Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

ATTESA VS Quattro (ATTESA haters learn your powertrains)

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 05:32 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Well, he does claim to trailbrake if he loses control and the AWD doesn't kick in in time to save him....

Braking at 125 mid-turn? He's got far more ***** than I do.

Maybe he's talking kilometers and not miles.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:41 PM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by shoggy
So I dumped my Audi TT Quattro for an 07 G35X. I have seen quite a few posts with haters saying Quattro is better. The correct answer is which type of bias you prefer. Quattro is mainly on fwd cars from VW and Audi. Very few cars VW/audi makes are RWD biased.
Before you generalize like that, you should understand that Audi's system is RWD biased on certain cars (as you said) and also understand exactly how the Audi center differential works.

Personally, I'd take the Quattro system in the A5 (which is RWD biased 60/40, IIRC) over the Nissan system.

Here's an excellent video on Audi's system:

YouTube - Audi: The quattro principle
Old 03-07-2011, 07:08 PM
ONEighty
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Ehem

All I know is that I hate AWD period. I have the B8 S4, and came to realize that AWD doesn't suite my driving preference. I want my RWD 10 6mt sedan back

As for AWD in the snow, unless you have snow tires, or brand new all seasons, the type of AWD your car has makes 0 difference. Doesn't make any fawking difference that my Quattro S4 comes with summer tires, so it's useless in the snow lol

-Igor
Old 03-07-2011, 07:11 PM
Mike

Yup, snow tires + 2wd > AWD + non-snow tires, in the snow, period.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:02 PM
theaudir8fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ sorry i totally disagree, clearly you don't live in heavy snow areas, where outside temp can drop to -30C, In the snow and ice, my mom's venza out do my my car easily. I have conti extreme winter contact on my car, the venza is just on some michellen all seasons. the venza get so much better traction off the line, while my slip light just blinks at me and i don't get anywhere or i turn VDC off and spin my wheels
Old 03-07-2011, 08:07 PM
Mike

I ski patrolled a year and drove in snowstorms frequently.

My corolla with snow tires did far better than my STI on all seasons.

Then again, you probably don't consider a half a foot of packed snow on the road much; it is so-cal after all.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:10 PM
moonsky

Snow tires help but RWD with wide tires is the worst combo for snow driving. I think Mike is thinking FWD when he wrote 2WD. I think the problem with sporty cars is that they come with really wide tires and wheels.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:15 PM
Mike

Originally Posted by moonsky
Snow tires help but RWD with wide tires is the worst combo for snow driving. I think Mike is thinking FWD when he wrote 2WD. I think the problem with sporty cars is that they come with really wide tires and wheels.
I really meant 2wd when I said 2wd. I'd personally take RWD with snow tires over AWD with high performance all seasons.

Snow tires are typically pretty narrow.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:20 PM
moonsky

Originally Posted by Mike
I really meant 2wd when I said 2wd. I'd personally take RWD with snow tires over AWD with high performance all seasons.

Snow tires are typically pretty narrow.
But typical RWD cars (like G37) come with relatively wide rims, so having snow tires on the stock rims is not going to provide much snow traction, especially from a stop, for a RWD car.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:34 PM
Mike

Back on topic, I'm still waiting for the OP's response to the 125mph on a cloverleaf....
Old 03-07-2011, 08:41 PM
ONEighty
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by moonsky
But typical RWD cars (like G37) come with relatively wide rims, so having snow tires on the stock rims is not going to provide much snow traction, especially from a stop, for a RWD car.
Aside from the fact that you live in CA, you're speaking so highly of something you don't know much about.

I get what you're trying to say, but at the end of the day... the widest rim you'll find on a Infiniti is 9" wide, which will accommodate a 225-255 tire without a problem.

From personal experience, about 90% of the G drivers from the Tri-State (NY, NJ, PA) who buy winter tires, install them on stock rims, and summer tires for their aftermarket wheels. Winter tires come in various widths to go along with every stock production wheel that's out there (obv aside from Super Sports cars).
Old 03-07-2011, 08:59 PM
theaudir8fan

Now if it's FWD, it's a completely different story. I thought you were referring to RWD with a relatively high power engine.
But in anycase, 4WD helps in these situations a lot. My friend's G37xS doesn't have any of the issues that i have.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:45 PM
spect2k

Originally Posted by theaudir8fan
^ sorry i totally disagree, clearly you don't live in heavy snow areas, where outside temp can drop to -30C, In the snow and ice, my mom's venza out do my my car easily. I have conti extreme winter contact on my car, the venza is just on some michellen all seasons. the venza get so much better traction off the line, while my slip light just blinks at me and i don't get anywhere or i turn VDC off and spin my wheels
I'll also agree with your disagreement. Our AWD cars with all-season tires will do MUCH better in the snow than 2WD cars with snows. Tires help big time, but there is no substitute for awd. Comparing a corolla with snows to an sti with either summer tires or uhp all-seasons is not an accurate comparison (and I'd bet the sti was still better if the DCCD was properly managed).

Now that I've made bold claims, I will clarify some. Any like car with snow tires will stop better in the snow than it's all-season counterpart, regardless of how many wheels drive the car. As we know, on like cars, awd actually hurts stopping distance since it adds weight if anything. Getting going on the other hand, awd with all-seasons will easily outmatch 2wd with snows (especially rwd).
Old 03-07-2011, 09:55 PM
Mike

Originally Posted by spect2k
I'll also agree with your disagreement. Our AWD cars with all-season tires will do MUCH better in the snow than 2WD cars with snows. Tires help big time, but there is no substitute for awd. Comparing a corolla with snows to an sti with either summer tires or uhp all-seasons is not an accurate comparison (and I'd bet the sti was still better if the DCCD was properly managed).

Now that I've made bold claims, I will clarify some. Any like car with snow tires will stop better in the snow than it's all-season counterpart, regardless of how many wheels drive the car. As we know, on like cars, awd actually hurts stopping distance since it adds weight if anything. Getting going on the other hand, awd with all-seasons will easily outmatch 2wd with snows (especially rwd).
EHP tires crack in cold weather, as do slicks. I've tried EHP on snow. Guess what, I cracked 2 tires (as well as having no grip).

DCCD was in permanent 50/50 for obvious reasons.

All seasons, are by nature, a compromise.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:58 PM
spect2k

Agreed! Performance tires like that don't belong on the snow. Snow tires are best, especially when paired with AWD.

My subaru did better in the snow, but the ATTESA is a lot more fun year round.

Quick Reply: ATTESA VS Quattro (ATTESA haters learn your powertrains)