Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Definitive break in period

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 11:45 PM
Bo2point0

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Definitive break in period

So I bought my 2011 G37 sedan 6mt (mouth full) in the beginning of December 2010.

I have 2200 miles, all freeway, on my car now and have been hearing about break in period.

What is the standard break in period? This car has crazy resin coated pistons.

I have yet to take the engine past 5500 rpm, when I hit 2000 miles I did it once and felt uneasy about it.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:49 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
lol, you are fine. go and have fun.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:59 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Read the manual, it's all in there.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:08 AM
Bo2point0

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
Read the manual, it's all in there.
"I was elected to lead, not to read"
Old 01-21-2011, 12:21 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts
Originally Posted by Bo2point0
"I was elected to lead, not to read"
Pretty much just keep the RPMs fluctuating (not using cruise control) for the first thousand miles. I'd probably change your oil now, then again at 5k.
I change mine at 1k, then 5k then every 5k thereafter w/ Syn oil.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:37 AM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
i took mine past 4,000 revs before the initial break period was over. i read someone that in a comparison between an engine that had been broken in "properly" versus one that was broken in via "driven like it was stolen" or with one's "typical driving standard" and the latter showed better internals. just sayin' have fun!
Old 01-21-2011, 01:07 AM
smashhell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, I read the manual for you.

The break-in period is 1250 miles. Don't go above 4000 RPM. And let car idle for 30 seconds before driving.

You're welcome.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:10 AM
crazjayz
Registered Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Break-in period.

Break your car's engine.

Take it in for maintenance.

Period.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:40 AM
roots4x

I don't think Nissan/Infiniti has changed their break-in period recommendations since the original 280Z. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just use common sense.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:55 AM
clutch5

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bo2point0
What is the standard break in period?

Here is an often-discussed approach, and even though it was written for high performance motorcycle engines, it is recommended often on forums discussing high performance car models that have some tendency for oil consumption in some percentage of cars.

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

(I'm not recommending it; never tried it. Many people seem to believe in the method though, and at the very least it's an interesting concept which car manufacturer lawyers would never embrace even if it was unanimously proven to be a better approach than what owners manuals say).
Old 01-21-2011, 11:29 AM
Falcons023

Originally Posted by clutch5
Here is an often-discussed approach, and even though it was written for high performance motorcycle engines, it is recommended often on forums discussing high performance car models that have some tendency for oil consumption in some percentage of cars.

(I'm not recommending it; never tried it. Many people seem to believe in the method though, and at the very least it's an interesting concept which car manufacturer lawyers would never embrace even if it was unanimously proven to be a better approach than what owners manuals say).
Very Interesting article....Logically, it makes sense. To try it on my vehicle...it's too late. I got 2650 miles on my odo.

I do recall that when i first test drove my vehicle...which was just off the truck with all covers on & 14 miles on it, i floored it few times during those 5 test miles. When i bought the car, it has 31 miles on it.

Not sure...which to follow or believe. I am past the break in either way. I am going to just enjoy my ride.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:00 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by clutch5

I've seen that discredited by many engine builders. Any dyno claims are always well within the margin of error and everything else is anecdotal evidence. Sure he has lots of piston to "prove" his method is better but that's hardly a controlled comparison.

I just do what the manufacturer says to do in the manual.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:22 PM
clutch5

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
I've seen that discredited by many engine builders...Sure he has lots of piston to "prove" his method is better but that's hardly a controlled comparison.
Do the discrediting accounts you've seen base that on a controlled experiment or are their claims equally anecdotal?

Since oil consumption (combustion) is what the method allegedly cures, it sure seems a controlled experiment is possible (but it would be expensive since you'd need multiple virgin cars as samples).

It's possible it might vary by engine model, probably by oil type and viscosity too. That adds more variables and more expense to the controlled experiment.

Manufacturers have no motivation to do it since most of them use the claim that up to 1 quart of oil consumption per 1000 miles is "normal."
Old 01-21-2011, 12:36 PM
pauliewalnutzz
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Rtfm......
Old 01-21-2011, 12:39 PM
PeterUbers

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
by all means... drive it like you stole it -- you're done breaking it in, I couldn't resist the urge after 500 miles ...

Quick Reply: Definitive break in period