Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Have an auto with paddles? The best $2 mod ever!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 09:08 PM
NYCMaxima

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice idea! Im picking up a set of these bumpers tomorrow before school!!
Old 02-14-2011, 10:58 PM
jmlenz

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NYCMaxima
Nice idea! Im picking up a set of these bumpers tomorrow before school!!
Does the maxima have the same steering column and paddles as the G?
Old 02-14-2011, 11:04 PM
yogregb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pretty cool,gotta give it a try, thx...
Old 02-14-2011, 11:10 PM
akuma_83

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool little mod you got there ! Its def worth a try... Thanks !

Now if only I could find where the heck on Guam they would sell these suckers then I would be set...
Old 02-14-2011, 11:32 PM
AKG37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by jmlenz
The new Maxima's have paddles but it is not the same part number (look slightly different too). You'll have to take a look to see if this works on it
Old 02-15-2011, 12:15 AM
NYCMaxima

Originally Posted by AKG37
The new Maxima's have paddles but it is not the same part number (look slightly different too). You'll have to take a look to see if this works on it
Its should, they have the same little opening that the paddles come out of. I was actually contemplating swapping out the ugly Nissan plastic paddles and getting the Infiniti magnesium set.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:17 AM
NYCMaxima

paddles look different, but same idea, paddles are fixed on steering columna and have that opening just like the G does. The only difference is the actual paddles themselves. The maxima has these ugly plastic paddles not magnesium and leather.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:42 AM
1NEETO

Speaking of floppy paddles, I was talking with one of my friends that has a new M3 and the floppy paddle topic came up. We were debating what's the optimum placement of the paddles, his are placed on the steering wheel itself and the G of course are placed on the steering colum. The debate went on and on about how we prefer our respective paddle placement blah blah. My main argument was that no matter what the steering wheel degree is, the paddles will always be on the same place, whereas on the M3 things can get confusing once it gets close to 90 degrees. at the end he told me "well you still have a ****ty *** torque converter"

Are you guys pleased with the G's paddle position or do you wish it was mounted on the steering wheel instead?
Old 02-15-2011, 04:38 AM
JoshLee89

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I understand the idea behind Infiniti's that our paddle shifters always will be in the same position, however I think Bimmer's idea is better and it seems more practical.
When you are driving aggressively lets say on the tracks, you up shift and down shift often before or after turning in to corners (and when you use paddle shifter, you always must two hands, one 3 o clock and the other 9 o clock of the steering wheel) There are no turns/corners that will make your steering wheel more than 180'. and espeically when you are turning in that sharp angle on the track. Additionally you won't be up shifting or down shifting in that dramtic corner. So basically you will only use paddle shifter within a range where you can hold the steering wheel 3 and 9 o clock.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:40 AM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by JoshLee89
...however I think Bimmer's idea is better and it seems more practical ...you up shift and down shift often before or after turning in to corners ...There are no turns/corners that will make your steering wheel more than 180' ...Additionally you won't be up shifting or down shifting in that dramtic corner ...only use paddle shifter within a range where you can hold the steering wheel 3 and 9 o clock.
In that sense, then the G's location is just fine then, as there is no need to shift while the wheel is turned.

Although, FTR, i've never had problems using the paddle's on the track, but there are turns that do take you out of range of those paddles somewhat if you really needed to access it.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:42 AM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
fixed paddles are 100x better than steering wheel mounted paddles.
from experience my rdx turbo had them on the steering wheel,very akward especially if pulling some g forces while hanging onto the steering wheel.

have never had a problem with the paddles on the g,always easy to access the shift.

to the o/p this is an insightful solution.
will be using paddles more now.
$2 can't go wrong.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:53 PM
carz

pretty interesting. I actually like the travel of the paddle...and the clicking sound it makes.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:21 PM
NYCMaxima

Didnt work on my car There isnt enough space on the shroud. When I put them in my paddles wouldn work, and when I took them out of one side and left the other, the empty side still didnt work for some reason.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:39 PM
jmlenz

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NYCMaxima
Didnt work on my car There isnt enough space on the shroud. When I put them in my paddles wouldn work, and when I took them out of one side and left the other, the empty side still didnt work for some reason.
Different distances in the paddle/column plastic gap between the G and the Maxima are in play here. Easy fix though: just file down the rubber bumper until there is enough clearance for it to work, making the bumper 'thiner'
Old 02-15-2011, 11:22 PM
NYCMaxima

Different distances in the paddle/column plastic gap between the G and the Maxima are in play here. Easy fix though: just file down the rubber bumper until there is enough clearance for it to work, making the bumper 'thiner'
Sounds like a plan!! Thanks for the tip.

Quick Reply: Have an auto with paddles? The best $2 mod ever!