Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Definitive break in period

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 01:16 PM
2009G37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do what the manual says as well, for comfort of mind. All it all, it probably doesn't matter either way (it doesn't mean redlining the car from day 1 is good, it may just not make much of any difference). Many high performance cars are tested at the factory. Take a look at the Veyron, R8, Ferarris...etc. All these engines are tested at the factory to make sure they generate the power they claim. The Nissan GT-R is taken around the Tochigi plant track 9 times to break in the brakes before the car is shipped out. I'm sure they're not keeping things under 4000 rpm like the GT-R manual suggests. Just use common sense.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:59 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by clutch5
Do the discrediting accounts you've seen base that on a controlled experiment or are their claims equally anecdotal?
No, they're not presenting counter claims just pointing out that his "proof" and testing processes are not valid.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:02 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2009G37
I do what the manual says as well, for comfort of mind. All it all, it probably doesn't matter either way (it doesn't mean redlining the car from day 1 is good, it may just not make much of any difference). Many high performance cars are tested at the factory. Take a look at the Veyron, R8, Ferarris...etc. All these engines are tested at the factory to make sure they generate the power they claim. The Nissan GT-R is taken around the Tochigi plant track 9 times to break in the brakes before the car is shipped out. I'm sure they're not keeping things under 4000 rpm like the GT-R manual suggests. Just use common sense.
The GT-R engine (and Mercedes AMG engines) are broken in after being built but before they're put into the car.