Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

GTM and Stillen SC Install Facts and Results Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 10:16 PM
dal1307

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
GTM and Stillen SC Install Facts and Results Thread

I hate to stir this up again but I was thinking about this today and was wondering what the answer would be.

How many people who have the GTM Supercharger kit got it installed at GTM and how many got it installed at some other shop local to them and used the off the shelf tune from GTM, unmodified? How many people got it installed by a local shop and got either a full custom tune or tweaks to the off the shelf tune? For all, what were the results and were there any problems?

How many people who have the Stillen Supercharger kit got it installed at Stillen and how many got it installed at a local shop and used the off the shelf tune from Stillen, unmodified? How many people got it installed by a local shop and got either a full custom tune for tewaks to the off the shelf tune? For all, what were the results and were there any problems?

I will start. As most of you know I got my Stillen kit installed at a local shop in the Denver area and got a full custom tune. Living in CO I had no desire to stick to the ultra conservative parameters required to meet CARB certification. Also, I live at approximately 5400 ft asl and wanted a tune that accounted for that huge altitude difference from sea level. I also opted to use the 9 PSI pulley wihich at our altitude, as measured by my installer yielded 7.2 PSI. My baseline numbers were 250 HP and 227 TQ. My final numbers on the same dyno in the same gear were 387 HP and 311 TQ (increase of 137 HP and 84 TQ at 7.2 PSI boost). I have had no problems to date with the kit.

I am not trying to stir up the pot or offend anyone but simply asking for everyone on both sides to post the facts and reaults as I am curious.

Dave
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
Attached Thumbnails GTM and Stillen SC Install Facts and Results Thread-baseline_versus_power_4th_gear.jpg  

Last edited by dal1307; 02-12-2011 at 10:37 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:14 PM
mikelr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Dave, How did they manage to get your base dyno plot to do a loop-D-loop??

I think I was the first person to get the GTM kit for self install, the install went smoothly as it is a very well engineered system. I am running the canned tune that they supply with the kit, actually version 2.0... the initial tune had some hard start issues every once and a while once the engine was heat soaked. The current tune is excellent with no hot start issues, no ping and a rock solid idle. The car really does run like stock just with a whole lot more power.
I had some issues as all had with the first kits produced with the bypass valve being too small creating some compressor surge at higher rpm, low engine load conditions as well as inlet restrictions from the first generation inlet pipe that was supplied.
GTM has updated the inlet and reworked the bypass valve system at great expense, I'd have to say that the system works near flawlessly now...I am very pleased with it. I have not yet been able to get it on the dyno for final numbers but lets just say that the car has traction issues with gentle 3rd gear roll ons at only half throttle!! 1st and 2nd gear...you can forget traction.

Last edited by mikelr; 02-12-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:22 PM
dal1307

Originally Posted by mikelr
If you plot it by time instead of RPM there is not a loop. I puzzled over that one at first too. Herer is the same plot by time instead of by RPM. Maybe there whas some tire slip on the dyno or they let off the accel momentarily. IDK. Looking at those two plots it makes me think that it was some kind of anomaly in the data acquisition. I don't really think that the HP and TQ jumped at that point and if there was any slip it should have dropped. Looks like a glitch to me.
Attached Thumbnails GTM and Stillen SC Install Facts and Results Thread-baseline_by_time.jpg  

Last edited by dal1307; 02-12-2011 at 11:44 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:46 PM
dal1307

Originally Posted by mikelr

I think I was the first person to get the GTM kit for self install, the install went smoothly as it is a very well engineered system. I am running the canned tune that they supply with the kit, actually version 2.0... the initial tune had some hard start issues every once and a while once the engine was heat soaked. The current tune is excellent with no hot start issues, no ping and a rock solid idle. The car really does run like stock just with a whole lot more power.
I had some issues as all had with the first kits produced with the bypass valve being too small creating some compressor surge at higher rpm, low engine load conditions as well as inlet restrictions from the first generation inlet pipe that was supplied.
GTM has updated the inlet and reworked the bypass valve system at great expense, I'd have to say that the system works near flawlessly now...I am very pleased with it. I have not yet been able to get it on the dyno for final numbers but lets just say that the car has traction issues with gentle 3rd gear roll ons at only half throttle!! 1st and 2nd gear...you can forget traction.
Thanks for the post Mke!
Old 02-12-2011, 11:48 PM
mikelr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dal1307
Thanks for the post Mke!
It's a 6MT...the way a sports car should be..
Old 02-13-2011, 12:02 AM
Fezzik

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts
GTM self install supercharger. Took 2 full days with 2 guys that have never messed with Forced induction before. (not bad eh?)
Base 280hp/240tq

After Supercharger installed
428.5/341.2tq

I had the flutter issue at first but sam resolved it when he said he would and sent me parts at his cost to fix it. I had heat soak issue but that got resolved. I have a cold start issue and I am the only car experiencing this (Only when temps are at 20 degrees or below). I have to barely give a little gas to get it going. Sam is helping me out trying to pinpoint what it could be. But it does not affect the way it drives.
I am a 6mt and the power is nuts. Idle is fine. You CAN hear the intakes a little when at idle but not from inside the car.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:08 AM
dal1307

Originally Posted by Fezzik
GTM self install supercharger. Took 2 full days with 2 guys that have never messed with Forced induction before. (not bad eh?)
Base 280hp/240tq

428.5/341.2tq

I had the flutter issue at first but sam resolved it when he said he would and sent me parts at his cost to fix it. I had heat soak issue but that got resolved. I have a cold start issue and I am the only car experiencing this (Only when temps are at 20 degrees or below). I have to barely give a little gas to get it going. Sam is helping me out trying to pinpoint what it could be. But it does not affect the way it drives.
I am a 6mt and the power is nuts. Idle is fine. You CAN hear the intakes a little when at idle but not from inside the car.
Thanks Fezzik and kudos to you and your buddy on the install. That is a pretty involved job to take on. Two full days for 2 people for that kind of an install sounds pretty darn good to me. Nice power gain above your already good bone stock numbers. I did want to add one thing though. If I state my power numbers using your method of taking the highest HP and Highest TQ from each run then my HP is 390 and TQ is 311 (4th gear run was 387 HP and 311 TQ, 3rd gear run was 390 HP and 302 TQ) and I am using SAE vs STD for the correction factor.

Last edited by dal1307; 02-13-2011 at 01:25 AM.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:39 AM
Fezzik

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by dal1307
Thanks Fezzik and kudos to you and your buddy on the install. That is a pretty involved job to take on. Two full days for 2 people for that kind of an install sounds pretty darn good to me. Nice power gain above your already good bone stock numbers. I did want to add one thing though. If I state my power numbers using your method of taking the highest HP and Highest TQ from each run then my HP is 390 and TQ is 311 (4th gear run was 387 HP and 311 TQ, 3rd gear run was 390 HP and 302 TQ) and I am using SAE vs STD for the correction factor.

I did 4 runs. 1 in 3rd 2 in 4th and 1 in 5th gear to show doubters that it doesnt make much of a difference what gear you are in. You still want to be close to 1:1 ratio but it doesnt make a huge difference. Also I did the std b/c that is what stillen and GTM had on theirs so I matched. It actually made the hp lower and tq number higher by 1-2. That's it. Not much else.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:03 AM
Q8y_drifter

Received 39 Likes on 9 Posts
dal1307, why did the dyno run stop before 7,500rpm? You had about 700rpm or so before redline.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:18 AM
Weiboy718

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Q8y_drifter
dal1307, why did the dyno run stop before 7,500rpm? You had about 700rpm or so before redline.
speed governor I think. Wouldn't let him past a certain speed on his auto
Old 02-13-2011, 10:35 AM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
ya 155 mph . it sucks
Old 02-13-2011, 11:10 AM
Q8y_drifter

If he has the uprev tuning cable, then he should be able to remove the restriction. I set mine at 250mph. I'm surprised they didn't do that already when it was tuned for the SC.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:51 AM
soolman32

Received 127 Likes on 108 Posts
Is that whp or crank power figures? I'm interested in the GTM SC.

Originally Posted by Fezzik
Base 280hp/240tq

428.5/341.2tq

Old 02-13-2011, 12:04 PM
Q8y_drifter

Those are WHP figures. Dyno's are rarely BHP unless they are specifically converted or you are using an engine dyno.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:54 PM
GraphiteG37S

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Q8y_drifter
If he has the uprev tuning cable, then he should be able to remove the restriction. I set mine at 250mph. I'm surprised they didn't do that already when it was tuned for the SC.
Idk about the euro models, but the USDM G37 can't seem to remove the governor even with UpRev... Same thing happened with mine, had to dyno in 3rd gear..

Quick Reply: GTM and Stillen SC Install Facts and Results Thread