Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Probably trans/drivetrain problem caused by big pothole hit..

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 11:45 AM
wooway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Probably trans/drivetrain problem caused by big pothole hit..

hey guys.

i posted a lengthy post on the Susp/Brakes forum Re: suspension being knocked out by 3 massive potholes I hit at 60mph head on on a delapitated hwy here in ST Louis. My G37 is brand new, <6 months old, 4,000 babied miles.

i've tried to garage it since i hit the potholes/craters 3 weeks ago and take alternate car in the day when available. i took it out last night to really test drive the car on various surfaces, etc. aside from the struts/alignment/balance being surely off and likely damaged, i now am almost certain there is transmission/drivetrain issues as well...

the shifter ****/handle is shhaking/vibrating when in Drive and I am driving, esp. at hwy speeds.. it never did this before hitting the potholes. it was always just still and fine. i notice this major. does this indicate something int he transmission has been jarred/loosened/jammed/damaged somehow by the big hits?

also, when accelerating, the engine feels bogged down and the gear transitions (Automatic, G37x) and also downshifting are REAL nasty and almost like something is grabbing or not allowing smooth shifts, smooth gear transitions... essentially, the car now feels like an abused loaner car that a dealer lends out to 100 half wits who could care less about keeping the car nic,e. and my CAR IS BRAND NEW... the kind of angry i am can't be explained.. i hope to take it to the dealer very soon and wonder if any of you great people on here can help me... it's going to be hell trying to convey this to the Service Dept people...

thank you
C
Old 02-21-2011, 12:10 PM
tollboothwilley

Fix the suspension issues, then take it to the dealer and say "somethings doesn't feel right"
Old 02-21-2011, 12:57 PM
wooway

Originally Posted by tollboothwilley
Fix the suspension issues, then take it to the dealer and say "somethings doesn't feel right"
thanks tollboothwilley..
although i can't/don't have the capacity to work on the car myself, i am
beholden to the only local Infinity dealer we bought the car at and a local audi/bmw/prosche performance shop..
that's about it.. i like your idea, but if i were to take it to the dealer to fix the suspension first from the pothole hits, and don't mention the transmission/drivetrain issue at this visit, i will likely have to wait 1-2 months before i can bring it in on that issue without it looking suspicious... but i don't know if it's a good thing to let it go that long..

what do you recommend?
Old 02-21-2011, 01:18 PM
Steveo47

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
do the "when i press the pedal is feels funny and when i turn this way i dont like it" Act like a stuck up house wife who knows nothing about cars, your under warranty so they will fix it. Im sure you can get them to fix your suspension, as long as you say you didnt hit a pothole
Old 02-21-2011, 01:33 PM
wooway

you think they will inspect thoroughly without anything to go on but me saying that?
you guys know more than me, so i guess i will try it..
it doesn't seem like would by transmission/drivetrain and steering/suspension issues without
something to go on from the customer (me)...
Old 02-21-2011, 01:51 PM
Steveo47

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
they will but i doubt they could prove ot was a pothole
Old 02-21-2011, 02:30 PM
s2ktoEvo

Oh for crying out loud.

If the suspension is damaged the dealership is going to know the difference between a defect and damage caused by hitting something. Defects are covered, pot holes at 60mph aren't. If they can get the factory to pay for repairs they may not care, but if the factory decides to send out an adjuster to check it over you are screwed. If the dealership is honest you are screwed.

Your insurance may cover it but you'll have to pay the deductible. It would just depend on how much it costs to fix vs the deductible.

Doesn't hurt to take it in and find out if they can get the factory to fix it. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

Vibrations travel, get the suspension/wheels fixed and then see if your shifter is dancing. It probably won't be, but you never know.

If it gets worse the faster you go, you probably bent the rim or lost a balance weight, again not going to be covered by the factory. When you hit the pot holes, it may have knocked off the wheel balance weights. Dealership would fix that for free, it happens sometimes even on perfect roads. Had that happen to me once in a different car.

Last edited by s2ktoEvo; 02-21-2011 at 02:44 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:36 PM
s2ktoEvo

Originally Posted by Steveo47
they will but i doubt they could prove ot was a pothole
I don't know where you guys get info. There's a big difference between a defect (what warranty's cover) and damage caused by physical force. They know the difference, they don't need to PROVE anything. IF it went to court, a couple of pictures would be all it would take to convince a jury or judge that it wasn't caused by a build defect. This isn't their first rodeo

Last edited by s2ktoEvo; 02-21-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:16 PM
Damn Dirty Ape

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by wooway
thanks tollboothwilley..
although i can't/don't have the capacity to work on the car myself, i am
beholden to the only local Infinity dealer we bought the car at and a local audi/bmw/prosche performance shop..
that's about it.. i like your idea, but if i were to take it to the dealer to fix the suspension first from the pothole hits, and don't mention the transmission/drivetrain issue at this visit, i will likely have to wait 1-2 months before i can bring it in on that issue without it looking suspicious... but i don't know if it's a good thing to let it go that long..

what do you recommend?

There are 2 Infiniti dealers in STL, Bommarito out on rte 100 in the manchester area and plaza where I got mine at olive & 270.

good luck
Old 02-21-2011, 06:24 PM
CaptainObvious
Banned

Originally Posted by s2ktoEvo
I don't know where you guys get info. There's a big difference between a defect (what warranty's cover) and damage caused by physical force. They know the difference, they don't need to PROVE anything. IF it went to court, a couple of pictures would be all it would take to convince a jury or judge that it wasn't caused by a build defect. This isn't their first rodeo
Nice.
10 points for you.

Edit:
Choose the category from where the points are beeing substracted

Last edited by CaptainObvious; 02-21-2011 at 06:30 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:55 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
you have a new car, they will work with you unless the service manager is a tool.
do you think you would be the only one that looses a customer over a possible bushing / or any suspension part.
infiniti has coved stuff that they cleary didn't have to.
as far them taking a customer to court,no way.
unless you had lawyer breathing down on them.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:24 PM
wooway

Taking it tomorrow morning to dealer.. we'll see... they said they will charge me labor rate to inspect it.. so much for the friendly "treat the new customer right"
Old 02-24-2011, 09:28 AM
s2ktoEvo

So what's the verdict? I'm really curious to see if the stealership tried to get it covered under warranty, and what actually got damaged.