Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Help Berk vs Fast Intentions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 09:03 AM
jhenka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Berk vs Fast Intentions.

I recently put on the Fast Intentions exhaust on my g sedan. The exhaust looks great and gives the car a nice rumble. The only issue i have with it is the rumble is a bit louder than the stock coupes. So needless to say its not nearly as aggressive as i want it to be. Don't get me wrong, the performance received a nice bump. You can feel the car wants to go faster because its breathing better, it just isn't the sound I expected to get. I was wondering what would give me a louder more distinct rumble without the loud raspy, tin can, exhaust noise. I asked around and everyone who i ask tells me adding Intakes or HFC will solve my problem. So i started this thread to get some opinions, my options are listed below.

Each number bellow + FAST INTENTIONS (Full Catback)

1.) Intakes, Short Ram
2.) Berks HFC
3.) Fast Intentions HFC
4.) Berks Test Pipes (Is there a difference between Berks or FI's or is it just preference)
5.) Fast Intentions Test Pipes

P.S. I noticed the exhaust is loud (relatively) at around 2-3k rpms then gets a bit louder at 3.5k and everything after that sounds like the exhaust was swapped back for stock, is that normal???
Old 02-16-2011, 11:20 AM
RhiNoKiLL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get a stillen :P
Old 02-16-2011, 12:23 PM
Steveo47

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I have Berk test pipes eight eh stock exhaust. No rasp once they broke in, and a very slight drone. I believe fast intention test pipes are resonated. I don't think an intake will make your exhaust louder. Ive never heard of that
Old 02-16-2011, 12:46 PM
Abdiel

test pipes have a break in period? They're just tubes, what's there to break in?
Old 02-16-2011, 02:03 PM
jhenka

Originally Posted by RhiNoKiLL
Get a stillen :P
Not a big fan of the stillen sound, i personally prefer FI thats why I have it =}

Originally Posted by Steveo47
I have Berk test pipes eight eh stock exhaust. No rasp once they broke in, and a very slight drone. I believe fast intention test pipes are resonated. I don't think an intake will make your exhaust louder. Ive never heard of that
Well they dont make resonated pipes for the sedan, So my choices are either berks or FI and then Test pipes or HFC.

Originally Posted by Abdiel
test pipes have a break in period? They're just tubes, what's there to break in?
Agreed they are just unrestricted pipes?

So pretty much i know i need to get either HFC or test pipes. I'm looking for opinions on which i should get and from which company? Any pros cons? Also any answered or advice to the questions i asked in the first post?

Last edited by jhenka; 02-16-2011 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Rephrased my comment.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:32 PM
Steveo47

^^ by break in i mean burning off all the oils and stuff from productions, i had a slight rasp at first, but its totally gone now with the stock exhaust
Old 02-16-2011, 03:18 PM
Abdiel

Originally Posted by jhenka
So pretty much i know i need to get either HFC or test pipes. I'm looking for opinions on which i should get and from which company? Any pros cons? Also any answered or advice to the questions i asked in the first post?
Looks like NY has a yearly emissions inspection requirement that includes visual check of emissions control devices. I'm taking this to mean the catalytic converter. If that's the case, I would go HFCs over test pipes.

Which HFCs? Berk seem to be the most popular (I've got a set on mine), followed by FI, then maybe Stillen? Just guesses on my part. What's most important from performance and sound POV is the HFC cell count. The smaller the cell count, the more flow which usually means better performance (probably only small diff between different HFCs) and greater sound due to less restriction.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/intake-...converter.html
Old 02-16-2011, 03:25 PM
Steveo47

^^ im from canada so we dont have these emission testings.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:26 PM
1cleanG
NextLevel Performance

Received 210 Likes on 155 Posts
Nice choice on the exhaust. For sound, I would definitely recommend HFC's. It will completely open things up. I've heard great things about Berks, but also know Tony who makes nothing but quality products at FI. You can't go wrong with Berks OR FI!
Old 02-16-2011, 03:56 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
I've got the FI exhaust on my x sedan. Along with ERZ HFC and Stillen Gen 3 intakes. The R2c intakes were quite louder than the Gen 3, and gave me a deeper exhaust note, which seems to be what you're looking for. Something to consider. And the ERZ HFC are very affordable. Check the vendor forum for posts by NissanGeneration. They sell the ERZs.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:08 PM
jhenka

Originally Posted by Abdiel
Looks like NY has a yearly emissions inspection requirement that includes visual check of emissions control devices. I'm taking this to mean the catalytic converter. If that's the case, I would go HFCs over test pipes.

Which HFCs? Berk seem to be the most popular (I've got a set on mine), followed by FI, then maybe Stillen? Just guesses on my part. What's most important from performance and sound POV is the HFC cell count. The smaller the cell count, the more flow which usually means better performance (probably only small diff between different HFCs) and greater sound due to less restriction.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/intake-...converter.html
Thank you!! these are the kind of replies i was looking for!!!
What i'm concerned about is the smell you get from test pipe i want the louder deeper growl just don't want that rasp or the smell. What would you recommend depending on the cell count? Berks or FI?

Originally Posted by | 1cleanG |
Nice choice on the exhaust. For sound, I would definitely recommend HFC's. It will completely open things up. I've heard great things about Berks, but also know Tony who makes nothing but quality products at FI. You can't go wrong with Berks OR FI!
Thanks! I love the FI qaulity, looks and sound just gota make it louder!!! lol
So you wouldn't recommend test pipes?
Old 02-16-2011, 04:09 PM
RhiNoKiLL

The stillen sounds like **** on the sedan. I believe it actually might be quieter than the stock exhaustlol
What... have you heard stillen? Stillen is known to be the best sounding for sedans and loudest lol FI is one of the most quiet ones
Old 02-16-2011, 04:32 PM
jhenka

Originally Posted by efuseakay
I've got the FI exhaust on my x sedan. Along with ERZ HFC and Stillen Gen 3 intakes. The R2c intakes were quite louder than the Gen 3, and gave me a deeper exhaust note, which seems to be what you're looking for. Something to consider. And the ERZ HFC are very affordable. Check the vendor forum for posts by NissanGeneration. They sell the ERZs.
r2c intakes?? and thanks for the info il look into the ERZ.

Originally Posted by RhiNoKiLL
What... have you heard stillen? Stillen is known to be the best sounding for sedans and loudest lol FI is one of the most quiet ones
I dunno i heard a Stillen before i got my FI and didn't like it.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:22 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Yeah. R2c are short ram and have a great sound to them. Not nearly the gains compared to the Stillen Gen 3s but if you're looking for sound, those are your best bet IMO. Kyle(Houston) is selling them. Again, check the appropriate vendor section.

Love my ERZ HFCs too!
Old 02-16-2011, 05:37 PM
theaudir8fan

@jhenka, Stillen Cat-back exhaust is great, i have it on my sedan and i do love it. the sound depends on each person and their own preferences, but it's not fair to say stillen sound like ****, and they are way louder then the stock exhaust

Quick Reply: Help Berk vs Fast Intentions.