Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Another GTM Convert: GTM Supercharged G37

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 08:05 PM
Sam@GTM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Another GTM Convert: GTM Supercharged G37

It was going to be a long bumpy journey for Eric when he decided to supercharge his Infiniti G37. Little did he know that he was an early adopter of a new supercharger kit that came on the market. After month and months of multiple tunes and custom dyno tuning sessions, Eric decided to leave the kit for dead and see the light.

To be honest, we were excited and concerned at the same time. We were excited in the sense that this would be a great opportunity for us to digest a competitor's system since, in our opinion, there was very little technical information available to the public. Also, by switching systems, we were able to get direct customer feedback and back to back comparison between the two systems. Our concern was "how bad could it be?". Maybe it was not the kit, maybe it was the car, or maybe the customer is just difficult to please. Also, the customer was told that his car was the problem and not the kit. We thought it would be interesting and challenging to take on this conversion and even told the customer that in the event that our kit does not perform in ALL aspects like we said it would (power, driveability, power delivery, and overall performance), we would take it off of his car at no charge whatsoever.

Eric found that to be a win/win proposition and took us up on our offer.

Fast forward, and the car was dropped off at our facility. Our first plan was to completely verify and validate the customer's complaint with the system. We did in fact validate them in all aspects. The next step was to spend the time and diagnose the car to isolate the problem at hand. The last thing we want to do is remove a kit, install a different kit and still have the same driveability issues Eric was complaining about. We spent about a week dyno testing (we noticed that we could not get an accurate AFR reading due to the HKS muffler design so we decided to install an 02 sensor bung before the cats for more accurate readings and found AFR's in the high 13's under boost), logging, driving around with our knock ears (hearing massive amounts of detonation to our surprise and we're amazed that the car didn't seem to have incurred any internal engine damage), checking every sensor operation, and finally felt comfortable that this car will perform very well with our system.

We proceeded with removing the supercharger kit that was installed by an Infiniti dealership. We were rather disappointed with the quality of the installation that came from a dealership. A lot of pictures were provided to Eric to share at his discretion.

Our kit was installed, the car was tuned conservatively (due to the aforementioned lean running and detonation with the previous kit), test driven, and delivered as promised.

We were relieved that we didn't have to take our kit back off of the car, because there was absolutely nothing wrong with Eric's car and it drives like a raped ape.

Before

Customer Provided Dyno Graph (with other supercharger kit)

Our Knock Ears

After

After GTM Supercharger Install Dyno Graph

Dyno Comparison on both systems

Old 03-03-2011, 08:15 PM
Felix_the_Cat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice!!! Sucks that eric had to go through all that from the prior kit but im glad everything is working like it should now im sure hes happy. I cant wait to see this beast next saturday hopefully eric will take me for a spin!
Old 03-03-2011, 08:19 PM
Steveo47

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
awesome, im patiently waiting for the roots style sc for the g37x
Old 03-03-2011, 08:23 PM
wlmngtn

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Whats so good about Roots Charger?
Old 03-03-2011, 08:41 PM
Steveo47

^^^ it fits the g37x :P
Old 03-03-2011, 08:46 PM
soolman32

Received 127 Likes on 108 Posts
Interesting and thank you for sharing
Old 03-03-2011, 09:12 PM
Weiboy718

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i want to thank Sam@GTM and his crew for doing such an beautiful job reforming it back to it's stock form, i couldn't ask for more. i bet it wasn't the easiest thing to do and i really appreciate you helping me out when i loss all hope. thank you! the car is currently running fantastic with lot's more power especially at the low end. it's definately worth the switch in my opinion and should've went with GTM from the beginning. hopefully nobody has to go through what i had to. i pretty much sold all my mods for this switch cuz i was getting very desperate and i feel my engine won't last much longer if i don't take any actions now. it's alright! hard lesson learned!

for anybody that's thinking about going F.I go GTM!!!
Old 03-03-2011, 09:14 PM
Steveo47

^^ stillen kit is better, detonation adds more horsepower. also i would love to see the "crappy instal" pics!
Old 03-03-2011, 09:19 PM
wlmngtn

Damn, I didn't even think that was Weiboys car. Looks so... STOCK. lol Get your gold wheels already bro! (hehe)

BTW, congrats on the kit.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:25 PM
Weiboy718

Originally Posted by wlmngtn
Damn, I didn't even think that was Weiboys car. Looks so... STOCK. lol Get your gold wheels already bro! (hehe)

BTW, congrats on the kit.
last time i heard they told me it should be here by the end of this month. we'll see! i have lot's of goodies coming very soon. at the mean time this is how my car looks. not bad for mixed n matched springs eh?

Old 03-03-2011, 09:30 PM
wlmngtn

Your car never seizes to amaze me Eric(k)! lol
JP Lip is hands down the best lip for IP/MW/OB.
Cant wait to see what you got up your sleeve now. I think I might ask Kevin lol
Old 03-03-2011, 09:45 PM
dal1307

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
[/quote]
[/quote]

Wow Eric, When did you go back to the stock lip and rims? It looked so sweet before!
Old 03-03-2011, 09:48 PM
emyrl

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Glad GTM got everything settled for you Eric, you must be so happy. Are those GT30s just temporary? And sorry I haven't gotten back to you about what we were talking about in the offset thread, I ran into some snags and haven't been able to test and put stuff on yet.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:49 PM
wlmngtn

Eric is a parts *****.

/Thread

lol
Old 03-03-2011, 09:52 PM
Weiboy718

[/quote]

Wow Eric, When did you go back to the stock lip and rims? It looked so sweet before![/QUOTE]
haha, i sold everything! i don't make enough money to support my drug habit lol.
Originally Posted by emyrl
Glad GTM got everything settled for you Eric, you must be so happy. Are those GT30s just temporary? And sorry I haven't gotten back to you about what we were talking about in the offset thread, I ran into some snags and haven't been able to test and put stuff on yet.
yea, those GT30 belongs to my buddy. he just bought some new wheels so he lend me those while i wait for mines from Japan. i hope you can test fit your wheels before mines arrives hahahaha. i'm letting somebody else be the guinea pig this time. i'm done doing that now lol.

Quick Reply: Another GTM Convert: GTM Supercharged G37