Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Tune without aftermarket CAI/SRI - Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 11:30 PM
SpartanG37S

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tune without aftermarket CAI/SRI - Thoughts

I'm curious as to whether anyone has gotten a tune without an aftermarket intake and posted any significant gains.

The reason I ask? I don't care too much for the intake growl. I know it sounds crazy, but after having many cars in the past with aftermarket intakes, it's annoying for some reason. Also, I don't think it's worth the cost. Cost isn't an issue for me, but I'd hate to spend $500+ on an intake and get the same results post tune without an aftermarket one in my engine bay. My plan is to get the 4.08 final drive, a tune, and call it a day. The only bolt on I have is the MXP exhaust, which I like since it's not too loud and relatively quiet on the interstate.

Anyway, thoughts?
Old 02-28-2011, 11:33 PM
Steveo47

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
try it, youll get more gains with an intake. i dont know anyone who has tried this
Old 03-01-2011, 12:41 AM
GraphiteG37S

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
You won't be missing too much without intakes... just add some HKS drop in filters.

I agree , MXP is very quiet cruising around, as long as you're not WOT... then it screams.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:46 AM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
i'm not an expert here, but isn't the point of a tune to adjust the a/f ratio and therefore optimize it for daily driving on the streets? the byproduct is hp/tq gain. so without intake + various other bolt ons (exhaust, cats), there wouldn't be much in terms of gains? but on the contrary though, the osiris (from what i've read) really does smooth things out for the car AND settles the issue with the throttle flaps @ WOT (~40% closer to redline). i think it also takes care of the lag issue (drive-by wire).
Old 03-01-2011, 12:49 AM
GraphiteG37S

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by eksigned
i'm not an expert here, but isn't the point of a tune to adjust the a/f ratio and therefore optimize it for daily driving on the streets? the byproduct is hp/tq gain. so without intake + various other bolt ons (exhaust, cats), there wouldn't be much in terms of gains? but on the contrary though, the osiris (from what i've read) really does smooth things out for the car AND settles the issue with the throttle flaps @ WOT (~40% closer to redline). i think it also takes care of the lag issue (drive-by wire).
^This... he may not get huge gains, but I think the throttle response issue is worth it all on it's own.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:17 AM
SpartanG37S

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Throttle response and a new final drive don't show on the dyno, however they provide more accessible power, which can mean a faster car.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:54 PM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
read this

Nissan 370Z 6-Speed Manual Transmission Performance parts Dyno Test > 370z.com > 370z.com - Magazine

Technosquare's Nissan 370Z ECU reflash does not give as large gains on an engine with bolt on's as it does on a completely stock car but the gains are still across the board and pretty impressive
Old 03-07-2011, 08:41 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SpartanG37S
I'm curious as to whether anyone has gotten a tune without an aftermarket intake and posted any significant gains.

The reason I ask? I don't care too much for the intake growl. I know it sounds crazy, but after having many cars in the past with aftermarket intakes, it's annoying for some reason. Also, I don't think it's worth the cost. Cost isn't an issue for me, but I'd hate to spend $500+ on an intake and get the same results post tune without an aftermarket one in my engine bay. My plan is to get the 4.08 final drive, a tune, and call it a day. The only bolt on I have is the MXP exhaust, which I like since it's not too loud and relatively quiet on the interstate.

Anyway, thoughts?
I'd do some research on aftermarket filter replacements and try to find something a bit less restrictive then stock but still offering good protection and preferably dry. And then by all means get a tune. The stock tune is not designed for performance, it's designed for reliability and fuel economy across world wide deployment.. it's a one tune fits all. A custom tune will maximize performance on your specific engine and may cost a mile or two in mileage. Part of that may be your foot getting heavy as you revel in the new life it will give your car. If the mileage is a concern you can always ask the tuner to make two tunes.. one for performance, one for mileage.. may even get an increase there.

Last edited by RedG37SNC; 03-07-2011 at 08:48 PM.