Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

ATTESA VS Quattro (ATTESA haters learn your powertrains)

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 02:33 PM
shoggy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATTESA VS Quattro (ATTESA haters learn your powertrains)

So I dumped my Audi TT Quattro for an 07 G35X. I have seen quite a few posts with haters saying Quattro is better. The correct answer is which type of bias you prefer. Quattro is mainly on fwd cars from VW and Audi. Very few cars VW/audi makes are RWD biased. ATTESA is on RWD cars. So to begin. I original worked on my cars as a hobby. When I bought the Audi it became a full time job. Every Audi should come with the service manual because its just a matter of time till some thing else breaks. You can almost count the time saying shouldn't something break soon. The nice thing about FWD bias in the snow is, you will get under steer and when the awd kicks in you get some over steer to keep the car going where you point it. With ATTESA you have oversteer and hope by the time the front tires kick in your not to close to spinning out of control and can pull you back in the direction you want when the front tires kick in giving some understeer back. Audi typically uses a haldex unit to engage the rear tires. This unit has its own oil pump, clutch pack, and filter. At $180 a pop at the dealer to service every 30k miles thats a downside. Both systems have about the same delay before they go awd but the ATTESA's snow mode allows you to lock in 4 at dead stops. This gives you a little bit more of an edge when making turns to launch on busy roads especially in the rain. In the snow both systems are virtually useless with traction control on. When you turn traction control off driving is a lot easier in snow especially the deep stuff. With traction control on the car it prevents wheel spin fighting the use of the awd trying to keep it in 2wd. After the awd is engaged both systems feel same. So which is better that depends on your prefernce of frt or rwd. I personally like the fwd bias because when your on clover leafs at 125mph and start to under steer off the ramp the rear tires would kick in giving the little extra oversteer to keep the car turning instead of shooting straight off the road. If that is not enough then you can trail break it and save yourself with ease. In the G you have to be more careful if there is a wet spot or sandy spot the rear tire can break loose producing a crazy over steer. This is why you mostly see RWD cars off the road or into trees when it snows. Once the rear end starts to swing you better hope those front tires can really hook when they kick in. Of course if at higher speeds the G would let you lock in awd this would not be an issue.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:41 PM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Interesting read.. What engine did your tt have?
Old 03-06-2011, 02:55 PM
shoggy

Originally Posted by 6mtg37s
Interesting read.. What engine did your tt have?
225hp 6 speed The wonderful F'ing engine that has a plastic water pump that would have its impeller crack and break off the pump shaft leaving you stranded nearly every 80k miles. Even the dealer charges a core charge for them which I thought to be odd to at a dealer. They also use a fail safe thermostat which will eventually fail and you will find out thats it failed when it gets cold and your freezing with no heat. There really isn't enough server space here for me to finish telling people how much Audi sucks. Thats why consumer reports rated them the lowest in quality. I decided to get rid of the Audi when they charged me $11 at the parts counter for a peanut turn signal bulb. If your going to make garbage cars then don't rape on parts just because its an AUDI. There were also other parts that I overpaid for and got sick of it. Thats my opinion. My previous car before that was a 90 eclipse GSX and I wish I could buy another that thing was a tank and full time awd.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:56 PM
shoggy

Used 2002 Audi Tt 1.8T Chicago Arlington Heights IL - Sullivan Buick GMC - Call Us Now at 847-392-6660

Here is a link to my old car which is still for sale at the dealer
Old 03-06-2011, 03:59 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Nice. I drive by that dealer just about every day. lol

I think you will like the G a lot better, even with all of its quirks.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:15 PM
CaptainObvious
Banned

Originally Posted by shoggy
I personally like the fwd bias because when your on clover leafs at 125mph and start to under steer off the ramp the rear tires would kick in giving the little extra oversteer to keep the car turning instead of shooting straight off the road.

You got 45 degree banked cloverleafs there or what?
Old 03-06-2011, 05:54 PM
shoggy

Originally Posted by CaptainObvious
You got 45 degree banked cloverleafs there or what?
You go into them at 125 but you can average between 90 and 110. Some on and off ramps you can maintain go faster.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:04 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The 2011 Audi A8 features a new Quattro system that's rear biased (40/60).

Last edited by JohnEnglish; 03-06-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:08 PM
Steveo47

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
i take 90degree turns at 200km/h no problem!
Old 03-06-2011, 08:20 PM
soolman32

Received 127 Likes on 108 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but the TT does not have the permanent Quattro system. The true Quattro system (permanent awd) that can be found on my B6 A4 for example is indeed better in the snow than most if not all awd systems currently on the market.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:27 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Steveo47
i take 90degree turns at 200km/h no problem!
You can if you have AWD.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:15 PM
devil2k
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wanted an Audi TT Quattro Cabrio for the longest time, but I ended up buying the G37x instead. The TT is one sexy car but too bad they dumped the 3.2L engine and the AWD is part-time and front-wheel biased.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:07 PM
shoggy

Knock 600 pounds off your car, then go around a turn. You would be surprised how much faster you can go.

Yes the A5 is a different system and a totally new car. This is one of the few systems that is rwd bias. Where as most people have A4 or Jetta's. You are also speaking of the latest and greatest Quatrro system that just came out. It gives more a rwd bias. Virtually all systems people are familiar with are fwd. The older systems worked as stated.

The tune in the system was still made by audi's vehicle dynamics department.

Last edited by shoggy; 03-07-2011 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:20 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by shoggy
You go into them at 125 but you can average between 90 and 110. Some on and off ramps you can maintain go faster.
I'll pay money to see this, because I run a lightly prepped track car, and there's no way in hell I can hold more than ~60 on a standard cloverleaf, and thats with the rear loose and some countersteering.

To hold 125, I need a 800' radius turn (yes, 800 feet, not a typo) and a 14 degree banking. How do I know that? Because I'm flat through the whole turn at roughly 2.4 lateral G's.

Cloverleafs around here are roughly a 125-150 ft radius?

Last edited by Mike; 03-07-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:28 PM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
^^^ +1 i want to see someone take one at 125 as well. im saying there is no way in hell you making it

Quick Reply: ATTESA VS Quattro (ATTESA haters learn your powertrains)