malarky. We never had all of the information. If the owner isn't a member on the forum, we will never know exactly what happened.
I'm sure more information will come out. It's pretty covered in this thread via comments. Kyle has even mentioned it hitting over 10psi which is not supposed to happen on a kit set to 8psi.

The car is a 2008 w/5AT from what I'm told so it seems the older tranny held up better than the motor this time.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:35 PM
xlack
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Weiboy718
Listen to grandpa.

i dont even know whats going on but it's funny in here
Old 03-25-2011, 02:44 AM
infamousstunna1

Just making small-talk or small-post, but let me ask some of the f.I. guys if and when they go to start up their g...do u you actually think happy thoughts, for fear of something bad happening during the turn over? Or do you guys just nonchalantly fire her(the g) up?
I'm not tring to rain on anybodys parade either. In fact, I salute you guys! Just trying to see how much confidence you all have in your f.I. kit.

Last edited by infamousstunna1; 03-25-2011 at 02:58 AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:58 AM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by audtatious
I'm sure more information will come out. It's pretty covered in this thread via comments. Kyle has even mentioned it hitting over 10psi which is not supposed to happen on a kit set to 8psi.

The car is a 2008 w/5AT from what I'm told so it seems the older tranny held up better than the motor this time.
Right. All we have is coments. We don't know everything. The fact this thread was started by a third party should have been clue enough. Inbtime, I think we will know more of what happened. It's just sad (but predictable) to see so many knee-jerk reactions. That's all I'm really saying.

Glad to see at least that the 5AT held up. Wonder why the 7AT can't.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:13 AM
mikelr

Originally Posted by infamousstunna1
Just making small-talk or small-post, but let me ask some of the f.I. guys if and when they go to start up their g...do u you actually think happy thoughts, for fear of something bad happening during the turn over? Or do you guys just nonchalantly fire her(the g) up?
I'm not tring to rain on anybodys parade either. In fact, I salute you guys! Just trying to see how much confidence you all have in your f.I. kit.
I start mine without a care in the world....
Old 03-25-2011, 03:21 AM
infamousstunna1

Originally Posted by mikelr
I start mine without a care in the world....
Kool! That's what I like to hear!
Old 03-25-2011, 09:50 AM
audtatious

Right. All we have is coments. We don't know everything. The fact this thread was started by a third party should have been clue enough. Inbtime, I think we will know more of what happened. It's just sad (but predictable) to see so many knee-jerk reactions. That's all I'm really saying.
The image and the facts about what happened are correct. What needs to be determined is why. Until then we know there was a catastrophic failure. We know the owner saw over 10psi of boost. We know the owner had headers installed two days prior. We know he was running the same Stillen tune that was applied when the SC was installed (regardless of why there was no update). Now it's time to sort it all out and ensure it does not happen again.

Who knows, maybe there is a Stillen SC owner who has seen 10psi of boost and is getting it looked into now?

Glad to see at least that the 5AT held up. Wonder why the 7AT can't.
The AT is the one weak link I was expecting out of that guys car. I didn't expect a blown motor, I expected the tranny to go first.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:42 PM
christian655321

I run 10psi all day everyday- no issues.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:24 PM
terrycs
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by christian655321
I run 10psi all day everyday- no issues.
But having the WG set at 10psi vs. running 10psi around the track are totally different. Mine was even higher than 10psi for a while during development ... my peak hold actually showed 12psi before I realized it was too high for my taste. However, the motor seldon saw max boost and if it did, it was only for a short burst "when needed". Of course my spring pressure has been reset to around 6-7 psi for the daily drive with a boost controller for added power when needed.

As for the other question from infamousstunna1 about confidence in FI, I start mine up and drive to and from work 5 days a week. Yes, my motor does see positive pressure, but I'm sure I don't drive as crazy some of the other guys might? I have over30K boosted miles now.

It's hard to say what casued to the OPs motor to blow without data showing what it was doing at the time and without a post mortem.

I don't know how confident I'd be on a track though. As far as I know, none of the kits have been track tested.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:26 PM
Q8y_drifter

Received 39 Likes on 9 Posts
^^ This.

I'm REALLY curious as to what Nissan did to the FX50 and QX56 7AT's. I wonder if internals can be swapped for the 7AT in the G/Z. Do they share the same trans housing?
Old 03-25-2011, 06:36 PM
christian655321

Just thought I would speak to the reliability of FI, at least my own personal experience.

I have 25k miles on my car now, 15k boosted. I have not put my car on the dyno since it came from GTM, I know how much power it makes so there really is no reason.

I have run a few 1/4 mile runs at capital raceway and my slips are on dragtimes. Also if you search youtube you will see that I have plenty of high speed WOT runs - I've chased down bikes on highways and backroads, I have run supras, vettes, porsche turbo 911, and Caymans, SRT's and countless others - the videos speak for themselves. Some of these where short runs, some are longer. On the weekend I enjoy taking my car through our lovely backroads "in mexico" and those run are pretty long. vids also on youtube - The car is driven and and just doesn't sit in my garage to look sexy.

I check my oil every week, and its changed every 2 months. Filters cleaned every Year. Every visit to the shop , every 2 months, the kit is given a visual inspection. These inspections have led to 2 very minor adjustments

1. down pipe right side, noticed soot on flange - solution reseal \ replace both gaskets on downpipes left and right.

2. oil leak (drip) coming sensor monitor on oil filter collar for attachments - solution reseal all monitors gaskets (4)

so is it luck? I dont think so, FI requires maintenance, more so then normal. That and a good kit + install. If you dont have the funds to fix your car if it blows up, then I would suggest sticking to NA.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:50 AM
infamousstunna1

' ppreciate the feedback Christian and Terrycs!

Also, I would like to wish good luck to the owner of that blown engine. Blown engines suck.

Last edited by infamousstunna1; 03-26-2011 at 01:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Supercharged VQ37 goes BOOM!